Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 05:39 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

So I have searched for months looking for the elusive Nintendo Wii in stores (So called entrepeneurs bought them up selling them for $100-$200 more in Craigslist, Ebay and Amazon). So 4 weeks until her birthday, I find it in Target and Walmart so I snatched one up. I had even gone to Game Stop to put in a 'pre-order' but found it in Target 5 minutes later - "Great Success!"

Anyways, I was looking for games that enjoyable for her to play. She is no natural when it comes to video games so I am looking for relatively fun/easier games (Sonic the Hedgehog / Super Mario type of games are too frustrating and I end up playing the whole game for her).

I bought her the Bratz game but I was also thinking of something like Wii Sports, Carnival games and Game party. I have spent about $350 on an extra controller, the system and 1 game. I still need to get a memory card, too, right?

Long gone are the days when systems came with everything you needed (2 controllers, a game and no need for memory cards).

If I were buying for myself, I would have gotten the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 04:16 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
I'm compelled to answer with a couple of main points.

1) the Wii of any of the game consoles out today is the most oriented towards fun/wholesome family-type of games so you made the right choice if that's what you're looking for. You definitely won't see a massive list of titles available, but the ones which are should be listed and described at a few places: Us.Wii.com -- The Global Wii Experience Website in English (those are the titles by Nintendo) and also for a more comprehensive list: Top Wii Games - Best Wii Video Games - Best Wii Games - Top Wii Video Games (there are more violent titles here, but I am assuming there's some appropriate ones as well).

2) As a former video game addict myself I am going to say that 7 years old is too young to be proactively buying and supporting your daughter playing video games. Seriously, I read what you have written and I am convinced you're driving the habit rather than your daughter. Unless she is asking for specific game titles, and has something in mind why are you spending money & investigating this for her? If she is not coordinated or sharp enough yet to play the games that came with the wii or any others you have purchased thus far - perhaps that should be a sign that she isn't ready for a game system.

To be honest nothing great ever came from my own (nor my various friend's addictions) to games and we got a much later start on the consoles- age 12 or so. Most of my video-game addicted friends became out of shape as such. The unhealthy habit of just wanting to sit on one's butt rather than to play outside or to do something else stimulating is reinforced with frequent gaming. Perhaps your daughter wants you to play the games and to finish them because she enjoys spending time with you - have you considered doing something more active with the one-on-one time you have with her?

Well whatever you do, its obviously a personal decision. I think wii is a great system though - I'd also consider searching ebay.com and amazon.com for titles and reviews as well.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
If she is not coordinated or sharp enough yet to play the games that came with the wii or any others you have purchased thus far - perhaps that should be a sign that she isn't ready for a game system.
You are absolutely right.

I grew up with little growing up and I never had things like these of my own. I bought a Barbie Jeep (250 USD) that she did not use.

She has an IPOD video and Nintendo DS that she uses when we travel. I should reconsider this Wii thing.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM

I reconsidered and she got it. She was happy with it. She kicks my tail in Surf's up and tennis.

I am getting High school musical for it.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:59 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I reconsidered and she got it. She was happy with it. She kicks my tail in Surf's up and tennis.

I am getting High school musical for it.
While I don't advocate becoming addicted to video games (or watching TV), they are fun for even kids of 7 years old. Video games help a childs hand to eye coordination.

The first time my daughter played Super Mario Kart Double Dash when it came back, she was a wreck but now she is fabulous. I moniter how much she plays and make sure she gets plenty of time outside and exercise. I also make sure the titles she has are age appropriate.

There have been many occasions where she has friends over and I sit down and play games with them. Her friends tell me I am the only parent that does that with them. They are envious of my daughter for having a Mom who plays video games with them.

We just got Super Mario Galaxy which is alot of fun. I am thinking that Super Paper Mario is going to be good as well, at least thats what the magazines are saying. Super Mario versus Sonic Olympics is supposed to be good as well. We also have a game called Elebits which is alot of fun.

If you check out a store called www.gamestop.com where you can actually try out the games before you buy them because they sell used games. While you can order games off the site, they have stores all over and you should be able to find one in your area.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
At that age, my kids enjoyed Crash Bandicoot and Monkey Ball. I must admit I also enjoyed playing the Crash Bandicoot games, especially CTR (Crash Team Racing). Here's a link to one on Ebay...I hope we can do this.

New Nintendo GameCube Wii Game CRASH TAG TEAM RACING - (eBay item 120184059200 end time Nov-21-07 14:28:32 PST) (broken link)

Wrath of Cortex is supposed to be fun as well.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 AM

693 posts, read 1,040,473 times
Default Wii is the greatest

I don't see anything wrong with getting a Wii. I have a 6 year old son. We enjoy playing Wii Sports . . . as a family. We also take turns playing the Sims game and Super Paper Mario. Kids your daughter's age really don't need to be that coordinated. The key is whether they're having fun. As for your child being too young, video games are very much a part of our culture these days. You sound like a good parent who knows moderation, moderation, moderation ~ so that your daughter doesn't become an "addict." The great thing about the Wii also is that you can go to the menu and see how long a game has been played.

Last, I completely agree with Lindsey. Whether you are playing video games or doing whatever, what your child will remember most is whether you're spending time with her ~ so that she doesn't become an addict.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:58 AM

I was thinking of Carnival GAmes and Hannah Montanna.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:09 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I was thinking of Carnival GAmes and Hannah Montanna.
Hannah Montana will be a great one, I'm sure my daughter will be wanting that one as well.

It would be nice if they would make a Hannah Montana DDR, Dance Dance Revolution.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:57 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Hannah Montana will be a great one, I'm sure my daughter will be wanting that one as well.

It would be nice if they would make a Hannah Montana DDR, Dance Dance Revolution.
They'll probably come out with it sooner or later, and my (almost 18 year old) daughter will probably be the first one to want it. lol

I agree, she would probably love Hannah Montana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games