Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 03:43 PM

20 posts, read 71,174 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to Montpelier....

Are there any areas that are "worse" than others? Any areas to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
If I'm reading your post correct, you are looking for the best part or parts of Montpelier? Monpelier is a nice town. I wouldn't say there is a bad part or a good part. The town is small. You can walk through the whole town in about 5 minutes.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
I wouldn't call Montpelier a small town but a small city. I assume 68 is referring to the downtown area where you can walk thru in 5 min but when you live in the city of Montpelier it's much more than just the downturn area.

I really enjoyed the 3 years I lived there. Loved walking from my place on Elm St, it's a half mile to the downtown area so it took me about 10 minutes, to the awesome library or the grocery store. There is a small version of a major grocery chain downtown which is great if you like walking vs driving.

Being the state capitol it's a busy little burg and at times walking is faster than driving anyway. About 7,000 residents but 10,000 work in Montpelier. I drive to Montpelier about once a week and usually park on State St near the capitol and walk to the downtown area. About a 3 min walk to the center of town.

Lots of interesting areas like the Hubbard Park for great hiking and x-c skiing within city limits. The College Ave area, extreme right side of pic, is gorgeous with 3 small colleges.

I also agree that there really is not any bad areas but some consider Barre St area abit rough. The Hunger Mountain Food Co-op is awesome. Several great restaurants and bars.

Montpelier even has a minor league baseball team but understand it's at the lowest level, even lower than the old Vermont Expos team up in Burlington, of pro ball but still fun and cheap to see if your a baseball fan.

SkiMRV Gallery (http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album33&id=montpe lier&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=vi ew_photo.php - broken link)

If you do search there are a bunch of threads about Montpelier. Here is one with pics
https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...er-photos.html

Last edited by MRVphotog; 01-14-2009 at 10:01 PM..

Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 PM

20 posts, read 71,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I wouldn't call Montpelier a small town but a small city. I assume 68 is referring to the downtown area where you can walk thru in 5 min but when you live in the city of Montpelier it's much more than just the downturn area.

I really enjoyed the 3 years I lived there. Loved walking from my place on Elm St, it's a half mile to the downtown area so it took me about 10 minutes, to the awesome library or the grocery store. There is a small version of a major grocery chain downtown which is great if you like walking vs driving.

Being the state capitol it's a busy little burg and at times walking is faster than driving anyway. About 7,000 residents but 10,000 work in Montpelier. I drive to Montpelier about once a week and usually park on State St near the capitol and walk to the downtown area. About a 3 min walk to the center of town.

Lots of interesting areas like the Hubbard Park for great hiking and x-c skiing within city limits. The College Ave area, extreme right side of pic, is gorgeous with 3 small colleges.

I also agree that there really is not any bad areas but some consider Barre St area abit rough. The Hunger Mountain Food Co-op is awesome. Several great restaurants and bars.

Montpelier even has a minor league baseball team but understand it's at the lowest level, even lower than the old Vermont Expos team up in Burlington, of pro ball but still fun and cheap to see if your a baseball fan.

SkiMRV Gallery (http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album33&id=montpe lier&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=vi ew_photo.php - broken link)

If you do search there are a bunch of threads about Montpelier. Here is one with pics
https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...er-photos.html
Would you avoid Barre Street? I actually heard bad things about Elm street to a certain extent, but you seem to be doing well with no complaints. Of course some people have varying opinions on what bad is....

Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiptomylou View Post
Would you avoid Barre Street? I actually heard bad things about Elm street to a certain extent, but you seem to be doing well with no complaints. Of course some people have varying opinions on what bad is....
The first couple of blocks of Elm St from State St has low income government housing, I lived several blocks north. I lived there 96-98. I rented an apartment in a nice big old victorian with a beautiful carriage house next to Woodbury College. There were some apartment buildings in the area which rented to Sec 8(welfare) clients which were kinda run down.

Best thing is to check it out for yourself.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,756 times
I don't know what it's like nowadays, but Barre street was always a bit of a rough area when I was growing up. The "meadow" - the Elm street area near Hubbard Park was always pretty nice (I used to work at a meat market near there when I was in high school called Downing's Market - it's supposedly now a catering place/bakery owned by Sandra Bullock's sister).

I seem to recall that there was some gov't housing on Elm St. close to downtown, but it tapered off up as you got further out, especially past the Masonic Temple. Lower state street was also a tad rough when I was growing up

The College St. area always seemed nice to me. I lived on Cross St., right behind Main Street School, and the Cross/North St. areas were pretty nice back then (70's & 80's). Not sure how useful this information is today, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont