Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,749,281 times

Advertisements

I just bought Skyrim today on it's 33% off Steam Sale. Jan & Feb were kinda dead in games sales so I jumped in on Skyrim.

I don't know what's the best character build on Skyrim... Maybe I'd like to have powerful arrow stealth kills, some good magic, and a sword and shield if I ever get into melee fights.

So what are your recommendations and what have you played and how good is your character? Also recommend character builds not to use!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Im on my third character/play through and still cant tell you what is the best. All three of my characters are different with different skills and perks. I say play your first playthrough (trust me, game is so good you'll play it more than once) with whatever strikes your fancy. You'll learn enough about character development, skills, abilities, perks, etc. to formulate a better/even more fun character your second/third playthrough.

My current game, I created a smoking hot Breton chick who is a mage. Think I've already leveled up to 6 or 7 but havent chosen/used any perks yet. I level up magicka each level, but am really really thinking about how to use the perk system this time around.

My second character is a Dark Elf assassin thief battle mage and all around bada$$. Master enchanter, master mage and master two hand who walks around in his enchanted dragonscale armor. This is my most complete all round toon who has basically done it all except for Bairds college and Companions.

First play through was a Redguard. I was new to these kind of games so I wasted a lot on this dude like perking speech and lockpicking. Hey, I didnt know what I was doing.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Im having fun now with my hot mage chick, but I REALLY had a lot of fun with my second toon. I figured out how to create enhanced enchant potions to enchant outfits to make stronger potions to make stronger alchemy outfits to make even stronger enchanted armor and weapons. Then mine, make and sell enchanted armor, weapons, jewelry to get rich. So much fun. So friggin' much fun.

Just choose your perks very very wisely. You only get so many before you run out.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,684,789 times
Stealth archer for the win.

You can level up to 100 sneak during the first 10 minutes of the game if you really want to.

Where you see the bear, you have to sneak by him. Prop your dude, up on a rock, sneak into the rock so you arent actually moving with a stapler on your keyboard, come back 6 hours later.

Honestly the easiest character in my opinion is full mage. You just run backwards while shooting spells and run in circles until you get more mana.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,365 times
Although some people like to play as a mage for fun, I must say, most magic in this game is functionally useless. There is no spell that can do even a fourth the damage that an ebony dagger with the Assassin's Blade + Ancient Shrouded armor can. With this set up, you can get 30.0x backstab damage with daggers, allowing you to sneak up to and one-shot ancient dragons, even on master level difficulty. There's hardly anything more satisfying that jumping onto an unsuspecting dragon's back and killing it with one hit.

The only really useful magics are enchanting and possibly conjuration, but especially enchanting. Combined with alchemy, you can legitimately make potions that increase your ability to improve weapons and armor by 120% or more. My Dragonbane katana has a damage rating of 244, and my ebony sword (enchanted with life drain) has around 144. I have two pieces of fortify one-handed apparel both enchanted with a 43% improvement. Alchemy is useful for other reasons too. Being able to make invisibility potions that last over two minutes is awesome, and you can sell them for a *LOT* of money.

Conjuration can be useful for using things like bound weapons, especially bound bow, which basically allows you to pull an unupgraded Daedric bow out of your a** at will, and it comes with 100 bound arrows (also Daedric level) to boot. You can pick it up at Fort Amol as soon as you start the game. At the higher end of things, you get spells like Dead Thrall, which allows you to raise a semi-permanent zombie follower, (which doesn't disintegrate upon death) and the ability to summon two Dremora Lords, which is both ridiculous and extremely awesome.

Be sure to level up your sneak as much as possible (but without neglecting your battle stats). There is never a time when it doesn't come in handy. Don't waste too many perks on Lockpicking or Pickpocketing. Lockpicks are extremely easy to come by, allowing you to brute force any lock you want, and pickpocketing works just fine with minimal perks. However, *definitely* get the Extra Pockets perk. One can never have enough carrying capacity. Also, contrary to what another poster said, do NOT level up your sneak (or any skill!) to 100 extremely early in the game. You will end up with a very high sneak with no battle skills to match it. Having to face level-matched enemies with such a configuration is not cool.

Don't bother with heavy armor. Using proper smithing technique, you can easily push your light armor well past the armor limit, and light armor has the awesome Wind Walker perk (50% faster stamina regen when wearing all light armor), and most of the best armors in the game (Glass Armor, Thieves Guild Master Armor, Nightingale Armor, Ancient Shrouded Armor) are light armor.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:57 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,684,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Although some people like to play as a mage for fun, I must say, most magic in this game is functionally useless.
somewhat true about magic being less powerful but magic allows you to cast from a distance and hardly ever get touched.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 PM

I try to play with magic only for the most part now. I think its friggin' awesome. Only time I switch to weapon is for those "Oh No" moments. Good to have super double enchanted daedric weapons with 100 skill and all perks on One Handed as a backup to magic. Worst part about master level destuction is it takes a couple of seconds to unleash it.

Last night, I was demonstrating the power of master level magica to the 16 year old who is a Daedric armor warrior/brute to show him how effective magic is. Made the mistake of casting the (cant remember the name) master fire explosion type spell upstairs in Hjerim. Friggin' ruined my house . EVERYTHING both upstairs and downstairs were thrown all over the place. It was a complete disaster. Senna, being the good wife, cleaned all that sh*t up in the time it took me to walk over to the blacksmith and back to sell him some stuff. Then I was like "Senna, make me some dinner", she said "Okay, I'll do it this time, but you should be cooking for me" or something like that.

So I pretty much am in GOD Mode with my first two characters. Master level magic (destruction, enchanting) and enchanted full dragonscale armor with One Handed mastery and legendary double enchanted daedric weaponry.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM

So, whats the build Jesse? What did you decide on?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,749,281 times
I'm playing a male Dark Elf that's supposed to sneak kill with the bow but so far I've mostly been using onehanded with a Spark magic to kill enemies. So my bow progress has been going slow. I find that I like using Spark to kill enemies, so I spent a perk on Destruction Magic. I'm gonna live with Light Armor so I spent a perk on that too. I found out too late that I should have started as a Khajit - The Prima Skyrim pdf guide has a good section on starting character characteristics - looked at it too late after I started a character. I didn't want to restart a new game the 3rd time.

My time playing Skyrim is split between my other games on my hitlist: Red Orchestra 2, Dungeon Siege 3, Batman Arkham Asylum, Company of Heroes, World in Conflict, Rage, and Lord of the Rings: War in the North.

Even though I'm unemployed with a ton of time to play games I try to control it and not play too much. I gotta jobhunt, read Eng books, and improve my job skills and do money making ventures. So far I have 5 hrs played in Skyrim.

I'm very glad I waited to buy Skyrim. Now with alll the mods, High Res Textures, and the Steam Workshop it'll be a nice first playthrough.

On my $4000 gaming rig Skyrim plays at 2560 x 1200 on a 30" monitor at 50 to 60 fps Ultra setting 8x antialiasing 16x Anistropic. I have an i7 2600K 16gb ddr31600 CAS 7 Geforce 570 system.

Just bought ANNO 1404 and it's complicated / gotta read a manual and guide before I play it. ANNO 2070 is too expensive now so I went with the previous ANNO version to get ANNO gameplay. Bought ANNO 1404 Gold from Amazon for $12.79 dvd shipped - was cheaper than the download version. Copied the dvd to USB external drive and it worked on install. Plus once activated you don't need a Play Disk.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Stealth assassin with the backstab bonuses (perks and gloves) or stealth archer will just plain stomp over most everything in the game. In fact, they are too strong and I recommend against them if you want any sort of challenge in the game level 40 and above. Even on master difficulty, above 40 in those builds the game is EZ mode. And I despise not being challenged and quickly grow bored when overpowered. Certainly, avoid enchanting at the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games