Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Down here in VA we're in the middle of a snowstorm that's dropping as much as 30" on some areas. Would you consider that just "ho-hum, business as usual" up there? Would that keep you from going about your normal daily activities (school, shopping, working, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Maybe every few years we'll get a storm like that. Burlington had 30" at once in December on a Sunday and school was open the next day. The snow was light and fluffy so it was easy to clean up. The Valentine's Day Storm back in 07 was of the heavy, wet variety so it took a few days to dig out of that one. Certainly 30" at once is a big deal even up here as it does not happen often.
Usually our storms are in the 6-12" variety. School is sometimes canceled or delayed. Depends on the timing of the storm. Places do not shut down. You are expected at work...just take your time getting there and if you are a little late no biggie. The only time I've ever missed work because of snow was V-Day '07 because we could not get out of our driveway and all the private plower's were breaking down because the snow was so heavy. If I remember right the storm was on a Tuesday and our plow guy finally showed up Friday with a Bobcat he had to rent as his truck broke down.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
So much depends on conditions. The depth of snowfall isn't a big deal, since there is equipment to handle it. Driveways take a little longer to plow out and in the depths of winter I used to park just out of range of the town snowplows to cut the shoveling down. What can be a major headache is when a wet snow is followed by freezing weather. I remember one situation where a car went off the track during a wet snowfall and into a snowbank at the edge of a mall parking lot. The car was able to back out, but then the freeze came and that commonly used route became a slotcar track where drivers going too fast would repeat the performance. We had a great view of the scene from where I worked, and we must have seen fifty cars do exactly the same thing. It got to be hysterically funny, since we recognized most of them as the speeders who were a regular PITA when crossing the parking lot.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:44 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
So far (knock on wood) we have had very little snow this winter. It's my third one (and probably last) in Vermont so I am glad!!

The first year we got a ton of snow but it was warm(ish). Last year, a decent amount of snow and a few weeks in a row of FRIGID. This winter since November it's just darn cold nearly every day with 'little thaw' time, but not that much snow (I can see the ground ).

Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 PM

We're buried down here in Northern VA.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:56 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
CAVA, hi, I just responded to one of your posts "back home" on the NoVA board and came here to see if any snow was happening in Vermont and you're here too wondering the same thing!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
It's so strange how it varies from year to year. It seems this year the jet stream is pushing the storms away from the upper Northeast/New England, and the mid-Atlantic is getting hit hard. And of course the southeast has seen record-setting cold, ice, and snow. Here is CA we have had a lot of rain, which was predicted since it was supposed to be an El Nino year, which means the Pacific is warmer than usual, and creates the moisture for rain. My daughter is traveling to Vermont next week, so I hope the weather stays relatively mild.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
CAVA, hi, I just responded to one of your posts "back home" on the NoVA board and came here to see if any snow was happening in Vermont and you're here too wondering the same thing!
LOL, and so am I! Just browsing. I have a friend who's a teacher at Vermont Academy in Saxtons River. She called me today to ask if they could drive down to VA to get some snow for their Winter Carnival. They don't have any and Winter Carnival is next week. I said "Sure, we hav PLENTY! Come on down and get some!!!!"

Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 PM

Funny how when we think of "snow experts" we think Vermont. Guess when we get huge amounts of rain we'll be on the Washington state and Hawaii forums.

Apologies to Vermonters that a bunch of Virginians have taken over your little corner of C-D.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
No prob. My wife was talking to her sister in Reston Sunday and they had already closed the schools for Monday, with six more inches expected Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont