Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,110,787 times

Advertisements

I have no interest in following any traditions of NJ.

Common sense knows no borders.

I just think on public land, a dog should be leashed. I don't wander on private land. I also don't expect to be rushed by unleashed dogs while walking my dog on her leash in our apartment area but it happens nearly EVERY DAY. Or on the bike path or on a public street. The owners get annoyed at me...I don't understand...is THIS freedom?

One day three huge Newfies rushed my dog at the park. My son was scared out of his wits. The owners of the mammoths were 2 old people. The guy began giving US a tongue lashing for shooing his 200 lbs dogs off my 50 lb pointer. He could not control them. The dogs kept trying to get at my dog.

Law #1 of dog ownership--know how to control your dog(s) off leash. In public. Who mentioned farm dogs not herding sheep in my last post? Bang! You're reaching a little there.

In Jersey, I guess they'd shoot first and argue with the old man later. I have no clue. I am not from any gangsta town or NJ. We tried to walk away with the old man yelling at us to go back to Connecticut. Not from there, either. I guess we all look alike to 'real' New Englanders.

On the Jersey thing...

Maybe if we had some businesses up here like in NJ people wouldn't be so bloody miserable.

I don't say my experiences are 'typical' of VT-- just my own experience.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 04-01-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM

29 posts, read 145,048 times
Well thanks for the feedback- I like the north for the peace and quiet. I would like the slower lifestyle compared to what I am doing now. Vt is expensive so I keep hearing, so maybe I live on the border of NY/Vt or NH/Vt who knows. I can guarantee the quality of pizza in VT and NYC is not compareable to what we have in PA. I do not live in NYC or Jersey. I leash my dogs, let them run free if possible, and pick up after them too. I am still looking and researching, I just figured maybe there would be some good info on here. Its funny most of the above is negative but the posters STILL live there. Anyway thanks-

Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1 View Post
Its funny most of the above is negative but the posters STILL live there. Anyway thanks-
Well, this little thing call the recession keeps us here but I am definitely moving asap.

I suggested you search all the moving threads. There are lots of positives and some good info.

People get into us vs. them here but you will find honest.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,144,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Common sense knows no borders.

I just think on public land, a dog should be leashed. I don't wander on private land. I also don't expect to be rushed by unleashed dogs while walking my dog on her leash in our apartment area but it happens nearly EVERY DAY. Or on the bike path or on a public street. The owners get annoyed at me.

I agree. I think this is awful. It gives people and (unfortunately) dogs a bad name. Does your town have an animal control officer? Sometimes they do more harm than good but some of them care very much and might help. I've found Rutland's ACO helpful and he works closely with the regional Humane Society so everyone is on the same page as much as possible.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:43 AM

118 posts, read 285,591 times
Sarge1,

Actually, I think you'll find that a bunch of the negative post come from people who have already left.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,972,796 times
Make sure to investigate the pizza thing and your location thoroughly. I'm from NYC and I actually look forward to our weekends up there as there is some amazing pizza to be had.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

I agree. I think this is awful. It gives people and (unfortunately) dogs a bad name. Does your town have an animal control officer? Sometimes they do more harm than good but some of them care very much and might help. I've found Rutland's ACO helpful and he works closely with the regional Humane Society so everyone is on the same page as much as possible.
I'd rather just try and avoid dogs unleashed right now. We tend to tell people "I'm sorry, but our dog jumps." and quickly vacate the area, keeping incidence to a minimum.

The fact is unleashed dogs are a public nuisance no matter where you live. They have killed other peoples' dogs and bitten children and adults.

Guess we better get back on topic for the sake of the OP.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,144,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Make sure to investigate the pizza thing and your location thoroughly. I'm from NYC and I actually look forward to our weekends up there as there is some amazing pizza to be had.
This was a very pleasant surprise for us here, too. But good luck finding anything resembling a real bagel. If anyone has recommendations, I'm listening.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:54 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,972,796 times
There is a bagel shop in Stowe that is passable.

Passable.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:24 PM

I found the bagels at Price Chopper passable until recently. They make the salt ones with table salt (not kosher or 'thick') salt on top. No, no! The other flavors are decent unless you get a stale one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont