Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 16,217 times

Advertisements

How sweet is that? 32 acre solar orchard and it will power 430 homes. Yeehaw. Take that climate change. VT will lead the world to a greener future, and we love our greens.

Huge solar array proposed for South Burlington | The Burlington Free Press | Burlington, Vermont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM

11,763 posts, read 14,706,959 times
I think this is great. It doesn't replace Yankee, but we have to create lots more renewable and efficiency resources to replace Yankee and meet our needs.
It also creates jobs right here in Vermont.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 PM

10 posts, read 16,217 times
Tax smax dude, who cares about taxes. 400+ houses are going carbon neutral renewable and it only takes a 32 acre orchard of panels. Way to go VT.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 PM

914 posts, read 2,927,995 times
If it was that easy, everyone would do it. Solar power is still very expensive, and in a climate like Vermont, with limited amounts of sunshine for much of the year, it's kind of ridiculous. It's almost like the punchline of a joke. We don't even do very much solar here in California, so that tells you something about its cost-effectiveness and reliability. But if it makes you feel good about yourself and Vermont, more (solar) power to you!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 AM

23,665 posts, read 70,718,222 times
I agree with looking4home. The year before I left the state, there was no sun for about three months. Putting solar cells in a cave for 3/12ths of the year does not provide a good return on investment.

2.2 megawatts (at peak conditions)... I forget the actual figures of insolation, but an average of 5 hrs/day of 2.2 megawatts over an entire year would be more than fair. Solar cell output drops significantly as the sun is lower in the sky. That puts it at 20% of the day. 20% of 2.2 megawatts = less than 1/2 megawatt continuous. 24 hours x 30 days x .5 megawatt = 360 megawatt hours per month.

A megawatt is 1,000,000 watts. A kilowatt is 1,000 watts. Our average consumption (with electric heat pump in AL and warmer climate) is 1400 kwh per month, or 1.4 megawatt hours. That would be a system generating a power equivalent of the use of 257 homes like ours, not the 400+ figure in the article. Drop about seven of those homes to account for conversion and line loss in delivery.

Figuring that we buy power retail (without taxes and other fees) for about 10 cents per kwh, the retail value of the monthly output is what, $35,000? On a practical basis, the total cost of the project would have to be less than $750,000 for it to be worthwhile, which is orders of magnitude under current solar costs.

This is a "spin" project that only makes financial sense to the developers. As far as the grid is concerned, it has little or no effect. Power has to be supplied to customers whether or not the sun shines. Because of that, direct solar feed projects cannot impact the size of the other power plants on the grid.

The wood burning plant really was about the best alternative energy source plant developed in Vermont in the past fifty years. Other than that, recommissioning of the dam at Bolton Falls (also in the 2 megawatt range) and renovation of the Waterbury dam was probably the "greenest" power project.

But solar power in Vermont does have a nice Quixotic aspect after all the tilting at windmills.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM

18,362 posts, read 26,571,489 times
Solar can be useful on a small scale up here (individual systems on a home), but I think trying to make a commercial solar power plant here is a bad idea. Wind and hydro power are much more practical.

BTW: There's a lot of uranium in Vermont. Many wells in Northern VT have been contaminated by it. We could in fact be energy independent in this state if there was the will to do so (the will to use our nucelear power abilities, and to put in dams and wind projects) and not back down to greenpeace et al. (who oppose nuclear and hydro) and the second home owners who would have their view upset by a wind tower.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM

118 posts, read 285,591 times
So, if solar is renewable does this mean that when the solar panels end-of-life in 15+/- years new ones will grow in the orchard? Just asking.

Food for thought, have you ever seen a solar panel manufacturing plant powered by solar panels?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:32 PM

13 posts, read 30,011 times
Insulation and lighting are the keys to lowering energy demands. Would love to have solar and other renewable energy but I am renting so not really an issue?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:44 PM

159 posts, read 406,101 times
If you include the energy it takes to produce the materials for the solar panels, the panels themselves, the batteries for storage and the construction to put them in place they are far from being a carbon free energy source.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:17 PM

914 posts, read 2,927,995 times
I'd re-think my endorsement of wind power, if I were you, arctichomesteader. All the Euro plants that manufactured these things have gone our of business when the govt. subsidies stopped, and they are bailing on them all over Europe. So now the green energy/wind salesmen crowd are coming over here trying to snooker us, or rather the government, to bankroll these things. I don't know how to post links on here, but all you have to do is type "abandonded wind turbines" in your search engine and you will find a lot of articles that are very eye-opening and, frankly, shocking. Actually, it's not only happening in Europe, it's happening here. In my state of California, we have a huge wind development in the Altamont Pass, not too far from where I live. They are all defunct now, and here's another shocker that I learned - a lot of those turbines you see with its blades spinning around are just for show! They aren't producing any energy, they simply keep them spinning to trick people into thinking that green energy is being produced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont