Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 AM

819 posts, read 1,499,867 times

Advertisements

Based on what I’m seeing from a snow coverage standpoint out on the VAST trails, XC trails etc.the month of January looks to possibly be a bust from a winter tourist economy standpoint. Ski areas are alright as they can produce their own snow but in the NEK the snow coverage for the VAST system is poor to fair at best, especially at lower elevations of around 800ft.

Are other people seeing similar drop offs in the local snowmobile etc. traffic and resultant influx of $ from winter tourists?

The next 7-10 day forecast shows nothing but bad news, sun and warm temps along with possibilities of rain, this would be disastrous to the businesses that rely on the VAST system to support their winter revenue.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 AM

26,492 posts, read 46,863,871 times
^
Yes, the pattern has been quite mild recently. I checked the models and it would appear that the colder air will be coming in early February.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,391,699 times
My husband works at a local ski resort and says that the MLK weekend skier and boarder visits were strong, despite the mild weather. As long as it's cold enough to make snow the resort does well.

Of course rain and ice are a different story. Not only do they disuade people from coming up in the first place, but they force the resort to put close certain lifts and trails.

The lack of snow cover must also be affecting the cross-country skiing and snowshoeing trails and I haven't seen as many snowmobilers out as I usually do this time of year.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,301,828 times
I also heard that the ski areas did real well over the MLK weekend. Agree with LisaMc46-fresh snow is needed for good snowmobile/x-country conditions. Alpine areas have elevation to their advantage and snowmaking capabilities. The winter is still young though....

Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM

986 posts, read 2,340,868 times
I can't speak for VT, but I was at Cannon, just over the border in NH over MLK weekend, on that Sunday. Cannon is normally not crowded as it tends to have poor conditions and lacks the "family friendliness" that some of the other mountains have. Even with the crazy winds and the cloud that sat above the mountain all day, it was packed with people.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 PM

819 posts, read 1,499,867 times
Agreed on the ski resorts, as long as they have cold and no rain they are fine. I’m more a snowshoe and snowmobile guy and last weekend the trails in the NEK near us needed some snow love in a big way. Lots of dirt and open grass in fields etc. They could use 14-18” ASAP and it doesn’t look like it is coming any time soon.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM

894 posts, read 1,566,562 times
There were predictions of a cold dry winter. Seems they were right.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM

986 posts, read 2,340,868 times
What's interesting is the southern and eastern areas seem to be getting lots of snow. I know Sunday River reported a lot new snow this week (at least 10"), surely a bunch of that fell on the lower elevations in that area, too.

If you think we've got it bad, I have a friend in Utah who wishes he was in New England for skiing. Apparently, the skiing out there is really bad right now.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post

Based on what I’m seeing from a snow coverage standpoint out on the VAST trails, XC trails etc.the month of January looks to possibly be a bust from a winter tourist economy standpoint. Ski areas are alright as they can produce their own snow but in the NEK the snow coverage for the VAST system is poor to fair at best, especially at lower elevations of around 800ft.

Are other people seeing similar drop offs in the local snowmobile etc. traffic and resultant influx of $ from winter tourists?

The next 7-10 day forecast shows nothing but bad news, sun and warm temps along with possibilities of rain, this would be disastrous to the businesses that rely on the VAST system to support their winter revenue.

Thoughts?
Well, tourism is the only industry here, so if rich mid-Atlantic types don't spend their money here, the state is even more screwed than it already is.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 PM

274 posts, read 675,543 times
This happens every January..."January Thaw" It'll come roaring back. Enjoy the mild temps while you can. Soon we'll be complaining that it's too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont