Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times

Advertisements

Has anyone recently bought the Wii U, and what are your thoughts?

Although there aren't much games out for it but it just got out a few weeks ago. The Wii U is the newest console since the Xbox 360 came out back in 2005 and the PS3 which came out in 2006 and the Wii in the same year.

I'd like to get one. Looks awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Nintendo and I am divorcing I refuse to keep buying systems, games, acessories and then they change the systems. Wouldn't be so bad if the old games would play on new systems too the Wii games will play on the new Wii U but the Wii U won't play on the Wii. I don't want or need a controller the size of a mini iPad either.

Good luck if you buy into Nintendo's sink hole.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM

286 posts, read 417,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Nintendo and I am divorcing I refuse to keep buying systems, games, acessories and then they change the systems. Wouldn't be so bad if the old games would play on new systems too the Wii games will play on the new Wii U but the Wii U won't play on the Wii. I don't want or need a controller the size of a mini iPad either.

Did you really expect the old Wii to support Wii U games?

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Nintendo is not the only company that releases new game systems.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM

286 posts, read 417,855 times
I was lucky enough to find a Wii U on the Toys R Us website. It is awesome and very fun! I highly recommend spending the extra $50 and purchasing the deluxe, as you get much more memory (32G instead of 8G) and it comes with Nintendoland, which is surprisingly addictive!

Have fun if you decide to purchase!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Does the Wii virtual console still exist? I read that the most recent version of the Wii stopped backwards compatibility. Such a shame. Glad I have the original Wii that I can still play my Gamecube games on when I want to, as well as take advantage of the virtual console.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post

Did you really expect the old Wii to support Wii U games?

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Nintendo is not the only company that releases new game systems.
No but there were adapters in the past to play older games on systems. I know all of them come out with new systems but I'm only interested in Mario & Donkey Kong really. No biggie I will just keep my money and play the games I've beaten when I need a fix even though the new Mario looks really cool at the store.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,950 times
Quote:
No but there were adapters in the past to play older games on systems. I know all of them come out with new systems but I'm only interested in Mario & Donkey Kong really. No biggie I will just keep my money and play the games I've beaten when I need a fix even though the new Mario looks really cool at the store.
The Wii U does play the Wii games, as do the controllers (minus the Gamcube ones). One must do a bit of a work, but once its done, you have the Wii menu available, and games do play on it. The Gamecube games do not work on the Wii U though.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,904 times
I'm enjoying mine. Way more than I thought I would. The launch software is good, not great, but the shop contains should very solid DL-only titles to enhance that.

If you do buy one, get the deluxe and nothing but. It will save you money in the short and long term.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:55 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
I bought the Deluxe on Day One. For me it made sense for several reasons.

1. off-TV play -- love it, very convenient feature
2. Miiverse
3. I never owned a Wii, so this is also an opportunity to play stuff like Galaxy 2, Madworld, and several others
4. my girlfriend is actually enjoying Nintendo Land and NSMBU as well as a couple of Wii games like Boom Blox BP and her My Fitness Coach game
5. I figured if I didn't buy it now I'd start missing out on yet another generation of games (it's hard to catch up years later like I'm trying to now)

Downsides are the strange hardware architecture (weak CPU) that will help lead to another lack of third-party games (like GTA V), the lack of a true account / login system that will probably prevent me from purchasing eShop games, the long OS load times, and various other odd design and procedural choices.

Of course, I also never owned a PS3 or XBox 360, so I picked a PS3 up for Black Friday for $200 with Infamous 1/2 and Uncharted 1/2. In fact, including my 3DSXL that I bought for my now frequent business travel, I've bought three game systems in the past couple of months!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:

Just keep the old system. I recently just tried out the gamepad. It's not that huge and its really light. There is a smaller controller you could buy, it is called a Wii U Pro Controller. You can still use your Wii controllers on the Wii U.

The Wii was released 6 years ago and why would want to play a game for the new console on the old console. It does not work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games