Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yep, last sentence of their post.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 AM

16 posts, read 35,734 times
GypsySoul22,
First I'd like to say I listed that I've got my CDL because thats the kind of industry I'll be looking to work. Unfortunately, right now it's all I could get. I'm a realist to and I appreciate a straight up point of view, so thanks. I live pretty close to the Mexican Border actually. I've spent most of my life out working people who are willing to work for a lot less than I can get by on. Thats a way of life down here. Their is back scratching like you wouldn't believe in this area, a lot of people are related or friends of family and you definitely have to know someone to get by. The warehouse I worked at was outsourced to Mexico, sitting around complaining about not having a job wasn't working out either, so I borrowed the money and got something that should, in theory, get me back to work. Not to spawn a political debate, but this state actually allows illegal immigrants to obtain a drivers licensee, combine that with the fact state officials including the DMV have been imprisoned for taking bribes and selling ID's and licenses. We're getting over run down here man, it's not skin color to me, it's right and wrong, and I'm not paying taxes into a state that's making it harder for people to make an honest living down here. lol, you think you got it bad man, really?

LowboyTZ
Thank you sir, I was actually looking for OTR. You know what goes on in the field, grab a load of water and switch on to location as soon as you hit a dirt road and by the time you hit pavement again your pulling a 72 hour day with no sleep. It's dangerous, but if you don't, like you said, they'll find someone who will. It's just not for me. I was going to find an OTR from here and start pulling up in your direction, that way I can see some of these places for myself it for myself. If you leave your residence unattended down here it will be empty when you get back, if you call the cops, someone will jump across the border and burn your house down and be back in Mexico within the hour. I grew up here, I've put up with it all my life and I'm going to do something about it and make sure my kids don't have to.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
The part about growing up in nature...well, to be honest, there was plenty of nature in NY, and in other states. We went to parks and beaches all the time. We spent most of our free time 'in nature' hiking with our child, so I know that can be done anywhere.

Hopefully somewhere that fits what we want, a little more suburban, less rural.

Drugs, alcohol, crime...well, they are all over...I don't want to debate this point with anyone.

I agree with the homeschooling comment. I have seen a nosedive from the elementary schools here to the middle school. I was pleased with the elementary schools, staff and attitudes. Middle school, well, not so much, so yeah, moving because the school is not very good and there are few resources for my son (with mild autism) makes sense.

Good luck to the OP--yes, I know the stress of having a lot of illegals and the officials turning their eyes away. Vermont has few of these. One positive point...then again, the people (illegals) aren't going to flock here because there are few jobs. You will see non-Hispanics in jobs here that are always done by them in states like NY or CA. (again, no offense to anyone).

Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,203 times
I grew up in a suburban neighborhood in southern CT with tons of stuff for kids to do all around us. However, most of my childhood was spent outdoors riding my bike, wandering through the woods behind my house, wandering through the woods behind my friends' houses, etc. We'd occasionally go into "the city" (New Haven) for things like museums, but only once in a great while and usually as a school trip. We would make our own fun. So having "nothing but nature" can be a good thing. My neighborhood had no families, just older folks, so we were used to traveling to visit friends or having friends come to to visit us. We went to a lot of parks as well, usually having to drive there.

Now that I live in the city, I actually yearn for more open space.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Ya man, crime is everywhere. I'm sure I'll end up driving through Boston and New York, awful places when referring to crime. This region is about to get really bad, I've been sitting on the front line of this thing for going on 30 years. Everyone leaves me alone for the most part because they know I walk a straight line, don't make waves, and just mind my own business. Arizona passed a tough immigration law, so a lot of people from there are going to head this way, and why not, you can get a drivers license. The Sinola faction just took out the Juarez faction with over 5,000 murders in a couple years. Right in your back yard you know. They're going to start coming this way, and why not, they can get a drivers license. Dude, I just want to work, work hard, and get by. It's not a lifestyle I wanted to be a part of, but you just can't compete with cold hard cash and sheer number of people involved. Next they'll institute kidnappings, assaults, and more violence to establish their territory, most likely purchase warehouses and hubs for their distribution. With my new found career, you'd undersand my hesitation, I'd much rather pull a load from Canada, so I applied for my passport and I'm switching borders within the next year. I've never been a part of it. However, you can lecture your family and friends all you want, god granted us free will and their going to do what they want in this world. I want to get up North, where people are thinking about going to school and doing honest work, values you can instill in your family god willing. Not to bash this part of the country, but you guys are a lot smarter than most of the folks down here.

Last edited by Joshua2010; 04-29-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-29-2010, 12:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
There's been an issue with some farmers getting in trouble for hiring illegals here. They're here, not like down there, but they're here. On one hand I understand why the farmers hire them (we're in danger of losing hundreds of farms from the collapse in prices), but there's a lot of people here who'd be willing to do the work, even at minimum wage or a bit higher these days.

Joshua, you really have to experience the job market up here to understand it. I haven't worked a full time job since I got out of the teaching business. It's been rough at times. If I had some land here it'd be easier for me to get by on little work (in spite of the taxes on it). Town life is driving me nuts and I need more money to finally move out of town but finding a full time job so I can save enough is proving very difficult...and most places will hire locals over transplants.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Well I'll most likely be driving over the road, for a national carrier, so the local job market won't really have as much of an effect on me. I got a Hazmat because it lets the employer know I'm not a terrorist, don't have a criminal history, and I'm not to lazy to keep up with the process or follow the rules. I'm really just looking for a place to put my stuff until I get home, and have a better chance of it actually being there when you get back. I'd like to settle down, raise a family, and I'm not going to do it here. What ever you guys have to deal with, we deal with down here and then some. I'm taking advantage of the fact I stayed out of trouble, get the passport and haul loads out of Canada. That will keep me away from the activity down south, which I have no control over. I can take the cold. I can work non stop, with no breaks and out last most of the people you may be used to dealing with. It sounds to me like people in Vermont try and talk people out of going there so that it will remain rural in an area that is not. They keep the prices up and the jobs limited so that the idiots will stay in places like Boston or New York. I'm not one of those idiots, but I don't want to live around a bunch of ***** holes either. I'm heading north, just try and stop me.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua2010 View Post
It sounds to me like people in Vermont try and talk people out of going there so that it will remain rural in an area that is not.
LOL! Sometimes I think this, too. All I can say is that my husband (here since the '70s) and I (here since the mid-'90s) love living in Vermont. So do most of our friends and neighbors.

We know a few people who either don't like it (weather, lack of shopping, etc.) or aren't making it (too expensive, lack of jobs). Some leave. But this forum contains way more negativity about Vermont than I experience day to day.

I was at an event recently. One of the speakers said that before she moved here, people said in horror, "You're moving to Vermont, and worst of all to Rutland?!" She said that once she arrived, she found it the most welcoming, community-oriented place she'd ever lived.

Although I wouldn't have picked Rutland (I picked my husband and he was already here), that's been my experience, too. It's been an amazing community for me and great for my career (though I realize this is far from the norm). I'm more involved locally than I've ever been in my life. I'm certainly more at home than I was in my hometown of Miami Beach, FL, where I was a 3rd generation native and had tons of friends & family. I couldn't wait to leave Miami (left for good in '88). When I visit SFla, I can't wait to get back to New England, no matter what time of year it is.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 04-29-2010 at 12:49 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
LOL! Sometimes I think this, too. All I can say is that my husband (here since the '70s) and I (here since the mid-'90s) love living in Vermont. So do most of our friends and neighbors.

We know a few people who either don't like it (weather, lack of shopping, etc.) or aren't making it (too expensive, lack of jobs). Some leave. But this forum contains way more negativity about Vermont than I experience day to day.

I was at an event recently. One of the speakers said that before she moved here, people said in horror, "You're moving to Vermont, and worst of all to Rutland?!" She said that once she arrived, she found it the most welcoming, community-oriented place she'd ever lived.

Although I wouldn't have picked Rutland (I picked my husband and he was already here), that's been my experience, too. It's been an amazing community for me and great for my career. I'm more involved locally than I've ever been in my life. I'm certainly more at home than I was in my hometown of Miami Beach, FL, where I was a 3rd generation native and had tons of friends & family. I couldn't wait to leave Miami (left for good in '88). When I visit SFla, I can't wait to get back to New England, no matter what time of year it is.
Right on, I've been looking from the west coast to the east coast just to put their mind at ease lol. If I happen to end up there I'll be sure and toss out a not welcome mat for anyone who dares to inquire. What it boils down to is this part of the country is going from bad to worse, I paid five grand and got something I can use to get the heck out. I grew up out in the sticks, with all the same problems. Sparsely populated, an hour drive to Walmart, four hours to a Best Buy. Once they get through with my processing I can just shoot up to Montreal, eight to ten hour drives are par for the course in the southwest. I worked in the oil field in Wyoming and North Dakota and I can handle anything you throw at me. My concern is congestion in Boston or New York, I'll have to go through there, my choices down here are Dallas, Phoenix, Los Angeles and so forth, take the bad with the good and I'll take it head on so long as I don't have to spend the whole time worrying if your home is safe or not. It's all good, I know what to expect and that is good, I won't be welcome for a while, but the first person that hires a non-local will be glad they did. You build a reputation as being a hard working, reliable person and people will warm up to you, no different than here lol.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
My concern is congestion in Boston or New York, I'll have to go through there, my choices down here are Dallas, Phoenix, Los Angeles and so forth, take the bad with the good and I'll take it head on so long as I don't have to spend the whole time worrying if your home is safe or not.
To me, Boston seems like a big small town compared to huge Dallas. Boston traffic sometimes sucks, to be sure. New York City is easy to drive around and I don't mind the occasional visit.

Rutland, where I live, is a small Vermont city. While I wouldn't leave my doors unlocked or my keys in the car, I feel safe here.

Quote:
It's all good, I know what to expect and that is good, I won't be welcome for a while, but the first person that hires a non-local will be glad they did. You build a reputation as being a hard working, reliable person and people will warm up to you, no different than here lol.
I think it's great to be the best community members we can and let people learn from experience that they can trust us. Honestly, I've never experienced feeling unwelcome in Vermont, not even right after moving here. If you're in the Northeast Kingdom or one of the areas of the state where there aren't so many transplants, I imagine that might be more likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont