Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Nervous southerner, relocating to Burlington, Vermont, rental and housing costs, long winters, Lake Champlain, liberal and bohemian people, high quality of life, cost of living high less than Boston

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 PM

12 posts, read 37,630 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your kind and informative responses! I am so looking forward to flying up tomorrow and checking everything out! I'll still be nervous about the Vermont winters, prolly until I live through one. But I thank you all for painting me a real picture of what it is like.

Leggo: I wouldn't say NC changed so much. I guess it's more me. NC is a lovely place. Like anywhere else, it's getting more crowded, but that's just life. I grew up in Greensboro,NC(North Central NC) and hubby in Asheville,NC(Western NC). We now live in the foothills in Lenoir,NC(technically Western NC as well). I guess I have just had a picture/idea of some unknown place in my head for a long time. After a lot of research, turns out Burlington seems to fit the bill almost completely. P.S. I don't know about what the humidity is like in New England, but down here you must be prepared for hot, sticky weather from mid/late April until September or so. It is a bit cooler in the higher elevations, but not enough!

Kozmic Ninja: Thank you so much for your honesty about the dark/long winter and the good news about the roads. I was grateful to hear that Vermont is similar to Western NC. I will always love the Blue Ridge mountains, but I have to agree with you on the infrastructure. Asheville is outgrowing itself rapidly and with no real plan for this growth it has the traffic,crowds, gated communities, and McMansions to prove it.

Ontheroad: Thank you so much for that lovely visual! Snow is still very much a novelty to me. Your description made me want to build a snowman and fire up the Cocoa-Motion!

Chazlongue: Thank you so much for your driving tips and your helpful information on where to look for rentals. I will definitely be keeping in touch!

Vermontskiptracer: Thank you for adding information about areas I am not really aware of. I have some more research to do now and am so grateful for a local's insight into other options. Looking at the map it appears that where you live is about an hour commute to Burlington. Is this accurate? I definitely don't need to be walking distance to the hospital. In fact, I prefer more rural living. I was mostly hesitant about any real commute because of not knowing what trouble road conditions or my inept winter driving would cause me. I did look up that hospital you mentioned. Unfortunately, they aren't hiring in my field(Nuclear Medicine). But, it is definitely something to keep an eye on, so thank you very much!

I apologize if I left anyone out. You all have been so helpful to me and I can't thank you enough. You have put my mind at ease before I hop my plane tomorrow to Vermont. I'll post back next week and let ya know how I fared Hope you all have a wonderful Father's Day weekend!

Christy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 PM

12 posts, read 37,630 times
Default Thanks again

Thanks again to all of you for your great replies! We had a wonderful weekend in Vermont. The Burlington area is just beautiful. I accepted the job at Fletcher Allen today, so we are Vermont-bound! We are so excited and should be there in about 6 weeks

Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,081,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chbowman View Post
Thanks again to all of you for your great replies! We had a wonderful weekend in Vermont. The Burlington area is just beautiful. I accepted the job at Fletcher Allen today, so we are Vermont-bound! We are so excited and should be there in about 6 weeks
Burlington is an absolutely gorgeous area....I'm from upstate NY and visit every summer. Good luck with your new life in NE...you won't regret it!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 AM

122 posts, read 458,809 times
Welcome to VT!! Glad to hear you liked it~Burlington in the summer is the best. My favorite season here is the fall, there's nothing like it!! So where are you looking at living? Do you have kids? Good luck in your search!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,585,705 times
Any areas in VT that lean toward more Christian than others? Curious to see if there are any bible-believing churches up there.. Any people who take a stand for Jesus Christ?

-Thanks y'all

Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM

25 posts, read 90,313 times
Default ..... Good Luck !!!! .....

Quote:
...... Congratulations!! .... Try Realtor. com ... has everything for your housing needs .... Also, keep posting as to how you acclimate as it will help others [like wife & I] in maybe 3 years when she can retire from NYC school system .... Arrividerci !!!! PG

Old 07-12-2007, 08:18 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,431,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Any areas in VT that lean toward more Christian than others? Curious to see if there are any bible-believing churches up there.. Any people who take a stand for Jesus Christ?

-Thanks y'all
I can't think of a single place in Vermont (or all of New England) that is more Christian than any other town. Like everywhere, every town will have mix of people with different religious or non-religious beliefs. The Bible Belt this is not. The general rule of thumb in New England is your religion is your business and no one really cares what you do or don't practice. With that said, there are many Christian churches all over Vermont.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:04 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,297,955 times
It depends on what your definition of "Take a stand for Jesus Christ" is. If you mean living life in a Christ-like, humble and inclusive way, then yes. If it means proselytizing and intruding on the lives and rights of others, then no.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:40 PM

141 posts, read 228,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post

-Thanks y'all
I think you will find that you are in the minority in Vermont. The largest Christian denomination is Catholic followed, I think, by Congregationalist.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM

100 posts, read 381,788 times
Quote:
You'll love summer here, much shorter and cooler than what you are used to.

Fall is Gorgeous here.

Winter's have gotten much less intense than they were even 10 years ago but they can be long and dark. Nothing like a good snowfall, especially the day after when the sun lights up the trees.

Burlington does have it's share of progressive thinking folks, so this may be a bit of a change for you from SC.

I've loved my past 10 years here, that is for sure.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont