Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2006, 07:29 AM

620 posts, read 2,058,090 times

Advertisements

Hi VTers-
I am planing to relocate to Vermont sometime around the end of the year. I currently live in NYC (been here for 7 years) and work in publishing. I will be doing freelance copyediting and writing in VT, so am not worried about employment. But, I'm 24 and freelance copyediting doesn't exactly pay big $$.
I will be looking for a rental at first, probably a 1-year lease. Ideally, I'd like to live in a private, cabin-type setting where I will have the ability to plant some vegetables (or care for some pre-existinng agriculture). I would be looking for less than $500/month for rent.
From some preliminary internet searching, the locations of Middlebury, Johnson, and Woodstock have popped up. I'm open to other possibilities. I will want to visit before moving, but I also want to narrow down my possibilities.
Also, feel free to contact me privately with any possible housing options you may have or know about (e-mail michael "at" openroadyoga.com). I will appreciate any and all information.
Peace
Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,278,340 times
Default Culture Shock!

First of all, be prepared for some culture shock. NYC to rural Vermont will be quite a change.
For the Middlebury area, read the Addison Independent online. Rentals are in the classified section. Not sure how far $500 is going to get you though.
Good luck!

Old 08-07-2006, 01:46 PM

620 posts, read 2,058,090 times
It will definitely be a big change of pace. I lived for the first 17 years of my life in very-small-town-Pennsylvania, though. So, I have some reference for the rural atmosphere. Thanks for the tip on the local newspaper.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:02 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,790,655 times
Johnson is a town you'd find congenial. Johnson State College is a major employer and the town is small and friendly. I'm guessing the housing costs there will be lower than Middlebury and Woodstock, both of which are tweedier. There's more denim and less pressed khaki in Johnson. Think herb tea rather than Perrier and you'll get a sense of the cultural "vibe" of Johnson vs either Middlebury or Woodstock. They are all towns I enjoy a lot, but they are quite different from one another and each is in a completely different part of the state.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:07 AM

23 posts, read 92,786 times
Micheal,
I lived in NYC for a few years before going to the Dallas area of Texas. Yes, I do agree there is a different way of life here, but you are not too far from NYC if you need a weekend away. One of the biggest things that threw me for a loop was the cost of living here, but I am caring for a family of 4 vs you caring for yourself. I hope that you do decide to come to VT, as it is a wonderful state. I have friends that went from living in NYC to living in VT and when they had to go back all they could say to each other is "This is NOT Vt." So they are making plans to be back in the Green Mountian State as soon as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont