Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,092,967 times

Advertisements

We're seriously thinking of 'getting out' after 2 years. I have my doubts whether my son is being challenged in school (he is in Special Ed for a few classes) but I fully expect him to go to college and pursue his dream of working in some sort of Science area.

The economy is crap here. I don't see it recovering in YEARS because there is just very little industry.

Yes, things are bad all over, true, and Vermont may be okay for you. For us, it hasn't been the best experience. I am dreaming of a bigger city or suburbs again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM

6 posts, read 14,602 times
It's not so much about going from one tourist-based economy to another - although admittedly it looks that way. We're not all about the sun. I moved my family to Colorado for work - not skiing - which I only learned how to do after moving here. As I said before, I am a blacksmith/fabricator. I sell, design, and create very high end metalwork for very high end homes. I don't really mean to brag but I do things that the average metalworker has no idea how to accomplish. I have actually looked at Oregon but from a business perspective it doesn't make sense. From Vermont I can reach Montreal, upstate-New York, Boston, Providence, Hartford, NYC, etc. And I know they are still building the really big homes because I am currently working on one in Amenia, NY - from Colorado. I don't need to be next door to the work. My studio can be anywhere. On the other hand, it does help to have the concentrated area to work from.

And I REALLY don't mean to sound like I am being argumentative because I am sincerely grateful for the feedback. It is very, very helpful. Reality is a good thing. I am just trying to clarify what we are trying to accomplish - and why we are looking at Vermont as opposed to say upstate New York.

I am beginning to understand the realities of Vermont thanks to all of you. To be honest, I wish I didn't have to make this decision. But given that I need to provide for my family with the few skills that I have, I really need to find the biggest bang for my buck and the Burlington/Montpelier area is looking like the solution. VT housing is 52% less than Aspen, CO housing. I know the taxes are more but over time the cost of a house is far more affordable and less risky at least after having lived where I currently do.

So given my petite tirade :-) ...what does anyone think about Williamstown? Williamstown schools? We found what appears to be a pretty good deal on a house with a barn and studio outside Williamstown but of course it doesn't appear that the schools get the highest rating.

Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by youandmeinc; 11-16-2009 at 09:57 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 06:05 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,138,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youandmeinc View Post
So given my petite tirade :-) ...what does anyone think about Williamstown? Williamstown schools? We found what appears to be a pretty good deal on a house with a barn and studio outside Williamstown but of course it doesn't appear that the schools get the highest rating.
You mean Williamstown, VT, not MA, right? I've driven through Williamstown, VT, and the area is beautiful. I think Williamstown is tiny, not much there. As long as you don't mind driving quite a distance to get to everything, it might be a good choice.

Williamstown, Vermont(VT)- The Official Homepage

Williamstown, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it were me, I'd rather be closer to a town like Montpelier. But I'm a townie.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:31 AM

894 posts, read 1,562,052 times
My standard for schools is based on what you get in generic metro NY/CT/Boston suburbs. By that standard most of VT is substandard. To get a good school in VT you need to live in towns where property is as much as where you are leaving(Norwich, parts of Burlington etc.) There are a few towns where the kids go to local private schools. I've driven through Williamstown plenty, nothing bad but not much there, one thing to check out is Internet service Williamstown might not have highspeed service. If the schools are rated poorly that is likely accurate. One other thing the roads through that area are awful. Live in Williamstown and you will be putting in new tie rods every year.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youandmeinc View Post
I sell, design, and create very high end metalwork for very high end homes. I don't really mean to brag but I do things that the average metalworker has no idea how to accomplish. I have actually looked at Oregon but from a business perspective it doesn't make sense. From Vermont I can reach Montreal, upstate-New York, Boston, Providence, Hartford, NYC, etc.
This is an advantage to New England over Colorado: The states are so small and everything is so close together that people who do business regionally have access to multiple markets, just as you described. From Williamstown, VT, it's only an 8-9 hour drive to Toronto.

Every time we're in the Western states, we're astounded by the distances between everything. I grew up in SFla, from which it took an entire day's drive just to get out of the state -- unless we headed out into the ocean toward another country.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:41 AM

23,623 posts, read 70,563,787 times
Say Williamstown, and most Vermonters will think "Williamstown Gulf" The gulf is a winding stretch of road at the bottom of what in Vermont passes for a canyon. When I grew up, that stretch had about twenty miles with not a sign of humanity on it and could be subject to some severe snow. IIRC, you could tell when you were approaching the gulf when you reached the old stagehouse/inn that had a sulfur smell from the springs around it.

Back in the 1950s, a book was written about the town, containing a lot of the history and anecdotal stories. A branch of the railroad used to end there and the feel then as now is that it sits on the edge of wilderness.

If your business is established and national, then the local metalworkers may not be an issue. I just remember that Springfield used to be the major center for manufacturing of precision machinery and literally the machines that made machines. It is possible that if you grow your business, you might still find some talent to hire from that area.

I'm still not sure how you and your family will take to the change of sun and climate. You'll need to do a pretty good sales job to keep them from longing for the sun "back home".

Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,667,725 times
I lived in Brookfield which is the town on the side of Williamstown. There is not much there and you would have to drive about twenty minutes for most of your shopping. There are some basic necessities in town like gas, convenience store, bank and I believe the lumber yard is still there, but you need to drive to Barre for everything else. It's an old town and not very aesthetically pleasing. A few of the buildings on the main drag (Rt 14) look abandoned or very run down. Personally I would stick closer to Montpelier or Burlington if thats affordable for you.
I'm sure your as talented as you say you are, but I would contact some of our local blacksmiths/fabricators to see if they offer the same type of craftsmanship you offer. I could be completely wrong, but one thing Vermont has that many areas don't is high quality craftsmanship. Just look in any Vermont magazine and it is full of furniture makers, potters, glassblowers, etc. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I wouldn't just count on high end homes being built on the east coast. There are some big homes still being built, but the east coast market is flooded with high end homes. Where are the luxury buyers? - MLive.com

Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I could be completely wrong, but one thing Vermont has that many areas don't is high quality craftsmanship.
http://www.vtartnet.com/organizations.htm

Welcome to Vermont Crafts Council

The Greater Barre Craft Guild

Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 14,602 times
I am so thankful to all of you. You are giving me the very best info in hellping my family try to make this rather large decision. I have a lot to ponder and share with my wife. Honestly, this is the best info. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
How about Waterbury? I always thought that was a pretty cool small town with has all the necessities that's pretty close to Montpelier and Burlington. Has some really nice looking old Victorian homes. Plus it's near a reservoir and state park with good fishing and boating. Waterbury's home to Ben and Jerry's and has an Amrak station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont