Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:09 AM

23 posts, read 49,649 times

Advertisements

Thanks Winnie!
Getting me all confused now posting on this forum and the MA one!
Of course my main priority when we initially land in the US in money and getting ourselves set up, career enhancment will have to wait, so it will be the $$$ that will sway my decision to start with. From what I'm hearing and seen on the net Western MA seems to be the choice at the mo and then when established financially take a look around on whats on offer. I must admit I am in 2 minds Vt or MA, Vt or MA - I probably won't decide until I've been out there on vacation.
One things for sure, its gonna happen, compared to living here in Manchester UK, anywhere will be an improvement.
By the way have any of you guys been over here for any length of time and if so, how would you compare it to home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,692 times
I have never been to the UK. I would say that the best comparison in the USA to London is NYC. A recent survey found both cities were very similar in cost of living (#1 and #2 most costly cities in the world )

So if you look at the price of living in NYC and then compare it to MA, Western MA is probably 15-20% cheaper. Some areas even cheaper, like Otis or Orange. VT is cheaper than MA, but like I already mentioned, the salary is also lower. I hope that makes sense.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:29 AM

246 posts, read 329,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpark19 View Post
Thanks Winnie!
Getting me all confused now posting on this forum and the MA one!
Of course my main priority when we initially land in the US in money and getting ourselves set up, career enhancment will have to wait, so it will be the $$$ that will sway my decision to start with. From what I'm hearing and seen on the net Western MA seems to be the choice at the mo and then when established financially take a look around on whats on offer. I must admit I am in 2 minds Vt or MA, Vt or MA - I probably won't decide until I've been out there on vacation.
One things for sure, its gonna happen, compared to living here in Manchester UK, anywhere will be an improvement.
By the way have any of you guys been over here for any length of time and if so, how would you compare it to home?
Hi again Matt,

Having lived in the London orbit, ditto Winnie that there are few places in the States that are even in the same universe price-wise. Manhattan or maybe the San Francisco peninsula. How the US relates to Madchester really depends on where you're at in the city and style of housing (flat, semi or detached).

I don't know New England that well as a place to live, but having lived a lot of places I'd wager the cost of living here will absolutely compare favorably to where you are now. With the exception of Boston, perhaps.

Magpies

Old 08-22-2006, 02:00 PM

100 posts, read 474,956 times
I live in the UK, we've "talked" on the other thread. I have moved several Brits to the USA for my company there, they like the lifestyle much better. Most everyhthing is cheaper - turn your pound sign to a dollar sign on most things. The surprise expense for most is the health care, though most companies pick up a substantial portion of that. Housing is CHEAP when compared to the UK, so if you are okay with where you are now then you will do better in the US for the same money. After you get settled you will get something much nicer than whatever you had in the UK (not snobby just the costs in the US are so much lower). I would apply to both MA, Vt (why not Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New Hampshire). Let the pay determine where you look (Monster dot com) has cost of living indexes that will allow you to compare salaries accurately to various states/cities. I wouldn't rush the decision (it seems you aren't) and the main criteria is how comfortable you are with yourselves - remoter areas like VT, Maine, etc can get kind of lonely especially for ex pats so you will really have to push yourself out there to meet people, though kids are great for that! When I moved to the UK I wanted to be near a large town/city until I felt more comfortable and made some friends so started in Southampton and then moved to Winchester (rented for the first two years). Good luck, decide how outgoing you are going to be - you don't want to end up isolated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont