Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

OK, we don't play the popular video games. We like the puzzle/hidden picture games. We found one for Wii and loved it. We also like the simple sports or motion control games. Wife has spinal problems and Wii games help to keep her moving. I've heard about Gamefly but aren't familiar with them. How reliable is their service? How easy is it to cancel if we don't want to continue their service? When they send a game, does it include instructions on how to play the game? What about places like GameStop? If they don't have a game in the store, can they get order it at no additional cost? Have people had problems with buying pre-owned games?

Wife wants to know if any of the Nintendo WiiU games will play on our Wii. I told her probably not, that our old Wii games will work on the WiiU, but probably not the other way around. Is this right?

Games that require a complex series of button presses to do a particular thing are not for us.

Now questions about the Wii U. Does it have an HDMI connection? Does it connect to the internet at a faster speed and with more memory than Wii? Wii was so slow and so low on memory that most webpages wouldn't even fully load. If downloading a Wii game, do you need SD chips to put the game on. Is downloading the Wii game to a chip cheaper than buying the box game? Wife's medical problems puts us on a very tight budget. Spending more than $20 on a game is out of the question for us at this time. On the Wii U, what is that hand held pad for? Is it to play a game on your lap while someone watches TV? Does it help you to play certain types of games? One option we're considering is to use our income tax money to buy a Wii U and pass our current Wii to my mom and her boyfriend who are in their late 60s so they and their friends of similar age can play some of the sports games together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
OK, we don't play the popular video games. We like the puzzle/hidden picture games. We found one for Wii and loved it. We also like the simple sports or motion control games. Wife has spinal problems and Wii games help to keep her moving. I've heard about Gamefly but aren't familiar with them. How reliable is their service? How easy is it to cancel if we don't want to continue their service? When they send a game, does it include instructions on how to play the game? What about places like GameStop? If they don't have a game in the store, can they get order it at no additional cost? Have people had problems with buying pre-owned games?
I am not familiar with Gamefly but I would avoid Gamestop unless you know what you came in for. They like to take advantage of their customers and get them to purchase bunch of useless products. Decline all of their additional products they will push onto their customers, don't believe every word the cashier tells you and just get what you came for. You can check online to see whether a particular store has that item and can call in advance to confirm it.

Quote:
Wife wants to know if any of the Nintendo WiiU games will play on our Wii. I told her probably not, that our old Wii games will work on the WiiU, but probably not the other way around. Is this right?
Correct. Wii U games will not work on the Wii but it is possible to play Wii games on the Wii U.

Quote:
Games that require a complex series of button presses to do a particular thing are not for us.
While there are a few games on the Wii U that does that, the Gamepad or the Hand Held pad as you refer to it does contradict what Nintendo was initially aiming for with the Wii. I only have three games for the Wii U and only one of them requires a series of button presses (ZombiU)

Quote:
Now questions about the Wii U. Does it have an HDMI connection? Does it connect to the internet at a faster speed and with more memory than Wii? Wii was so slow and so low on memory that most webpages wouldn't even fully load. If downloading a Wii game, do you need SD chips to put the game on. Is downloading the Wii game to a chip cheaper than buying the box game? Wife's medical problems puts us on a very tight budget. Spending more than $20 on a game is out of the question for us at this time. On the Wii U, what is that hand held pad for? Is it to play a game on your lap while someone watches TV? Does it help you to play certain types of games? One option we're considering is to use our income tax money to buy a Wii U and pass our current Wii to my mom and her boyfriend who are in their late 60s so they and their friends of similar age can play some of the sports games together.

Yes, the Wii U has a HDMI connection and HDMI connection only but only supports Wifi. This could be good and bad depending on your preferences. It will likely be faster than the Wii but Wireless connection is a hit or miss. While I have issues of my own where I receive poor signal, if I just adjust the position of the Wii U slightly, it works for me. Nintendo uses the Nintendo Network for downloading software. Nintendo has yet to figure out how to use it themselves so I would stick with buying the retail copy which brings to another issue. There are currently two version of the Wii U, one is white and have only 8 GB of internal flash memory and the other is black and has 32 GB of internal flash memory and includes a copy of Nintendo Land, one of those simple games that anyone can get into. Do not mistaken this for the Legend of Zelda bundle. In the long run, neither of these two will be suitable for downloading games. You would need to purchase a external hard drive. I am not sure whether this works for Wii games. I am going to assume you will still need a SD card for Wii games as the Wii U includes a SD slot.

Back to the hand held pad, yes and yes. You can play certain games while someone else is using the TV and a few games requires the use of the Gamepad.

If you were to purchase the Wii U, here are a few games that would suit your preferences. Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club (the same as Wii Sports but in HD and include online play). Wii Sports Club is purchase online but I have not heard anything about a retail release. Wii Party will be released next week. I am not sure of the price of them but they will likely be over $20 while Wii Sports Club is released in November. I expect this to be a much lower price. You could also try Game and Wario.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I am not familiar with Gamefly but I would avoid Gamestop unless you know what you came in for. They like to take advantage of their customers and get them to purchase bunch of useless products. Decline all of their additional products they will push onto their customers, don't believe every word the cashier tells you and just get what you came for. You can check online to see whether a particular store has that item and can call in advance to confirm it.

Correct. Wii U games will not work on the Wii but it is possible to play Wii games on the Wii U.

While there are a few games on the Wii U that does that, the Gamepad or the Hand Held pad as you refer to it does contradict what Nintendo was initially aiming for with the Wii. I only have three games for the Wii U and only one of them requires a series of button presses (ZombiU)

Yes, the Wii U has a HDMI connection and HDMI connection only but only supports Wifi. This could be good and bad depending on your preferences. It will likely be faster than the Wii but Wireless connection is a hit or miss. While I have issues of my own where I receive poor signal, if I just adjust the position of the Wii U slightly, it works for me. Nintendo uses the Nintendo Network for downloading software. Nintendo has yet to figure out how to use it themselves so I would stick with buying the retail copy which brings to another issue. There are currently two version of the Wii U, one is white and have only 8 GB of internal flash memory and the other is black and has 32 GB of internal flash memory and includes a copy of Nintendo Land, one of those simple games that anyone can get into. Do not mistaken this for the Legend of Zelda bundle. In the long run, neither of these two will be suitable for downloading games. You would need to purchase a external hard drive. I am not sure whether this works for Wii games. I am going to assume you will still need a SD card for Wii games as the Wii U includes a SD slot.

Back to the hand held pad, yes and yes. You can play certain games while someone else is using the TV and a few games requires the use of the Gamepad.

If you were to purchase the Wii U, here are a few games that would suit your preferences. Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club (the same as Wii Sports but in HD and include online play). Wii Sports Club is purchase online but I have not heard anything about a retail release. Wii Party will be released next week. I am not sure of the price of them but they will likely be over $20 while Wii Sports Club is released in November. I expect this to be a much lower price. You could also try Game and Wario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games