Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,144,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis98 View Post
Hmm, so maybe opening a pub could be a good idea
Funny you should mention that. Check out the Watershed Tavern: Watershed Tavern (http://www.watershedtavern.com/forsale.php - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:34 PM

986 posts, read 2,339,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Funny you should mention that. Check out the Watershed Tavern: Watershed Tavern (http://www.watershedtavern.com/forsale.php - broken link)
If I had the money and the know-how, I would totally do that. I would love to own a tavern/pub... especially one with a living space above it!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
If I had the money and the know-how, I would totally do that. I would love to own a tavern/pub... especially one with a living space above it!

The building is adorable, as is downtown Brandon. I think I wouldn't want to be a full-time caregiver for a restaurant and pub, though for some, that would be a dream come true!

Old 01-22-2010, 03:24 PM

986 posts, read 2,339,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

The building is adorable, as is downtown Brandon. I think I wouldn't want to be a full-time caregiver for a restaurant and pub, though for some, that would be a dream come true!
I've actually never been in the business other than busing tables at a seafood restaurant when I was in high school, but am very into the craft beer movement and friends with a bunch of people in the industry down here. I have thought about owning/starting a good beer bar with good food, possibly even a brewpub if I can find the time to master my homebrewing. Something like that with an established customer base would probably be the easiest to get into.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I've actually never been in the business other than busing tables at a seafood restaurant when I was in high school, but am very into the craft beer movement and friends with a bunch of people in the industry down here. I have thought about owning/starting a good beer bar with good food, possibly even a brewpub if I can find the time to master my homebrewing. Something like that with an established customer base would probably be the easiest to get into.
Ilove a good artisan brew. Maybe you and Beavis should talk.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 PM

12 posts, read 18,188 times
We do like our real ale over here, over here though, pubs are (were) hubs of the community (not just places to get drunk).

I understand people saying to rent for a year, but to me, thats dead money and the cost of living in the UK and job market is just as bad(if not worse) check out the UK forum.
That link you sent looked cool, sherylcatmom, but its still a bar/restaraunt not a pub.

Probably out of our price range too. Even if we spend $300k on a house, it still leaves at least $200k in savings. if we can both get minimum wage jobs, we should be ok, its just the health insurance thats a worry, with two small children.

WE are in a lucky position, maybe its time to follow our dream.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
That link you sent looked cool, sherylcatmom, but its still a bar/restaraunt not a pub.

I know. Alas, we really don't have pubs here. Maybe opening a "real" pub would draw business. Or maybe people wouldn't know quite what to make of it. I doubt someone "thought up" pubs in the UK. Probably they emerged from the culture that supports them. Who knows? Maybe here it would do good business and provide a good new community venue.

Quote:
WE are in a lucky position, maybe its time to follow our dream.
This speaks to me. If you can swing it for you and your children, it could be a great adventure for all.

I do think health insurance is a real sticking point. I can't think of minimum wage jobs that come with health insurance but I haven't looked either.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 01-23-2010 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 AM

166 posts, read 442,623 times
Just to give you a rough estimate. I am single guy in my late 20's in good health and my employer pays $500 a month for health insurance. We did not get a cost of living increase this year because from what we were told every year health insurance goes up around 20 percent. My coworker who has a family plan our employer pays $1400 a year. The coverage is not even that good as well.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 18,188 times
Right, apart from pubs, i'm now going to miss the NHS. Looks like i'll have to quit smoking too

We're also looking at NH just outside manchester, but not many replies so far.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:57 AM

274 posts, read 675,091 times
I used to live in and around Manchester. VT has a much nicer vibe, and also has better schools. But Southern NH is convenient to Boston and to the ocean. Either are great moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont