Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Anyone else playing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Oh most definitely. Only picked it up last night, so I only managed to get about 5 hours in so far. But Im hooked. Im loving it. Love the character creation system (you can actually make excellent looking characters in an open world game! Hallelujah), love the pawn system and seeing that people have used my pawn. The battle is dangerous, fun, and varied. The world looks great to me overall, but there are some blurry textures. Its no skyrim when it comes to world graphics, but the superb animations make up for it. And the lighting engine...wow.. nights or caves/dungeons are fantastic in this game. Darn work and sleep; keeping me from playing this as much as Id like.

Playing as a strider and Im leaning towards becoming an assassin for now. Magic archer maybe though..

Edit: Much of what I like is how this game does not hold your hand. Night is so dark, and so dangerous. If your lantern runs out, well good luck. No fast travel, no handholding through quests. No enemy autolevelomg allows you to get killed so easily if you you go where you shouldnt have yet
It really rewards exploration and being aware. It feels like an rpg Ive been wishing for for ages. So far anyway..

Last edited by 11thHour; 05-23-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM

I'm liking it... I spent 3 hours building the perfect character and am only about 6 hours or so into the game.

I like but don't like the lack of hand-holding in the game... for example, during the mission that takes you to Grand Soren (spelling?) for the first time, I honestly got scared and worried as night fell before we got to the city and was seriously relieved when we finally got to the gates! I never would feel that way otherwise because most RPGs are scaled to your character level so you know they were made to be completed; not having that assurance is a whole new game vibe and a lot more realistic!

On the flip side, I keep finding myself WAY over my head, in certain dungeons especially. I wish there was at least some hint on which quests/dungeons are over my skill level. Hopefully someone will do an online guide on which places are best avoided early on!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM

That's what I like. Adds an element of danger that I think is missing from games these days. Dark Souls was good in this regard also.

I put more time in. Found a cave behind a waterfall with ruins inside. It has water everywhere and I cannot for the life of me find the key needed to open a door inside. And apparently there is limited quick travel back to Grand Soren. Some of the battles are just epic! Even normal goblin fights are great. I like hearing their battle horns blow and then getting swarmed.

The game does have a a screen tearing issue. The first while it was distracting, but I must have gotten used to it as now I don't notice it unless I look for it. Oh and one of the first things I did was turn off the pawn subtitles. Those take up too much screen area.

Last edited by 11thHour; 05-24-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Well, I'm up to level 44 and now the game is too easy! I'm really getting bored of traversing the same stretch of coastline back and forth to get to the rest of the areas in the game, fighting the same monsters that spawn in the same spots too.

This game would have been A LOT better if it was set up like a journey across a continent from city to city, maybe with little side excursions along the way. Instead, everything radiates around the main city Grand Soren and retreading old paths is pretty much inevitable.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Level 49 assassin now. Maxed strider, ranger, and now am sticking with assassin, love it. Specced all the night-bonus augments, and now try to travel exclusively at night. Just met the duke on the main storyline, and I've read that means I still have a ways to go. This game has some rough edges, yet I can say this is my favorite rpg this gen. I just love this game.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

Edit: Much of what I like is how this game does not hold your hand. Night is so dark, and so dangerous. If your lantern runs out, well good luck. .
Are you likely to be eaten by a grue?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 AM

I finished it last light, ended as a level 54 Ranger.

Something I wonder though:

Spoiler
Everyone on the internet said you could only buy "The Maker's Finger" arrow once and that it wouldn't kill the dragon that rips your heart out at the beginning of the came. I bought 4-5 of them and it DID kill the dragon in the end... but it also wasn't the end of the story. Anyone else?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:57 PM

I'm enjoying post game loot hunting in the everfall. Level seventy something assassin, but I still haven't managed to take down the ur-dragon. Soon...

Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
I just started playing and can tell these pawns will be annoying. They all talk at the same time and say nothing useful. The music kind of sucks, but the gameplay has been fun so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games