Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

This is thread has turned very depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Yeah it is depressing. I like trees. I've had butternuts and american chestnuts (not the chinese chestnuts) to eat, they're delicious, but very uncommon because most of the trees die before giving a good nut crop now. I couldn't imagine maple syrup not being readily available if the maples get wiped out that way. And most of my tool handles are ash. Trees are important economically. The state wouldn't be the same without all these trees.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Insects killing Vt. trees: Rutland Herald Online

Keep an eye out for this, anyone who spends time outside. This could become a major, major problem if they don't find a way to control it. I haven't seen any yet but I'll be keeping my eyes open...

Here's what they look like: Pest Alert - Hemlock Woolly Adelgid
On LI the arborists spray hemlock oil, which appears to be effective in my yard. I don't see how it would work on the vast properties in rural parts of the state, but it would probably work well within town locations where the yards are smaller.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Does anyone know if there was a paper beech blight? All the paper beech on my property died, and up the road a few miles the once breathtaking stand of paper beech have also met with the same fate. It is heart-breaking to see them dead and falling.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Does anyone know if there was a paper beech blight? All the paper beech on my property died, and up the road a few miles the once breathtaking stand of paper beech have also met with the same fate. It is heart-breaking to see them dead and falling.
Could have been beech bark disease, or beech blight aphid. If it was beech blight aphid, that breaks out now and then but usually goes away quickly. Beech bark disease is much more serious and a bigger threat to the trees...

Beech Bark Disease - FIDL

http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_s...ight_aphid.pdf

Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink Yes, we can

I'm not sure about beetles affecting Vermont, but it is possible to successfully spray trees against Mountain Pine Bettle (MPB). However this involves the application of toxic chemicals, not otherwise good for you or your garden, and it must be done annually, or at least until these beetles no longer a threat. While possible for a few select trees, in the entirety of forests it is not practically possible.

I entirely agree that this is a tragic phenomenon. But not, however, one we have no control over. These beetles are a natural part of an ecosystem no longer in balance, thus their severe impact now, where before they merely served to keep all in order. It is not so much these beetles we need to address, but ourselves.

This December there will be an international conference in Copenhagen, Denmark concerning global climate change. What is decided there, or not, may well mark the future course of mankind for at least the next several decades. Virtually every government on this planet, save a few island nations which are expected to disappear due rising sea levels, are paying little more than lip service to this problem.

Australia, for instance, says that with great effort it might stabilize its CO2 output to 450ppm, professing this to be a noble effort. Absolute rubbish, as its scientists and others know full well levels shouldn't exceed 350ppm, and surely well less than that. This nation relies heavily on extractive industries for its economic well being, with coal shipped to China being one of the largest. Coal is one of the biggest contributors to overall GHG levels. As I recall, Australia relies on coal for over 80% of its electricity. It is also, not coincidentally, suffering abnormally large wildfires, and widespread drought. But it is hardly alone.

The United States relies on coal for about 50% of its electricity. Most every nation, particularly the wealthy industrialized ones, are unwilling to address this problem seriously because the necessary transition will not be easy. They fear widespread economic disruption. But that is exactly what they will get down the road, and relatively soon, and far worse, if nothing is done.

We, as citizens of this planet, have a choice in how we live within and with it. Governments are but our creation, the high and powerful only allowed such position through our tacit agreement. To the extent we ruin our environment, our forests, and the habitat and home of every other living being on this planet, we individually bear responsibility. We do have the option, and we can do far better.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I agree with all of those points.
WI and MI are losing all ash trees to the ash borer that came in with pallets from China. "Free Trade" is an utter disaster in EVERY respect !
l
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: