Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times

Advertisements

Anyone else playing? I know it seems over-hyped, but I REALLY enjoyed this game. It's one of the few games I've played lately that presented any kind of challenge (play on hard...you either learn to be sneaky or you die.) The story was compelling, the voice acting was excellent, and the end was *coughs* unique.

Funny thing, I really didn't like Naughty Dog's other games like Uncharted...I felt no connection between my skills and the character's actions on screen. Not so with Last of Us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I apparently missed all the spoilers.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I apparently missed all the spoilers.
I was waiting to see if anyone wanted to discuss the 'unique' ending. Normally I don't care about spoilers at all, but Last of Us is one of the few games where I really went out of the way to avoid them and I'm glad I did.

*real spoilers below*

If you played it...any thoughts on the ending? In looking at reactions, it feels like many people were shocked and I really didn't feel that way...it was very in-character for Joel to make the choice that he did. I also don't feel his choice was really that selfish, since there was no guarantee at all that a cure would have been successful. I also have to admit the lead up to it was very cliche...as soon as they mentioned the Fireflies and the doctors, I turned to my friend and said "They'll have to kill her to get it and we'll have to fight to get her back." It just felt obvious, but I loved how ruthless the scenario actually played out.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
This game looks really beautiful. I'm debating on whether to get it or not, though. Seems like I might get really frustrated, but it might be nice to have a challenge for once.

I'm watching a playthrough on Two Best Friends Play and it is weird to hear them actually praising a game!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
This game looks really beautiful. I'm debating on whether to get it or not, though. Seems like I might get really frustrated, but it might be nice to have a challenge for once.

I'm watching a playthrough on Two Best Friends Play and it is weird to hear them actually praising a game!
It is frustrating. Certainly the first time I encountered a clicker (they can one-hit kill you if they get close), I died over and over.That first encounter is brutal...the game doesn't hand-hold you and explain the best way to kill each enemy. But once you do figure it out, things gets easier and you actually feel pretty accomplished. I played it mainly stealth...there were points I took down two dozen guys without ever firing agun. The AI on the enemies is very good, but not perfect (if you take down one guy, another will come to investigate the body...take down him, another comes...soon you've got a pile of six or seven bodies, yet no one catches on to the congo line of death)

Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
It is frustrating. Certainly the first time I encountered a clicker (they can one-hit kill you if they get close), I died over and over.That first encounter is brutal...the game doesn't hand-hold you and explain the best way to kill each enemy. But once you do figure it out, things gets easier and you actually feel pretty accomplished. I played it mainly stealth...there were points I took down two dozen guys without ever firing agun. The AI on the enemies is very good, but not perfect (if you take down one guy, another will come to investigate the body...take down him, another comes...soon you've got a pile of six or seven bodies, yet no one catches on to the congo line of death)
AI's reaction to "death" always cracks me up. In Skyrim, you put an arrow through someone right next to another person and the other person looks for you for about 15 seconds.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 PM

552 posts, read 720,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I was waiting to see if anyone wanted to discuss the 'unique' ending. Normally I don't care about spoilers at all, but Last of Us is one of the few games where I really went out of the way to avoid them and I'm glad I did.

*real spoilers below*

If you played it...any thoughts on the ending? In looking at reactions, it feels like many people were shocked and I really didn't feel that way...it was very in-character for Joel to make the choice that he did. I also don't feel his choice was really that selfish, since there was no guarantee at all that a cure would have been successful. I also have to admit the lead up to it was very cliche...as soon as they mentioned the Fireflies and the doctors, I turned to my friend and said "They'll have to kill her to get it and we'll have to fight to get her back." It just felt obvious, but I loved how ruthless the scenario actually played out.
Loved it. Top 3 this gen for me. Loved the ending too because I would have done the same damn thing, especially since humanity didn't deserve a cure by this point, bunch of savages.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:45 PM

243 posts, read 547,652 times
The game made me become the characters. No other developer has done that. I had very little "fun". Little pleasure in gunplay, stealth kills, or sneaking. The levels were obstacles that I had to resolve to survive. I felt accomplishment and relief. The point of third person shooters is to kill things. TLOU is a different game , killing costs limited resources, it costs time, it risks being seen/heard.

The fun parts were the peaceful moments between Joel and Ellie talking about life.

By the end, I felt as Joel did, desperate and angry. I'd had enough. I cleared every room and left no one standing save one cowering person. And I felt terrible afterwards for what I'd become.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post
The game made me become the characters. No other developer has done that. I had very little "fun". Little pleasure in gunplay, stealth kills, or sneaking. The levels were obstacles that I had to resolve to survive. I felt accomplishment and relief. The point of third person shooters is to kill things. TLOU is a different game , killing costs limited resources, it costs time, it risks being seen/heard.

The fun parts were the peaceful moments between Joel and Ellie talking about life.

By the end, I felt as Joel did, desperate and angry. I'd had enough. I cleared every room and left no one standing save one cowering person. And I felt terrible afterwards for what I'd become.
When I first started playing, I was in the mind set of more recent survival horrors games like Resident Evil 4. I wanted to kill every enemy I came across, because that's how such games have trained me to react. I very quickly learned that was a *bad* idea...the game does not reward 'guns blazing' type attitudes. It's more in line with the first Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

I did have fun even though I died (a lot), but I know the feeling of accomplishment you're speaking of. I felt *connected* to the actions on screen in a way that's very unique. It's funny, because I was just playing through Uncharted 2, and even though you can see the roots of TLOU in that game, I had NO connection to the characters or action at all. Totally different experience from TLOU.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post

I kicked her in the head. I left no one alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games