Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. So I just booked a week long camping trip to Ricker Pond campground in August. I chose it because it is small and looks quiet and I got a prime spot right on the pond. Have any of you been there? What's it like? I've never been to the area. Can you give me recommendations on what to see and do in the area?
I'll also be spending a few nights in Burlington at the end of my camping trip (the deal I made with my partner was that if we do 6 nights camping we'll spend a few nights in a hotel at the end ...the only way I could get him to camp that long lol) We are so looking forward to visiting Vermont.
Any info or reviews would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 06:18 PM

hmm.. nobody? :-(

Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Groton isn't Disneyworld. Get a copy of Walden Pond, an old Boy Scout manual, enjoy the time warp.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
I love Ricker Pond State Park, in fact I love it so much that it is my "go to" campground in VT.
If you are on the water make sure you have a canoe. There are families who camp there but the nice thing is the campground gets silent after 11pm. You will be able to skinny dip if that's your bag.

I am usually there for a long weekend so I haven't needed to find anything to do beyond some sight seeing and hiking, but generally we stay on the pond and swim/canoe.

It also an hour and a half from Montreal which is a nice town to visit.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Groton isn't Disneyworld. Get a copy of Walden Pond, an old Boy Scout manual, enjoy the time warp.

nice ... a time warp is exactly what I'm looking for!

Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
There is "nothing to do" in the nearby area in the sense of what I call manufactured recreation. All there is to do is enjoy your natural surrounds. Bike, hike, swim, fish, canoe/kayak. Montpelier is about a 1/2 mile away if you'd like to go out to dinner/lunch. Cabot Creamery is nearby if you'd like to visit the factory. If you like craft brews make the trek to Hill Farmstead in Greensboro (45-60 minutes maybe?).
Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-21-2017, 09:10 AM

809 posts, read 998,220 times
Sounds like heaven to me, Vter!

Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Sounds like heaven to me, Vter!

me too!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I love Ricker Pond State Park, in fact I love it so much that it is my "go to" campground in VT.
If you are on the water make sure you have a canoe. There are families who camp there but the nice thing is the campground gets silent after 11pm. You will be able to skinny dip if that's your bag.

I am usually there for a long weekend so I haven't needed to find anything to do beyond some sight seeing and hiking, but generally we stay on the pond and swim/canoe.

It also an hour and a half from Montreal which is a nice town to visit.

I have site 22 right on the water. I have an inflatable kayak too ... love it. Is the pond connected to the larger lake above it? hard to tell on maps.
We've both been to Montreal before, so we decided to spend a few days in Burlington.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 PM

605 posts, read 625,179 times
Generally Vermont state campgrounds are quite nice but they lack nighttime security. Ricker Pond seemed idyllic to me when I camped there . . . until about 10 pm when a massive bachelor's party arrived and raised hell for several hours. It was a drunken brawl with music that could be heard for miles. Very bad experience.

I had an almost identical experience once at Elmore State Park---late-night wedding party with 50-100 people---except this time a drunk party goer got in his car and rammed another car. No sign of any park staff at either incident and no one called the police after the accident. There are similar problems (alcohol, noise, vandalism) at the remote campsites on Waterbury Reservoir plus car break-ins at all of the canoe access sites around the reservoir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont