Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,661,090 times

Advertisements

hey veggiecook, I think from what I've read that maybe you just happened on some folks (or maybe a bunch of folks) you couldn't really connect with too well out ther in the Pac NW? Sometimes things just happen that way...its either feast or famine. I think that there is a potential of finding, or not finding, close friends just about anywhere. And it certainly gets tougher as we get older and more set in our ways. everyone i met in Burlington was petty great...younger folks and older folks.
Some real nice country all around there, a real crunchy and green scene, and (i would think) lots of options for you in your line of work. lots of climbing options all around (i can be more specific if needed), skiing, boating, camping, etc. i could probably direct you to somewhere to start your job search there, as i have a friend who was a chef in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 15,631 times
Unhappy Leaving Vermont

I would like to leave Vermont. Seattle is home for me, I was born there, so it would be my first choice. My house is the only thing keeping me in Vermont and I can not sell it. There are some nice things about Vermont but the bad things far outway the good things.

I can not begin to describe the bad in this forum because then I would need to start that whole counselling thing again. Basicly this place is kind of like that movie with Chevy Chase were he moves to the country only to find that it is full of hateful rotten people that he cannot stand.

You probably think I am joking about Vermont. But the truth is I am not.

I click my heels three times and say with my eyes closed. "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home!"

Rats! It didn't work!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:49 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Vermonters think it's humid here, but it's a lot less humid here than most parts of the US.

Good call, the bugs really do suck. While I love it here, I'll say the bugs are the number one problem for me because I live in a rural area with those mother@#$#@#$ deerflies.

I just briefly scanned your post, and I've had several glasses of wine since it's Friday evening so I can't give you the attention I give most new posters. But if you're intersted in more sun, great outdoors, and less bugs, my advice is check out Boulder, CO, Asheville, NC, and Charlottesville, VA.

Good night

Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriswart View Post
I would like to leave Vermont. Seattle is home for me, I was born there, so it would be my first choice. My house is the only thing keeping me in Vermont and I can not sell it. There are some nice things about Vermont but the bad things far outway the good things.

I can not begin to describe the bad in this forum because then I would need to start that whole counselling thing again. Basicly this place is kind of like that movie with Chevy Chase were he moves to the country only to find that it is full of hateful rotten people that he cannot stand.

You probably think I am joking about Vermont. But the truth is I am not.

I click my heels three times and say with my eyes closed. "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home!"

Rats! It didn't work!
Where do you live?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Default Comfortable in Vermont

I am a vegan (except for very few carefully-selected local exceptions), animal concerns-activist, social justice-advocate kind of person. I live in Rutland, a place not regarded as especially progressive. I am comfortable here and in Vermont. My husband and I have discussed other places we might want to live, particularly the SW for the attitudes, sun, and arid climate; we're not hot-humid fans either. We even considered Asheville, NC.

We have concluded that we feel most comfortable and at-home in Vermont and among Vermonters (counting ourselves as two of them, though natives may surely disagree). We enjoy our lives here and our neighbors. The balance of good far outweighs the area's drawbacks for us. Other people's experiences vary here. It's not home for everyone. Nowhere is, eh? Different strokes. I don't think you can know without trying it.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:25 PM

226 posts, read 693,818 times
veggiecook,

You will find a lot of diversity in Burlington, however, most of it is not of the racial variety if that's something you value. Also, if you're looking for somewhere the sun shines in the winter - Burlington is not it! We joke that we lose the sun in late November & will see it again in April, if we're lucky. We have a few days of sun breaking through, but it's mostly midday when people are stuck at work anyway...

As for humidity, I think it's pretty low here. Of course, I also moved from near Washington DC (used to be a swamp). The heat gets up to about 98' or 99' and isn't as bad as Vermonters claim. The winters take some adapting to though, we regularly get windchills of -20'F throughout February.

Bugs? Not a big problem when compared to warmer places. Yes, there are mosquitoes, deerflies, & gnats, but any place with this much rural area is going to have those.

Burlington is a good place for outdoorsy types to live. There is easy access to hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, boating, scuba diving, swimming, etc. We even have some beaches on Lake Champlain, with mountains in view.

I find Burlingtonians to be pretty friendly. The college students can be divided into a few distinct categories (rich out-of-staters, poor Vermonters, trustafarians, etc) and are usually pretty transient due to the lack of good entry level jobs. The natives sometimes behave in a typical New England way that at first seemed gruff or unfriendly to me, until I realized that if they didn't like me, they wouldn't keep inviting me to go places with them.

All in all, it sounds like we've got everything for which you're looking except the sunshine...

Old 12-09-2007, 06:40 PM

132 posts, read 486,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
veggiecook,

You will find a lot of diversity in Burlington, however, most of it is not of the racial variety if that's something you value. Also, if you're looking for somewhere the sun shines in the winter - Burlington is not it! We joke that we lose the sun in late November & will see it again in April, if we're lucky. We have a few days of sun breaking through, but it's mostly midday when people are stuck at work anyway...

As for humidity, I think it's pretty low here. Of course, I also moved from near Washington DC (used to be a swamp). The heat gets up to about 98' or 99' and isn't as bad as Vermonters claim. The winters take some adapting to though, we regularly get windchills of -20'F throughout February.

Bugs? Not a big problem when compared to warmer places. Yes, there are mosquitoes, deerflies, & gnats, but any place with this much rural area is going to have those.

Burlington is a good place for outdoorsy types to live. There is easy access to hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, boating, scuba diving, swimming, etc. We even have some beaches on Lake Champlain, with mountains in view.

I find Burlingtonians to be pretty friendly. The college students can be divided into a few distinct categories (rich out-of-staters, poor Vermonters, trustafarians, etc) and are usually pretty transient due to the lack of good entry level jobs. The natives sometimes behave in a typical New England way that at first seemed gruff or unfriendly to me, until I realized that if they didn't like me, they wouldn't keep inviting me to go places with them.

All in all, it sounds like we've got everything for which you're looking except the sunshine...
Pretty much sums it up.

If you can deal with the dreary winters and can support yourself financially (small job market) then you will probably love Burlington. I live in Northampton, MA but my cousin lives in Burlington so I travel there often.

If you want more sunny winters and less humidity, try Boulder. If you want an overall warmer climate I second the Asheville/Charlottesville idea.

Lake Champlain is amazing; I took this shot over the summer.....

http://brownphotography.smugmug.com/photos/219616881-L.jpg (broken link)

Here's one from the air - North of Burlington (my cousin just got his pilot's license )....

Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Default Gorgeous photos!

Michael, thank you! My husband and I enjoyed your two gorgeous photos. We appreciate that you shared them here. They typify what we love so much about the area.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:41 PM

12 posts, read 52,993 times
[quote=veggiecook;675238]Local new englander, newly married. I've lived in Seattle for the past 4 years and love the proximity to the mountains, water and general liberal attitude.
Hardwick VT

Old 12-09-2007, 09:45 PM

249 posts, read 1,030,209 times
Your description sounds exactly like Boulder, CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont