Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,775 times

Advertisements

The Retreat is one of two short term "crisis" psychiatric facilities in the state. It has been around forever and seems to have a solid reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,579 times
this is some good input. the working environment at holyoke medical center's psychiatric unit is very nice and comforting to work in and i am glad that we don't have to deal with these issues. holyoke is just past northampton and there is some price friendly areas around the city of holyoke

Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,432 times
whoooaa....we are considering a move to Brattleboro and this is all giving me pause. I am considering a job at the Retreat but after reading these posts the idea makes me uncomfortable. Do you think it matters what unit you're in? I would be a social worker /therapist in the adult substance abuse unit. Also, I'm shocked at the comments about the COL in Brattleboro. One of the reasons we're considering the move is for monetary reasons. Has anything changed about the Retreat in the past 2 years that anyone is aware of which would make it a more palatable place to work? I think we need to take a long weekend up in the area and see everything for ourselves but if anyone has any further feedback I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:06 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,691 times
COL in VT is a lot more than it appears at first look. COL in VT is inline with more urban areas of the Northeast, salaries are not.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,442 times
I have heard very "mixed" reviews; if someone is offering a "side bar" conference re: the Retreat, might suggest you have that conversation w/them.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrunner07 View Post
The Retreat is one of two short term "crisis" psychiatric facilities in the state. It has been around forever and seems to have a solid reputation.
Not quite right. The Retreat is one of six hospitals that take involuntary psych admissions. In addition to The Retreat there are Vermont State Hospital, Fletcher Allen Health Care, Rutland Regional Medical Center, Central Vermont Hospital, and the Windham Center. These hospitals are all designated to accept patients both for short-term involuntary admission, but also for involuntary commitment.

The Retreat is the only psych hospital that admits minors.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:30 PM

103 posts, read 301,269 times
This thread hasn't been replied to in awhile. I'm wondering if things have improved there at all, specifically for mental health workers?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,777 times
can Anyone tell me what health care provider that the retreat uses and if it is any good for a single person who would like to work at the retreat. Although it does not sound like a good place to work. Please let me know thanks.

Jeep

Old 11-08-2012, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,595 times
The employees at the Retreat get MVP healthcare. It's not great. Big deductible, rates go up every year. I suspect that many places have similar types of benefits. We don't have any other choices. As for working there - it has its ups and downs. The work is usually fairly engaging - lots of interesting interactions and situations, some variety in each shift - and there are plenty of good people working there. It offers a lot of flexibility. That was important to me when I was younger and it is important again, now that I am a grad student (again). We are currently in the middle of stalled contract negotiations and that kind of dampens everyone's enthusiasm for the place, but there have been many positive changes in the seven years since I first started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont