Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,120,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
VT libraries are a disappointment. With one of the highest tax rates in the country and some of the highest education spending in the country you'd think VT would have better libraries.
I hear you. Our 'local' is a small room!
We pay to belong to Hanover's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:19 AM

18,333 posts, read 26,590,793 times
The reason I came down from the Northeast Kingdom to central VT was for more job chances. As of right now, though, this area has one of the highest unemployment rates of the state, so it doesn't really hold so true anymore (perhaps I should head back up, it'd make little difference at this point). Burlington is best for jobs but not even there is too great now (and then you have Burlington's higher cost of living and population density to deal with too).

Really, the whole state is miserable as far as jobs are concerned, and that was true before the whole country's economy tanked.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,054,704 times
Don't move unless you already have a job.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Don't move unless you already have a job.
Nope, one of us would have to have a job this time. That is true.
My husband said he's open to Burlington. I like VT but I can't spend my life poor because of the mentality here.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:55 PM

159 posts, read 634,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
VT libraries are a disappointment. With one of the highest tax rates in the country and some of the highest education spending in the country you'd think VT would have better libraries.
Killed me that in Woodstock VT, since I was not a resident, I had to pay to use their internet computer, when I was passing through one time. Same with the North Conway, NH library's computer. The fee was nominal but the people pay a heckuva ton of money to keep the municipalities flush with tax revenue. I get the drift that if you have to ask how much it costs to live in these areas, you probably just as well move on and find somewhere not impacted by gentrification and/or zoning controls.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:58 PM

159 posts, read 634,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I hear you. Our 'local' is a small room!
We pay to belong to Hanover's.
I'd tell you I am jealous that you live near Hanover but you can not eat the scenery. Can you move into NH perhaps, or are there too many logistics problems with that?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:01 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,301,828 times
Gypsy...another option would be to look into the Albany NY area. Close to SoVT (Bennington to Troy is about 45 minutes). Much larger area population wise and much more industry.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentFudge View Post
I'd tell you I am jealous that you live near Hanover but you can not eat the scenery. Can you move into NH perhaps, or are there too many logistics problems with that?
NH is not far so I can work in NH. But with all the hiring freezes, there aren't many jobs in Hanover/Lebanon. It's really dried up in the last year, year and a half.

We prefer to stay in VT because the school district is pretty good here.

VT, yeah, I hear you about the Albany area. My husband doesn't want to go back to NYS.

We're still kicking things around.

Thanks for the all the advice.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:33 AM

894 posts, read 1,566,562 times
NYS has some outstanding schools. Don't believe VT's line that all schools were equalized by Act 60. Bunch of BS. Average test scores across NY are lower due to the number of ESL students. Finding a good school district around Albany shouldn't be hard. Granted NY is harsh on the regulatory aspects of life but so is VT, VT just doesn't have many people enforcing their laws.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 AM

18,333 posts, read 26,590,793 times
NY makes Vermont look like a libertarian's paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont