Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 05:41 PM

11 posts, read 16,821 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be interviewing for an Assistant Director job in Middlebury but would like a place in South Burlington. I believe it is about a 50 minute drive. I've lived all over the east coast, including Maine and Massachusetts, so winters are nothing new to me. I'm single, 38, African-American, no kids, 2 cats, and love to stay active. Vermont is hardly the last stop on my train and see it as nothing more than a stepping stone in my career. Maybe a 4-5 year stay...long enough to get a doctorate. I believe a place is what you make it and do not see Vermont as a golden paradise. So, how are the neighborhoods in South Burlington...especially for apartment rentals. I could care less about the school systems. I'm not looking for much of a night life, since I'll be working all day and hopefully in school at night. But some creature comforts would be nice: malls, movie theaters, restaurants? Also, I understand the area is close to Montreal ... weekend road trips here I come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,141,116 times
Personally, I'd much prefer living in Middlebury to South Burlington. Especially if it meant avoiding a daily commute that would subtract two hours a day spent with the cats! Runningmist, you said night life is not a priority. To me, Middlebury has everything you're looking for except malls (which I admit are not for me). If you want malls and more restaurants and movie theaters at times, you'd need drive only 50 minutes to Burlington.

I guess it depends on your priorities: Would you rather commute 50 minutes twice a day every weekday and zip right over to Burlington amenities? Or would you rather have a minimal daily commute and drive a bit farther to those amenities?

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 11-14-2009 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: orphaned material

Old 11-14-2009, 08:15 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,286,645 times
I personally would not want to commute from S. Burlington to Middlebury every day either. 50 minutes? Maybe on a good day. Come winter that could stretch to 2 hours depending road conditions. The stretch between Charlotte and the VT Teddy Bear Factory in Shelburne can be a nightmare in the winter.
I'd suggest living in Middlebury as well and you can have your malls/entertainment in Burlington or Rutland.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:18 AM

23,645 posts, read 70,627,512 times
Shelburne Road alone would add to commute issues. Living closer in to Middlebury makes a lot of sense.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 AM

I assumed that there would be more options in South Burlington, as far as rentals. Middlebury seems to be very limited in regards to rental properties. They have homes but I don't think I can afford to rent an entire home. Can you suggest any sites that show rental properties for Middlebury?

Old 11-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmist View Post
Can you suggest any sites that show rental properties for Middlebury?
Classified Ads (Published: 11/12/09) | Addison County Independent

Vermont Classifieds on Web - Click on the COW and Sell it NOW - Search Results

And you can search here:
https://cat.middlebury.edu/forms/bsnsvcs/housing/

Old 11-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks so much!

Old 11-14-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmist View Post
Thanks so much!

'Welcome! And good luck to you.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:35 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,286,645 times
You could also look for apartments in Vergennes...about 15 minutes north of Midd toward Burlington.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,249,818 times
I agree with most all of the above. I used to be on Middlebury rescue, drove many a transfer to Burlington, no fun even with lights and sirens lol. And just driving in Middlebury can be annoying to start with.

Welcome and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont