Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 AM

210 posts, read 499,354 times

Advertisements

Did quote for both companies' truck and Penske is almost twice cheaper. Why? Any thoughts? Relocation out of my pocket, but tax deductible. We are looking for a long ride fro San Diego to Burlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,039,375 times
Because U-Haul is a rip.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:47 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,145,705 times
When I moved to Vermont (1000 mile move) I used a company, don't recall name, that delivered a large truck to my home. I loaded part of the truck
with my stuff and they drove it to my new home where I unloaded it. I only used about a quarter of the truck so my stuff was walled off and the rest of the truck was loaded for other deliveries in Vermont, maybe other families moving or commercial deliveries, I don't know. It was a lot cheaper than hiring professional movers or renting a truck and paying mileage charges.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:39 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,523,683 times
Uhaul sucks.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 AM

23,612 posts, read 70,504,176 times
The general moving forum section may have better responses. But...
I HATE U-Haul - don't even get me started.
Penske and the others are better, but the real bargain is
ABF UPack
http://www.upack.com/
When you figure in the cost of gas and tolls on top of the rental truck prices, ABF beats any price going. Add to that the fact that you don't have to be driving a big and often uncomfortable truck, and can either drive your own or a rental car, or fly, it just gets better and better. Top it off with ABF being willing to store your stuff until you are ready for it, eliminating renting a storage unit and another packing and unpacking, and the deal is unbeatable.

A friend tip me off to the company and we used it. Couldn't be more happy with the ease of doing business and professionalism.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,145,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The general moving forum section may have better responses. But...
I HATE U-Haul - don't even get me started.
Penske and the others are better, but the real bargain is
ABF UPack
http://www.upack.com/
When you figure in the cost of gas and tolls on top of the rental truck prices, ABF beats any price going. Add to that the fact that you don't have to be driving a big and often uncomfortable truck, and can either drive your own or a rental car, or fly, it just gets better and better. Top it off with ABF being willing to store your stuff until you are ready for it, eliminating renting a storage unit and another packing and unpacking, and the deal is unbeatable.

A friend tip me off to the company and we used it. Couldn't be more happy with the ease of doing business and professionalism.
Yes, that is the company I used and referred to above. A seamless move. Our final cost was considerably lower than the estimate.

If someone wants to move themselves however, I understand Penske will match lower prices, if you can find any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont