Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:28 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. Where are you folks who want to exit going?
For us, the jury of whether we are staying here long term or not is not in yet. As you know, I have not found much work in this area and I am getting a bit tired of waiting to 'have a life' due to unemployment.

Yesterday my husband mentioned he may not want to stay here long term if things don't pick up.

We love the area, the school, and so on but I don't know...

So, where will YOU go when you leave Vermont?

Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm curious. Where are you folks who want to exit going?
For us, the jury of whether we are staying here long term or not is not in yet. As you know, I have not found much work in this area and I am getting a bit tired of waiting to 'have a life' due to unemployment.

Yesterday my husband mentioned he may not want to stay here long term if things don't pick up.

We love the area, the school, and so on but I don't know...

So, where will YOU go when you leave Vermont?
I will eventually retire in Wisconsin. I have family there and it's the kind of lifestyle I'm looking, for but much cheaper than New England.

But I'm loving it here right now.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 AM

19 posts, read 53,222 times
I'm looking to leave VT as well...I'm pretty much down to three cities - Phoenix, Des Moines, and Tampa. I liked Phoenix (more specifically Tempe) and Des Moines when I visited them recently, but I have family in the Tampa area and am visiting in March as I haven't been there in years. I'm hoping to move by the summer when my lease is up

Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Alaska.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
Default We'll probably retire to N.C.

My dh and I love living here, but I can't imagine being able to stay past retirement. Even when our house is paid off, the taxes will still be high. Plus our social security will be taxed. Not to mention the fact that harsh, long winters are tough on old bones. I don't want to be pushing the snow-blower up my 400-foot driveway when I'm 65.

We'll probably head to N.C. We have family there, the weather is great except for during the hottest summer months and taxes are low. My BIL pays $1,200 a year for a 5,000-square-foot McMansion in Cary. We'll probably be able to buy a modest little home with cash and pay a few hundred a year in taxes.

Also, as someone who was raised in very diverse northern N.J. it would be nice to live in a less homogeneous place than Vermont. While I've never encountered overt racism here (I stand out a bit as an olive-skinned Italian/Hispanic with black hair and green eyes) I get my share of double takes and "you're not from around here, are you" looks. I'd prefer to live somewhere where I could blend in better, if that makes sense.

It's sad that our state's politicians are doing nothing to encourage people to stay here or to fix the economic problems that are forcing so many people to leave. I really don't see this changing anytime soon.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,988 times
I'm planning to retire or semi-retire to Maine, either down east or up by Baxter State Park. Could be I'll be staying right here too.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
Still looking and researching. Still want a four season climate and be in the Appalachian Trail corridor. Kind of been focusing on NW Virginia and into the Cumberland Valley area of Pa. Big urban amenities close by is unnecessary, but nice to be a few hours from for occasional trips. As we are really past the age to launch into an extended full-time career, still need a region with growth and variety for employment needs and options. Want to also be closer to the military Commissary/Exchange system and therefore have found that in Pa Carlisle Barracks has that full range while not being a major installation. Kind of stuck in limbo right now due to an upcoming deployment, but once that is done I will have locked in my retirement and be able to separate should I chose to. It is really a maze out there when comparing and contrasting areas. Climate and geography is easy, but it is hard at times to get an accurate portrayal on total expenses when it comes to taxes. While it is true that many southern states/counties/towns have low property taxes you have to watch out for personal property taxes and even taxes on groceries which is something I have never experienced. The work situation can be harsh pretty much anywhere right now, but one thing I have noted is that even when I came here to Vt when times were so to speak good it was difficult to get and maintain work. This fact is also supported from the locals I have met here who seem to all have lost jobs between the recession periods, most being the result of their employers actually leaving state.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Climate and geography is easy, but it is hard at times to get an accurate portrayal on total expenses when it comes to taxes. While it is true that many southern states/counties/towns have low property taxes you have to watch out for personal property taxes and even taxes on groceries which is something I have never experienced.
I've discovered that taxing methods might be different, but it all comes out the same at the end. I've lived in several states and I've never felt like I was
getting a good or bad deal on taxes. It's like going to an auto dealer and getting to choose no down payment, $1500 back, or zero percent financing.
In the end it's the same.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I've discovered that taxing methods might be different, but it all comes out the same at the end. I've lived in several states and I've never felt like I was
getting a good or bad deal on taxes. It's like going to an auto dealer and getting to choose no down payment, $1500 back, or zero percent financing.
No it does vary. Mainly because of government size. VT is a big government state, which requires more heavy taxation than a state with less government programs.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Right you are. The true measure of affordability has to be gleaned from other cost of living parameters. Health care, energy, food, and other consumer goods can and do vary considerably. In my case using the before mentioned Commissary (average 30% savings) and Exchange (no sales tax) just enhances purchasing power in a region that already has lower cost of living aspects. Another aspect of Pa that might prove to be of value is that all retirement income is exempt from income tax (including distributions from 401s etc) and whatever earned income you do get is only taxed at a flat rate which is lower than even Vt's lowest bracket. I guess this explains why Pa is reportedly second in the nation only behind Fla in terms of retired population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont