Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,319 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family and i are looking to move from north carolina to vermont. North carolina is not the place for us, it is to humid and hot in the summer, the crime is really bad my house was broken into two weeks ago. Also the schools are really bad with gangs. I live in a small town just outside of the triangle with only about 7,000 people. My husband is looking for a job in vermont, My family and i are looking for good schools a nice town, low crime rate. We are looking in the woodstock area, we are also looking to rent first if anyone know of a place could you messages me. I really hope vermont has what we are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM

31 posts, read 210,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckm View Post
Hello, My family and i are looking to move from north carolina to vermont. North carolina is not the place for us, it is to humid and hot in the summer, the crime is really bad my house was broken into two weeks ago. Also the schools are really bad with gangs. I live in a small town just outside of the triangle with only about 7,000 people. My husband is looking for a job in vermont, My family and i are looking for good schools a nice town, low crime rate. We are looking in the woodstock area, we are also looking to rent first if anyone know of a place could you messages me. I really hope vermont has what we are looking for.
You can scroll through previous posts on this site, there is a new 'moving to VT almost every-week', to get some insight that has already been given. There is great advice from both sides of the moving conversation. Some are very pro-vermont, others not so much. My family is also making the trek northward from the deep south, difference between myself and them usually is, that I have relatives to 'borrow a cup of sugar' from when needed, and someplace to gather for the holidays in VT.

If I could make an additional suggestion, New Hampshire and upstate New York, would be excellent choices for your consideration as well. May sound crazy on a "VT" board, but the economic condition in Central and Southern NH is a world apart from VT. (but everything works in cycles, VT will get there one day...)

In my personal (yankee) opinion, any part of New England is better than the South. Do your research though, know what you are getting into before moving.

Best of luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Thank you vermontnative, for the information.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,673,994 times
I am a very pro-Vermont person, but the one thing that you constantly hear from the naysayers (they might not think of themselves that way) is that the economy is challenging, so I would be very cautious about moving here without having a job in hand.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:17 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,525,608 times
Woodstock is a rather overpriced touristy area. I'd reconsider focusing on Woodstock.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 PM

arctichomesteader, could you give me a list of some towns that are in the upper valley area?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,277,685 times
Upper Valley? Hartford, Hartland, Thetford, Norwich, Sharon, Royalton, Pomfret, Strafford.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM

thank you vter, I will start looking at the areas.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,673,994 times
Just so you know, we had fifteen inches here in Montpelier a couple of hours ago and it's showing no sign of slowing down.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,277,685 times
What about work? How do you plan to support yourself financially? Very small population here = very small job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont