Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:40 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,508,592 times

Advertisements

I'm concerned. I'm concerned about living in the area if I move to Brattleboro. The plant is aging, and there have been two mishaps within the last week or so. Workers have complained, I think, about safety issues for a while.

The situation may even affect my decision to move to Brattleboro.

I'm not sure what to think, actually. I believe designs have been changed since Chernobyl, so that a Chernobyl-like accident is highly unlikely, maybe even impossible. But I have also learned to distrust what I read or hear.

I think a bigger threat is the eventual inabiity of southern Vemont's power grid to handle the area's electrical needs. But I'm no expert on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 AM

89 posts, read 317,703 times
Actually there have been no civilian reactors built in the United States since Chenobyl and of course Chernobyl is an inappropriate example in the first place. The Chernobyl reactor was built to shoddy Russian standards not the same saftey and triple redundant standars as Western world reactors.

Although nothing is ever impossible nuclear energy is by far the cleanest form of massed produced energy available to us at this time. Wind and solar may have their places but they are not overly reliable and not effiecient uses of the land for providing large amounts of power into the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I'm concerned. I'm concerned about living in the area if I move to Brattleboro. The plant is aging, and there have been two mishaps within the last week or so. Workers have complained, I think, about safety issues for a while.

The situation may even affect my decision to move to Brattleboro.

I'm not sure what to think, actually. I believe designs have been changed since Chernobyl, so that a Chernobyl-like accident is highly unlikely, maybe even impossible. But I have also learned to distrust what I read or hear.

I think a bigger threat is the eventual inabiity of southern Vemont's power grid to handle the area's electrical needs. But I'm no expert on this.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM

100 posts, read 382,002 times
Default Another CT opinion

I moved here 10 years ago from CT and I wouldn't move back to CT either. Housing prices here should be much cheaper than CT.

I do agree with some of the others to rent first, this way you can figure out exactly where you do want to finally live.

Why not Vernon?

What exactly are you looking for in the town that you live in?

Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,838,921 times
People are always complaining about property taxes in Vermont...the town of Vernon has the lowest(by far) in the state.

On the other hand....Maine Yankee, located just downriver from Wiscasset had the same problem a few years ago. They shut it down, they tore it down...end of problem.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 AM

100 posts, read 382,002 times
Default VT property taxes

Vernon has the lowest property taxes around.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM

16 posts, read 36,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodie6321 View Post

So, I recommend Guilford or Vernon, though Brattleboro may be kind of nice, Dummerston is too rural for me and Putney is too remote for me.

I know this post is fairly old, though if I'm looking, it's possible others are too.

The quote above represents my favorite thing about VT. All of these towns are within 15 miles of each other, and while all being fairly liberal, they offer completely different amenities and styles of living. If you want to live in the country, but enjoy the city from time to time as well, hey, NYC is just a short train ride from Brattleboro or Bellows Falls. You're not going to get that everywhere.

The region is also surprisingly bike friendly. You won't see many cyclists (especially if you take main roads), but again, that's the charm. Dirt road riding is a thing of pride here and I can generally ride 3 or so hours without seeing more than ten cars. Those ten cars also knew how to interact with me as well giving plenty of room. Cycling may not be an important factor for you, but it's a plus to know the drivers are fairly attentive (unless you see a RI or CT plate, those guys are crazy! haha)

Hope your move ended up well.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 AM

31 posts, read 210,649 times
"I know this post is fairly old, though if I'm looking, it's possible others are too."

Yes, I was deep into page three before I realized the post was from 2007...

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont