Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,784,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Is Phoenix the place east of town, right on the south side of Route 103? I think I've stopped in there for coffee and a bathroom. That looks perfect.

Didn't there used to be a Mexican place just east of there? Whatever happened to that?

I had no idea there was a Scottish restaurant. You're probably right -- I could drink in the ambiance and beer but forget the food.
The Phoenix is inside Baba Louis, on Route 11 on the west side of town, heading out of the village toward Londonderry. 103 heads north up toward Ludlow on the east side. (right by the Catholic Church) Mapquest the junction of Lovers Lane and Route 11 in Chester, Baba Louis/Phoenix is within a stones throw of that corner.

There was Putney pasta, which was a Mexican place briefly, and is now Curtis' BBQ. Definitely not veg, but if you should ever decide to turn carnivorous, this would be a fine place to start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 08:07 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,141,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There was Putney pasta, which was a Mexican place briefly, and is now Curtis' BBQ. Definitely not veg, but if you should ever decide to turn carnivorous, this would be a fine place to start

Back in the days before I went veg, I ate BBQ at a stand in Putney just off the highway. It was kind of some trailers strung together. Was that Curtis's?

The Mexican place just east of Phoenix, I never did stop in there but I remember a sign that used to intrigue me and I was sorry to have missed it. I think it said Smoked Maple Syrup, or Smoked Maple something. Any idea what that was?

The Mexican food at the little Saxtons River place was quite good the couple of times I ate there. Don't even know if it's still around. I think the chef had immigration problems and the townspeople were angry he might have to leave.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 PM

Yes, the stand you had eaten at was/is Curtis'. He branched out to Chester and is open 4? days a week there. I love coming up and smelling the smoker!

For the life of me I can't recall the name of the Mexican place The building is actually 2 store fronts; the store front to the right sold the syrup products, at another time is was silver jewelery.

If you come through Chester in the nice weather, check out the Mountain Man, which is across the street from Heritage, and in between Stone House Antiques and the American Legion Hall. The owner has put together a collection of funky little shed/cottages and sells different things from each one. He has some really nice silver pieces he created in one of them. There's also food and ice cream, but not sure those will fly with the veg lifestyle.

I am not sure about the Mexican place in Saxton's river, sorry.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
If you come through Chester in the nice weather, check out the Mountain Man, which is across the street from Heritage, and in between Stone House Antiques and the American Legion Hall. The owner has put together a collection of funky little shed/cottages and sells different things from each one. He has some really nice silver pieces he created in one of them. There's also food and ice cream, but not sure those will fly with the veg lifestyle.
Thanks! I'll check this out. The Mountain Man sounds like something I'd enjoy. Maybe we'll leave time for that when we meet our friend at Heritage. Is it necessary to wait for nice weather nice weather? Are the shed/cottages uncomfortable for winter browsing?

Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM

Mountain Man keeps his jewelry shed open up until Christmas, weather and traffic permitting. It's one of our favorite spots to stop for an ice cream in the nicer months; he has a small pond with gold fish and frogs, and a little path which loops from shed to shed. The owners have come to know us from our post BF movie ice cream stops.

They're very nice people who had to fight other businesses in the town in order to establish this quirky shopping experience. The husband told me he based it upon artist colonies they saw down south (perhaps the Carolinas or TN?) and he wished to recreate it on land he owned in Chester. They've been operating for 2-3 years now; I hope they ride out the current economy.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Mountain Man keeps his jewelry shed open up until Christmas, weather and traffic permitting. It's one of our favorite spots to stop for an ice cream in the nicer months; he has a small pond with gold fish and frogs, and a little path which loops from shed to shed. The owners have come to know us from our post BF movie ice cream stops.

Oops! I guess I missed them for this year then. We're meeting our friend at Heritage late next week. I will check if Summit Soapworks is open. She makes really nice and affordable products. Their foot balm is the best I've tried..

Quote:
They're very nice people who had to fight other businesses in the town in order to establish this quirky shopping experience. The husband told me he based it upon artist colonies they saw down south (perhaps the Carolinas or TN?) and he wished to recreate it on land he owned in Chester. They've been operating for 2-3 years now; I hope they ride out the current economy.

Wow! That does sound worth a trip. Did they have to fight because the other businesses didn't want the competition? Or something else?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Oops! I guess I missed them for this year then. We're meeting our friend at Heritage late next week. I will check if Summit Soapworks is open. She makes really nice and affordable products. Their foot balm is the best I've tried..

Wow! That does sound worth a trip. Did they have to fight because the other businesses didn't want the competition? Or something else?
I'll have to check out Summit.

As for Mountain Man, it's worth the trip if you're in the area for several reason things in addition to visiting. It is small.

The fight was exactly what you've written. For whatever reason, some of the restaurant owners and gift shops thought they would have competition from him -- he's on the way into Chester on 103, so I am guessing they figured that someone heading on to Ludlow or Rutland might be inclined to stop there as opposed to a more costly sit-down eatery.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Hi Sherylcatmom,

How did Heritage work out for you?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Hi Sherylcatmom,

Thank you so much for remembering and asking! When our friend headed out to meet us she found the town roads unplowed and the hill she lives on nearly unpassable. She was coming from southeast of us where the snow was heavier.

We're going to meet her at Heritage a different time. We still look forward to trying it.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Hi Sherylcatmom,

Met up with our friend yesterday at Heritage. Delicious and affordable! Yummy roasted veggies & avocado on focaccia. Other tasty treats. I'd go back. Repeatedly.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont