Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,109,933 times

Advertisements

Tri-state folks..NY, NJ, CT...

Jobs here are the biggest issue in Vermont. Getting a good job is very, very hard. (unless you are hooked up or lucky). Otherwise, the taxes are a lot less than in NYC suburban NY (I know that area the best). Of course, if you NEED a McMansion or a huge house then you will find some issues.

It is a good place for retiring if you like snow and cold. The days after a storm are usually lovely, sunny and they clean the roads off fine where I live.

You will not have the excitement of malls every few miles or 10,000 restaurants but you will realize shopping is not your life and really to live to shop is a shallow waste of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 AM

10 posts, read 71,988 times
amen to that gypsy

Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,765,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieck View Post
I am also considering a move to Vermont to escape the rat race of NJ and the taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkop View Post
And I thought I was the only one ..
Oh noooo, you're not! It's not just taxes... We just got an auto insurance quote from an office in Vermont last Tuesday - it would cost half (1/2!) to insure our cars in Vermont as it currently costs in NJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You will not have the excitement of malls every few miles or 10,000 restaurants but you will realize shopping is not your life and really to live to shop is a shallow waste of life.
Amen sister!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,614 times
I fully agree that vehicle insurance is cheaper than in many other states and when I arrived it was a pleasant surprise. However, the added other costs and taxes have far outpaced any savings on my auto insurance for my three vehicles. The money I saved on insurance did not end up in my wallet to spend on personal discretionary spending, it was merely rerouted to cover other required expenses. Just something to beware of for folks that are counting dollars.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:22 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,150,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Oh noooo, you're not! It's not just taxes... We just got an auto insurance quote from an office in Vermont last Tuesday - it would cost half (1/2!) to insure our cars in Vermont as it currently costs in NJ.
Amen sister!
But you'll be paying that insurance with half the salary here in Vermont.

Again, don't look at just the cost of houses, taxes etc. Think about the paycheck you received in 1985-that's what you'll be paying with.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,614 times
A good point on the wage to cost comparison. As an example, everybody seems to think that state employees are so well paid. Well, do the math. Looks like we will can 660 employees for a savings of $17 million per year which translates to less than $26k per employee. There sure are not that many cheap rest area attendants and other menial jobs in that 660 count. So, yes, beware of implied savings as your wage may surely be comparable to something you may have seen quite some time ago.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 AM

85 posts, read 250,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
A good point on the wage to cost comparison. As an example, everybody seems to think that state employees are so well paid. Well, do the math. Looks like we will can 660 employees for a savings of $17 million per year which translates to less than $26k per employee. There sure are not that many cheap rest area attendants and other menial jobs in that 660 count. So, yes, beware of implied savings as your wage may surely be comparable to something you may have seen quite some time ago.
Flu, in your opinion, where do you think state corrections rates for wage? I know they throw out an annual expected salary but knowing there is OT readily available, is this a viable source of income? Again, any opinions are welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont