Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 AM

13 posts, read 25,866 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

I really hate to be the one to bring up the f- word, but I've started to worry about whether or not some of the stuff in the garden is going to mature before first frost/the end of the season. I am new to VT, and a bit new to veggie gardening too, so I'm in need of some local, anecdotal information about this.

First, given the cold and rainy summer, I'm wondering how much you think we're set back, in terms of things ripening, compared to other years. I'm sure I'm not alone, but my medium-sized tomatoes are just showing the first signs of ripening (including Early Girl!), and I'm thinking this is not good. Is this much later than usual? I am near Waitsfield, so it's definitely a few degrees cooler than Burlington, etc. Any ideas on whether these guys are going to ripen in time?

I searched the forum, and it looks like in 2008 people started thinking of covering their tomato plants as early as mid-September. Is that typical of most years? (I'm going on vacation from 9/12-9/26 and I'm wondering what kind of heroic measures I'll be asking my garden-sitter to take in my absence, in an effort to keep these guys warm. Feeling guilty already.) Also, how late in the season they are usually able to continue ripening? It seems like an awful lot of angst over a few measly tomatoes, but I suspect that some of you understand

Along the same lines, my winter squash have decided that now is the time to go bonkers and set a whole bunch of fruit. Some are actually full size (baby blue hubbard, delicata and red kuri), but i'm wondering, should i be pinching off the new fruits at this point? Wondering approximately what date people usually have to bring their winter squash in (before first hard frost, i guess), and whether it's too late for the fruit that's setting right now. Any thoughts?

I guess, I would really just love any anecdotal information or advice about dealing with the the maturing veggie/frost issue in general. There's probably not a lot I can actually do about it, but at least we can commiserate.

Thanks in advance-
Susie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 01:38 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Keep an eye on the weather and the weather forecasts. If it gets into the 30's you want the plants covered. I've kept my tomatoes, peppers and even a watermelon plant alive a couple weeks into October by covering them at night and even all day on the colder days with clear plastic.

I'd guess I'm almost a month behind because of the weather with my garden, and even if I keep things alive another month or more it won't be as good as usual because of the rain just wreaking havoc on the health of the plants.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
You can bring your tomatoes inside, put them in a paper bag and they will ripen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont