Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,915 times

Advertisements

Hello all....

I grew up in Vermont (now live in Ct) and am now doing research out of curiousity. I'm trying to find out about Vt railroads...specifically, which lines run through St. Albans, and what they carry (currently), and who they are owned by. I know this is a lot to ask, but I thought it was at least worth a shot.

Thanks so much for any info you are available to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 08:53 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
There are a bunch of books out there about Vermont railroads....If you google it you should come up with some! Good luck!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 26,998 times
Smile CV railroad

I do know that the once glorious Central Vermont railway (Victorian St. Albans, Vt was built by the RR) was owned by the Canadian National Railway and the Grand Trunk RR but I don't know who owns it now. My mom was a secretary there mainly in a place called Italy Yard ( I presume because it was a long way off from the main site). My neighbor in Swanton (9 miles away) Mary Margaret Cronin was the Highgate (10 miles away from Swanton, toward Canada) station agent and telegrapher which was quite an accomplishment for a woman in 1910! I wish Jim Murphy was still alive. He was a railroad buff who worked for the railway. If you look up a link to the St. Albans Historical Society I'm sure you'll find scads of info!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:32 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
New England Central took the CV trackage. There aren't any others running through there, although it interchanges with the Canadian rrs. Paper products, building supplies like lumber, there are two or three yahoo groups on the Vermont railroads. One school bus driver lives in St. A and posts regularly.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,915 times
VTcurious,
I worked for Vermont Railway out of Burlington VT and the only rail lines that run through St. Albans at this time is NECR (New England Central Railway) which is based out of Conn. or Mass. they run two freight trains per day one north bound and one south bound daily and they run from their base to Montreal. The only other rail line that runs through St. Albans is Amtrak which is called "The Montrealer" and that runs twice a day, northbound & southbound.
Also NECR runs a train from St. Albans to VT Railway in Burlington almost on a daily basis which picks up cars and drops off cars in their rail yard.
I hope this helps

Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 16,833 times
Default West River Railroad, vt

Here some background information about a
narrow gauge railroad that ran along the West River Valley in VT,
between Brattleboro and South Londonderry from 1879 to 1927.
I learned about this railroad from my aunt who lives in,
South Londonderry, Vt.
It quickly earned the nickname 36 miles of trouble.
Here a url link about a web site about it.
vt_brattleboro_slondonderry_cv
I was the person who provided the information about it to him.
Let me know what you think about it. ok
I live in the state of Maryland.
I'm looking forward to hearing your reply and comments.
Sincerely,
Doug Climenson

Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
Check out, I believe, the website railfan.com. They either cover or have links to sites with all the states with info on former and current railroads with picture archives.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,289 times
Anyone have a good schematic of the Italy Yard and service facilities in St. Albans, Vt.? Trying to model this yard in HO scale and a fuzzy GoogleEarth doesn't show enough detail. My memory of this grand facility from teen-age years in the 1960s can re-envision some but not all of the details. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:44 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Chuck, Bob C. Jones series on the CV has schematics of all of the yards in volume two. Pages 136 and 137 have a schematic of Beartown, Middle, North, and Italy yards there. The period covered by that volume is the glory years from 1887 to 1910.

It isn't very helpful for your quest, but terraserver has the USGS topo map from 1981
Microsoft TerraServer Imagery (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X=813&Y=6205&W=1&qs=|Sain t+Albans|Vermont - broken link)

An older geodesic map is here:
http://docs.unh.edu/VT/salb16se.jpg

It says it is from 1916, but I'm a little doubtful, although it does show the trolley line.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 PM

104 posts, read 491,674 times
Just a correction on the Amtrak train, it's called the Vermonter since the train stops now in St Albans to connect to bus service to Montreal. The Montrealer used to go to Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont