Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:23 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The Ethan Allen does work nicely for folks coming to the Killington/Rutland area.
As one of those Rutland folks, I agree. Okay, it takes me longer to get to Penn Station. Still, not having to deal with having my car in the city, or parking at a train station outside NYC, is a pleasure. I enjoy the views out the windows, there's AC outlets for my electronica, and I've had great conversations with fellow passengers every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 AM

104 posts, read 492,656 times
I take the train from Rutland or Montpelier to New York. It depends on what time I wish to arrive in New York and the Vermonter route is slower. When the turn around in Palmer is eliminated, it will cut 1 hour off the ride. Rutland to New York is faster, however, after a long train ride, I don't always feel like driving late at night Route 4 and Route 100 in the dark to get back to Montpelier.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,388 times
Good news in today's Rutland Herald:
Early steps taken to rebuild Vt. passenger rail service: Rutland Herald Online
"
Efforts to restore passenger rail service from Bennington County to Rutland . . . could put trains back on the tracks in five to six years."
Hey, it's a start!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,934,606 times
NO ,there are no plans to end VT service. But there are growing plans to build a High Speed Line through Vermont. Connecting Boston - Montpelier - Montreal , to sell it to the Vermont people , they added a stop in Montpelier. But I have a feeling it would be serviced by limited Trains. Also i think these line will be Electric , because i can't see a diesel line cutting through Vermont. I think the Chinese or Feds will build it. Its to early to know ATM , but by the end of the decade it should be either in the final planning stages or UC.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:56 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,675,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
NO ,there are no plans to end VT service. But there are growing plans to build a High Speed Line through Vermont. Connecting Boston - Montpelier - Montreal , to sell it to the Vermont people , they added a stop in Montpelier. But I have a feeling it would be serviced by limited Trains. Also i think these line will be Electric , because i can't see a diesel line cutting through Vermont. I think the Chinese or Feds will build it. Its to early to know ATM , but by the end of the decade it should be either in the final planning stages or UC.
The high speed line will end up like the Circ highway. Phase one was done seven years ago and here we still sit. New Hampshire elected not to participate in follow-up engineering and environmental studies which will delay the project even more. The other issue is the Federal grants are very competitive. Florida and California just got the majority of all available Federal money to build their high speed rail routes. They are estimating a Boston to Monreal route will generate 34 million per year, but if other urban areas such as Chicago can generate 3-4 times that amount and reduce traffic congestion, I'm sure the government would focus on those areas first. Rail grants are very competitive. They couldn't get the grant to improve the infrastructure to provide rail service between Burlington and Rutland. They are resubmitting for the grant, but as several state senators have stated. If it's not done this year, the money is going to be much harder to get next year. All of this info can be found here. Vermont Rail Action Network - In affiliation with Trainriders Northeast

Old 05-21-2010, 07:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,847,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The high speed line will end up like the Circ highway. Phase one was done seven years ago and here we still sit. New Hampshire elected not to participate in follow-up engineering and environmental studies which will delay the project even more. The other issue is the Federal grants are very competitive. Florida and California just got the majority of all available Federal money to build their high speed rail routes. They are estimating a Boston to Monreal route will generate 34 million per year, but if other urban areas such as Chicago can generate 3-4 times that amount and reduce traffic congestion, I'm sure the government would focus on those areas first. Rail grants are very competitive. They couldn't get the grant to improve the infrastructure to provide rail service between Burlington and Rutland. They are resubmitting for the grant, but as several state senators have stated. If it's not done this year, the money is going to be much harder to get next year. All of this info can be found here. Vermont Rail Action Network - In affiliation with Trainriders Northeast
Looks like the Circ might be rising up again. I have used the completed section from north of Essex near the outlet shopping center. couldn't find a link but this is from a report on WCAX the other night.

"Burlington will hold a series of public hearings on the latest plans to build the southern connector highway. The road -- now known as the Champlain Parkway -- is meant to help funnel traffic from Interstate 189 -- and Route 7 -- toward downtown -- while skirting the Southend neighborhood. The project includes rebuilding the never-used portion of the road -- that was built in the '80s -- and improvements to Pine Street. The city will hold four informational meetings -- about the project. The first two are next week. You can find the details in the InfoCenter at wcax-dot-com. That's News Around the Region".

Old 07-06-2010, 06:16 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,934,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I forgot to post these maps i got form a friend in the Transit / Rail Community. But a few months ago Amtrak and 11 other Northeastern States formed a 2030 plan. It identifies key corridors that need to reactivated or upgraded. Some Amtrak lines in New England will be turned into Commuter Rail lines , with up to 12 Round Trips daily. So all those studies will come into Reality later this decade. Connecticut , Massachusetts , Rhode Island and Maine are moving quickly with there plans while New Hampshire and Vermont haven't gotten there gears in motion yet. Quebec has expressed great interest in a High Speed Rail line into New England. The Maps just show the Main Trunk or Intercity lines , each state plans a smaller network. Along with a better Transit system in certain cities. I heard Streetcars are planned for 2 Vermont Cities.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 PM

118 posts, read 285,779 times
Ever notice how the quality of the track seems to improve right where the Ethan Allen Express crosses from Vermont into NY? Ever wonder why?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,275,973 times
I rode the Amtrak train when I left Vermont in 1994. Bellows Falls, VT to Anniston, AL. I'll never, ever move back.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:34 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,675,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I forgot to post these maps i got form a friend in the Transit / Rail Community. But a few months ago Amtrak and 11 other Northeastern States formed a 2030 plan. It identifies key corridors that need to reactivated or upgraded. Some Amtrak lines in New England will be turned into Commuter Rail lines , with up to 12 Round Trips daily. So all those studies will come into Reality later this decade. Connecticut , Massachusetts , Rhode Island and Maine are moving quickly with there plans while New Hampshire and Vermont haven't gotten there gears in motion yet. Quebec has expressed great interest in a High Speed Rail line into New England. The Maps just show the Main Trunk or Intercity lines , each state plans a smaller network. Along with a better Transit system in certain cities. I heard Streetcars are planned for 2 Vermont Cities.
The interest in high speed rail was between Boston and Montreal. Vermont would benefit with a stop around Burlington. When New Hampshire decided not to participate in follow up engineering and environmental studies, this put a big kink in the plans. As of now it is on hold. If they need to lay new rail bed in the state, this would pull Act 250 into the mix as well as people putting up resistance to the train going through their backyard or people having to surrender land for the rail. Very similar to the Circ highway saga that has been going on for decades in Cittenden County. You know the old saying 'that's a great idea, as long as it's not in my backyard.' The line from Rutland to Burlington may eventually make it, but they were turned down for the grant. Amtrak, like all other forms of transportation, depends on tax dollars. People in the country are irate at this point with the amount of spending the fed is doing. We will see what happens after November. The other option is to use tax dollars from the state. The state is in financial trouble at the this time. People who live in the western corridor I'm sure wouldn't mind this, but would the people on the eastern section of the state like tens of millions of dollars used on a rail line that would not service them or benefit them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont