Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM

986 posts, read 2,335,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Coming from NY, I was amazed the first time I was in a pedestrian situation in VT and saw cars actually come to a full stop.
I was amazed myself as both a pedestrian and a driver. I've never seen a 4-way stop work so seamlessly as it did in Burlington when I was last there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,145,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
My favorite rule here is that the yellow lines don't really mean much. It's perfectly legal to go over the lines.

Having been nearly hit 4 times in one trip to NYC by drivers who don't wait for pedestrians, I'll take Vermont's drivers over NY...
Yes, it is legal to pass on double lines. However, insurance companies can still determine you are at fault for doing so.

I can't tell you how many near misses I've seen when people decide to pass a car while approaching the top of a hill.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Yes, it is legal to pass on double lines. However, insurance companies can still determine you are at fault for doing so.

I can't tell you how many near misses I've seen when people decide to pass a car while approaching the top of a hill.
Are you serious? They don't have the dotted line on the side that's allowed to pass like pretty much every other state in NE?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,135,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Are you serious? They don't have the dotted line on the side that's allowed to pass like pretty much every other state in NE?
Vermont has both. According to Wikipedia:
"Vermont State Law also allows passing of the double yellow line when no traffic is on the opposing side, however, one must pass quickly and return to the proper side."

Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 AM

400 posts, read 850,108 times
All Vermont roads have dotted lines in the center anyway due to the frequent potholes breaking up the paint in the occasions when it hasn't just worn off completely.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,124 times
When we first moved here from Northern N.J. it took a while for it to sink in that people would actually stop for us when we were in the pedestrian crosswalks. In N.J., there were several times when I was walking my baby's stroller across the crosswalk and speeding cars went around us rather than stopping.

I work in Stowe and you can always spot the out-of-state tourists because they hesitate in the crosswalks as if they're afraid of being run over. Sometimes I have to wave to them as if to say, "Go ahead. I won't mow you down."

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM

118 posts, read 285,088 times
LisaMc46, In Vermont once a pedestrian enters a marked crosswalk the pedestrian has the right of way. Many villages strictly enforce this law.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I work in Stowe and you can always spot the out-of-state tourists because they hesitate in the crosswalks as if they're afraid of being run over. Sometimes I have to wave to them as if to say, "Go ahead. I won't mow you down."
When I was in Stowe, I found it to be the only place in VT where people did not stop for pedestrians, but it was mostly out of state plates from CT, MA, NJ, and NY... all known for not being pedestrian friendly.

Burlington was a different story. People stopped for pedestrians. They stopped at stop signs, etc. It was amazing to me. That's not the case in RI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
LisaMc46, In Vermont once a pedestrian enters a marked crosswalk the pedestrian has the right of way. Many villages strictly enforce this law.
That's pretty much the law in every state. In most states, pedestrians have the right of way whenever they're in the street, crosswalk or not, but that really just means you can't run them over. They can still be cited for jaywalking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont