Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,972 times

Advertisements

According to the Commission’s findings, Vermont ranks 41st in the percentage of high school graduates who enroll in college the following fall. We rank 26th in the percentage of 19-year-old Vermonters in college [in Vermont or out of state.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,921 times
This has probably always been a metric which VT would struggle with due to the # of trades/family business etc. which exist in VT. I'm sure many 18yos move straight into a trade with either family or friends, where as in many states very few people are following that track.

Heck, maybe I'm totally off here............just a quick thought.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
Source please.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 AM

Source was edited out. One of those linkies not allowed sorry.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
I don't see any evidence of your post being edited. You don't necessarily need to post a link. If you're going to post stuff like this, you need to post a source. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 AM

The 60% Solution

Politics by Emerson Lynn

For every 100 students who begin high school in Vermont, 80 graduate. For every 80 students who graduate from high school, 44 start college, and for every 44 who go to college, 26 graduate. The question is what happens to the 74 who either didn’t graduate from high school, or who decided college was not in the plan, or who dropped out after they began.
Moderator cut: copyright violation - please just post a 1 or 2 sentence snippet and then the link which was not hard to find via google.

http://www.vermonttiger.com/content/...-solution.html

Last edited by vter; 03-12-2010 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM

986 posts, read 2,333,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
This has probably always been a metric which VT would struggle with due to the # of trades/family business etc. which exist in VT. I'm sure many 18yos move straight into a trade with either family or friends, where as in many states very few people are following that track.

Heck, maybe I'm totally off here............just a quick thought.
You're probably not too far off. In fact, I'm a big proponent of students going to trade school rather than college. College is ridiculously expensive these days and most people leave with $150+k in loans and get a $40k job. This is especially true if the student isn't going to be giving their all in college and will make no use of the degree. Many students prefer trades and getting a 4 year degree is a waste of time and money if your plan is to go into a trade.

However, if the student is going to be taking over a family business, it might be smart to at least get a 2 year degree in some sort of business studies.

For the record, I am college educated and actually work for a college.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
With colleges so expensive here and for so little return with the economy the way it is here, I would expect this to be the case.

On a related note, I saw in the paper here, that several schools got tabbed as underperforming, making them eligible for even more funding. Something seems wrong with that picture...

Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 AM

400 posts, read 849,600 times
Sounds like Vermonters are smart enough to realize college degrees aren't really great bang for the buck in this state. Even if you get a degree in something in demand, it most likely isn't in demand HERE because those businesses aren't located here and won't be located here.

There are some of these jobs in Chittenden county but that county isn't exactly within driving distance of most of the state. What are the kids suppose to do, get a 4 year degree in Engineering and then move back home to Island Pond and work in a corner store for minimum wage? If you're interested in a more white collar job, for most it means you're interested in moving. My brother in law did great in High School and then went to a trade school to become a linesman. It was a smart decision IMO.

If you want to stick around, trades like plumbers or electricians seem to be a good bet. Or if you can bust through the walls of nepotism (if you weren't born within them) and getting to the education field you should be in good shape.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:50 PM

There might very well be young VTers making the rational decision that a college degree is of little value in VT. But if that is the case why should VT spend more money per kid than other state for K-12 education? Time to admit that the world has in fact moved on lest VT out of date, embrace that and end public schooling at the eighth grade so kids can to work on the farm learning important(for VT) life skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont