Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM
pth

274 posts, read 459,257 times

Advertisements

I lived in burlington and worked at the outdoor gear exchange there and one of my buddies from the shop has recently moved out to boulder and loves it.

I think if you can deal with the really freakin cold winters then youll love it. Church street has some really cool bars...but only if you dont need the energy of a big city (like denver, for example.)

I will say that the best sunsets possible occur over lake champlain with the adirondacks in the backdrop. There are lots of parks around so that you can cliff jump in the summer. It's a beautiful place and I miss it. But we're currently lookin' at oregon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM

322 posts, read 710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Hi Shipresa,
As a side note the family and I just go back from Glasgow, we make an annual to semi annual trip over to Scotland or Italy to see family and explore. Of anywhere we have ever traveled, the Scots are the most outgoing, friendly people we have ever met. My wife would give her right arm to live in the Stirling or Bridge of Allen area.
If you want to stay away from tourists, avoid the Woodstock area. It's just as bad as the Stowe area when it comes to tourists. Another thing to consider for your husband is travel. It sounds like he would need to fly to get to the hubs you mention. In that case, you might want to consider living closer to Burlington or even the Norwich area to have access to the NH or Boston airports. Places like Jamaica or more remote areas would be a huge commute to get to an airport (couple hours one way).
The state passed a state wide health bill this past year. The details have not been worked out on how it will be paid for, but it does sound like it will be based on income. It's not free healthcare as some thought. What you have to pay is based on income. The poor pay less or possibly nothing and the wealthier will pay more.
If Vermont is an option for you, why not look into the areas north of Albany in NY or even th area south of Plattsbugh. You would be close to airports, family and the area is just as nice as Vermont. Outside of lake George, the area is not a tourist trap.
We are leaving for Edinburgh in a few weeks. (Don't worry, I prefer the Glaswegian accent...) And yes, there are areas of Stirlingshire that are drop dead gorgeous. I didn't want to add in the post, but the other location we are considering is areas north of Glasgow, so hubby can take the train in to Glasgow for work. The Trossach loch areas are simply perfect, and quality of life lovely. Its just the tax bite and government situation that upsets my husband to no end. (This is how I learned to swear in Scottish.) And buying a home with land in Scotland is quite pricey, and we take a value hit converting USD to Pounds. The exchange rate is really against us.

You are spot on about north of Albany. It was one of the original thoughts about going back to the north east. I've lived in Saratoga area before, and love it. Bennington is another town east of Albany we've considered, so it would be an exercise in which state is a better deal for high earners.

Correct point about the commute to an airport. Just seems everyone goes toward Burlington...

Old 08-22-2011, 12:27 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Bennington to Albany Airport is only about an hour. I'd keep that area on your list. The Berkshires of Mass are nice as well. Saratoga is nice too but you'll be dealing with tourists there!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM

322 posts, read 710,427 times
Hmmm...of course, the NW corner of Massachusetts has some gorgeous nature out there too! And close to all that NE has to offer, and still to the Adirondacks for family.

I'll need to look at Massachusetts as a state for taxes, etc. now, and its a zip to NYC and Boston from there. Great reminder! Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont