Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM

319 posts, read 964,309 times

Advertisements

really nice pix.makes me want to fire up the motorcycle>>>>>

Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 AM

35 posts, read 97,157 times
just thought i'd chime in... we are not 100% sure if we are staying or going. our current plan is to move to grand haven, mi in about 2 years. better schools, cheaper houses, beaches, 4 seasons, better shopping, more entertainment....i could go on. i know the economy isn't so great there, and my dh has a great job here. i guess you just have to pick your battles. both of us moved here with parents as kids, he's from cali and i'm from ct. neither of us feel like VT is home, but we also feel comfortable here. deciding to change is the hardest part! maybe someday....

Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 PM

104 posts, read 491,944 times
going to Quebec (north of Montreal) when my kids are off to college. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Vermont and I will miss it but it's a 2 hour drive and can come back.
My family is there and it's a little hard to be a middleage single woman in a rural state.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 PM

23 posts, read 102,782 times
Some of the places I have considered in the past are:

Medford Oregon (Pretty area, but expensive homes and a problem economy)
Raleigh North Carolina (Cheap housing, nice weather, economy?)
Colorado Springs Colorado (Cheap housing, lots of sunshine, economy?)
Madison Wisconsin (Cheap housing, Vermont like climate, and it seems like they still have lots of jobs).

Just took a job in Morrisville (Vermont), so probably not going to move anywhere else until the depression is over. Would like to buy a house in Morrisville, but finding a decent place in the 120K range is difficult at best. There are some fixer uppers and a couple of foreclosures, but I am not a carpenter, plumber, electrician, or even a landscaper. However, given the housing prices (especially on the low end of the spectrum) will likely be quite resilient in contrast to the rest of the country (Act 250 pretty much guarantees that), it may be worth the effort to learn how to fix up a place.

For me its the age old, rent versus buy decision. I am leaning towards buying....with the tax breaks and this year's 8K kickback.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
In Alaska I'll have no state taxes. No sales tax, no income tax, no property tax, no building permits, no building codes, no zoning. Hunting/fishing license fees are pretty comparable to VT for residents, even lower with the $5 combination license if you have below a certain income. Haven't checked vehicle fees but I'm ditching the car anyways. Low taxes: the benefits of a small-government state where the government largely stays out of your life (although good God don't get caught poaching up there, you'd think you murdered someone ). Actually, after a couple years when I qualify, they'll be paying me to live there (though it's really not much considering how expensive things are there, but my land will literally be paying for itself given the average PFD amount in recent years).
dream on dream on oh dreamer.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismpv View Post
going to Quebec (north of Montreal) when my kids are off to college. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Vermont and I will miss it but it's a 2 hour drive and can come back.
My family is there and it's a little hard to be a middleage single woman in a rural state.
primary language is french.when i was there they didnt like yanks.and if u dont speak the lingo thier not nice.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,137,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscious View Post
primary language is french.when i was there they didnt like yanks.and if u dont speak the lingo thier not nice.
The primary language there is French, but after that my experience differs. My husband and I have traveled extensively through Quebec and found the people to be welcoming and friendly. Sometimes we would just speak English with them, other times I would attempt my very sad French. Despite my mangling of the language, they remained patient and kind.

100% nice people? Of course not. That doesn't happen anywhere that I'm aware of. Our overall experience of Quebec, however, is very positive. We always look forward to returning.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,087,868 times
When we went camping in New Brunswick, Canada we had a few Quebec people near us. One group was extremely snooty and would not acknowledge me when I said her little boy was cute (we both had toddlers the same age). She may not have known English, though I doubt it because Canada is bilingual...oh well, her loss.

Another family was camped across from us and they had a little girl toddling around who actually kept running away when the mother wasn't looking...I finally had to shout something in my very poor French. (something about the little girl...le petite fille... you know...).

I would love to go to Montreal but my husband (British) is not thrilled at the idea of being surrounded by 'Francophones..' I think it would be a great experience...like going to France but closer.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Default diffrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
The primary language there is French, but after that my experience differs. My husband and I have traveled extensively through Quebec and found the people to be welcoming and friendly. Sometimes we would just speak English with them, other times I would attempt my very sad French. Despite my mangling of the language, they remained patient and kind.

100% nice people? Of course not. That doesn't happen anywhere that I'm aware of. Our overall experience of Quebec, however, is very positive. We always look forward to returning.
having to wear the uniform of a united states marine during the nam probable did make a diffrence.now that u remind me...at least they didnt spit on us like in boston.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:00 PM

Default grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

it is a grand magnificent city i did like it over all.and yes we did meet nice understanding people who invited us into thier homes for a meal.

Last edited by unconscious; 03-29-2009 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont