Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 AM

397 posts, read 1,411,776 times

Advertisements

WHo really knows, maybe it's simply cuz there are a lot better mountains in Austria to test those boards out on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:41 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
From Burton's press release "...But simply put, it costs us significantly more to produce a board in Vermont than we are capable of selling it for, and sadly, this is not sustainable in the current economy.”
Building stuff in VT will get cheaper just as soon as that pesky nuke plant gets shut off.
You could get Mr. Burton himself on this board, and the "Vermont is perfect, anyone who lives anywhere else is inferior" crowd will just bury their heads deeper in the sand.
Losing jobs to children in China is one thing. Losing jobs to the tax shelter that is western Europe is something else entirely.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:46 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,732 times
“The environment here is not very manufacturing-friendly... a board costs more to make than you than you sell it for,” Burton CEO Laurent Potdevin said Tuesday. Burton will keep its global headquarters in Burlington.

Specifically, the CEO said, labor costs, real estate and utility expenses made it difficult to turn a profit with boards made in Vermont.
--------------------------
From today's Free Press article.
Now, let the folks who think VT is not in a bad economic way, recession or not, have at me.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Now, let the folks who think VT is not in a bad economic way, recession or not, have at me.
I haven't seen anyone here say Vermont is not in a bad economic way. I hadn't even seen anyone here say that before the recession.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,675,755 times
It's not just the economy of the state that drives up the cost of living in Vermont, it's many of the fee, etc that many of us have no idea we are paying. The state senate is trying to get credit card companies to stop charging fees to stores that end up getting passed on to Vermont consumers. The average cost that people living in Vermont pay per year is $400.00. These are costs that most other states don't have. It may not sound like a large amount of money, but this is an average for each person living in the state. Some people pay much more while others pay less. For a family making minimum wage, this is a significant chunk of change.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:49 PM

159 posts, read 406,378 times
I believe this post is about making snow boards cheaper in Austria than they can be made in Vermont, not about who post what where.The fact is Vermont is an expensive place to manufacture things. Taxes, energy, transportation, waste disposal, workmens comp, unemploment insurance are all high in Vermont. The exodus of industry in Vermont started a hundred years ago with the textile and shoe industries, first going south and then over seas and continues with almost every industry. To deny the obvious makes me wonder what do these people do for work that they are so unaware of what has happened to industry in vermont. Travel to Rutland, Bellows Falls, Springfield, Windsor, even Ludlow and Cavandish and look at the empty buildings...the ones that haven't been torn down. No it is not just a Vermont problem but it's worse in Vermont than some other states. How many companies have closed operations in Vermont to move to another state and how many have closed plants in another state to move operations to Vermont. Few people in government ever worked in manufacturing, maybe that's part of the problem, they mostly come from service industries or staright from college as professional politicians. We cannot compete with Asian and European countries that pay .50 cents an hour or subsidize their industry, we saddle our own industry with costly regulations like OSHA and hazardous waste, worksmans comp, etc that industries in these other countries are not forced to pay, yet we allow them to ship products into the country duty free. Whya are the politicians giving away our jobs?

Last edited by vter; 03-18-2010 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 PM

986 posts, read 2,340,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
I believe this post is about making snow boards cheaper in Austria than they can be made in Vermont, not about who post what where.The fact is Vermont is an expensive place to manufacture things. The exodus of industry in Vermont started a hundred years ago with the textile and shoe industries, first going south and then over seas and continues with almost every industry. To deny the obvious makes me wonder what do these people do for work that they are so unaware of what has happened to industry in vermont.
This is true about pretty much the whole country. Vermont is not unique in losing its manufacturing. It may have started in VT earlier than many other states, but it's everywhere. There's almost nothing manufactured here anymore. RI is full of luxury apartments, lofts, and condos in old mill buildings because there is no chance of them being used as mills.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 PM

274 posts, read 675,455 times
Same thing in Manchester, NH, once the largest mill complex in the country. Now filled with professional services (successfully, I might add!)

Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,588,978 times
A service based economy is not sustainable in the long run.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 PM

73,149 posts, read 62,999,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A service based economy is not sustainable in the long run.
I am glad you realized that. America needs to build things. In this economy, however, I don't know who things are going to turn out. Fewer people are buying things, even things made in China. Now, it isn't even about turning a large profit, it is about survival. Before, it was about building cheap and selling for a high markup. Now it is about survival. I don't know if even a tax break will help in this case.
Service jobs do not pay very well and you can't pay your bills that easily. You could at least make a decent living in manufacturing. It isn't just the blue collar sector this is effecting. The white collar jobs are being lost too. And this isn't just happening in Vermont. North Carolina had alot of textile mills, in a state with barely any unions. The lacking presence of unions or relatively low cost of living didn't stop the textile mills from being outsourced and people losing their jobs. It is all about money now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont