Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:04 PM

336 posts, read 865,130 times

Advertisements

Even though you don't want to spend the money....i highly recommend the wii. We have them all my husband loves video games and so does our 10 yro son. But as a family especially if you want to spend time with your son and play a game the wii is what i would recommend. My son and I have a blast playing it together whether it be the will sports or mario party 8 which is like a board game. plus it gets you active instead of just sitting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM

13,240 posts, read 21,865,100 times
On a slightly related topic, is there any developmental benefit to video game systems for children? Our kids watch a little TV, and I think there's actually some benefit to the shows they watch. They do increase their vocabulary and imagination, up to a point of course. Is there any benefit to games? Our kids aren't asking for them yet. Should I let sleeping dogs lie? Thanks!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,681,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
On a slightly related topic, is there any developmental benefit to video game systems for children? Our kids watch a little TV, and I think there's actually some benefit to the shows they watch. They do increase their vocabulary and imagination, up to a point of course. Is there any benefit to games? Our kids aren't asking for them yet. Should I let sleeping dogs lie? Thanks!
The Wii has had a big fitness focus, especially with games like Dance Dance Revolution. The new version for the Wii, for example, not only incorporates foot movements (with a pad) but also your arm movements (the Wiimote and chuck in your hands). Its being used in homes to help maintain muscle strength for the elderly, and games like Mario party I personally think make for a fun time for all involved, with minigames that better hand-eye coordination. For my cousin (who was a premie, 8 months) who has horrible fine muscle controls because of his early birth, video games have actually helped him quite a bit.

There are new games coming for the DS, and I would assume the Wii, that focus on mind games (memory, logic, etc).

Personally, I put the Wii above all other consoles - the fact that its by far cheaper than the other new games is a significant bonus.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 AM

13,240 posts, read 21,865,100 times
Thanks for the input, CuCullin. I like the idea of the pressure sensitive mat input on the wii. My kids love dance, so that dance revolution game sounds really interesting.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,471,388 times
As far as the latest and greatest graphics go, the Xbox 360 and PS 3 have the edge on the Wii. But as far as overall family fun, best deal for your money, and good clean games the Wii is the best deal. I wouldn't think of it as spending $250 on your kids. Think of it as spending $250 on your entire family because your all going to get hooked on it.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 PM

79 posts, read 286,200 times
Get a PS2.

I bought 5+ years ago for over $200 and only a handful of games.

The PS2 I got played more DvD titles for the kids. And even some fighting games for me (Street Fighter).

I often browse at bargain bins. You can get $5 CD games nowadays. Just write the name of the title and google the title for reviews.

The PS2 can also play PS1 games as well.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM

153 posts, read 480,451 times
We bought our kids a refurbished game cube, I'm sure there are other systems available. Much more affordable and it's been absolutely fine for over a year.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:45 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,196,742 times
Thanks for all your input, guys. We decided to get the Wii, but it will be a Christmas present from Santa instead. I was able to pick one up at my local Walmart today since I was up early. I actually met an older gentleman there who was picking one up for him and his wife. They're planning on having Wii parties with their neighbors!

I'm sure my son will really enjoy it. Now he'll just have to save his money to buy more games (I ordered Carnival Games, which he wants, and Big Brain Academy from Amazon today)!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:30 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,824,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
As far as the latest and greatest graphics go, the Xbox 360 and PS 3 have the edge on the Wii. But as far as overall family fun, best deal for your money, and good clean games the Wii is the best deal. I wouldn't think of it as spending $250 on your kids. Think of it as spending $250 on your entire family because your all going to get hooked on it.
When my son got into video games I decided he could only have one system because the games are so expensive I wasn't going to keep up with a bunch of them. So he got a Gameboy Advance...then of course they came out with the better one Gameboy SP (which you had to buy because the kids were going blind with out the back lit screen) then I had point on my Mastercard so I got a gamecube and gameboy player for it..still the same games..so we were doing good. But then last year the Wii hit. Well I didn't even try to get it for Christmas because I wasn't ready to go there...but he did get it for his birthday. Luckily I was able to coordinate it amongst the entire family so it didn't cost that much. But for more than one person to play you have to buy extra controllers and numchuck things....and they add up quick, plus memory cards, and those online points things for download games....I'm pretty sure on Games and accessories and the system it's been about $1200 but like I said about half of that was from family....so for that I am grateful. The games are better for kids in that there are a lot of E rated games...and the sports package is a blast for the whole family. So we do like it. Definitely the one I'd go with if I were to do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games