Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:07 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
ROFLMAO.

Sony has Gaikai.
Oh, so I was right. Thanks, just making sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
If the PS4 builds a substantially larger user base than the Xbox One then it'll be Microsoft themselves exclusively developing software that takes advantage of Azure because as you said, "game development is risk averse". If 343 Industries is an example of Microsoft's first-party developers for the Xbox One then the console is in deeper trouble than most people are letting on.
Don't squirm...

This discussion of this thread was about cloud computing facilities on both platforms. Whether or not first party developers match or exceed one another is an entirely different discussion. However I will take Turn 10 over Digital Polyphony who went totally off after PS2.

Risk averse doesn't just mean that they'll only develop for the predominant technology (and that technology has yet to be determined in this generation, regardless of how hard you sing the Sony Anthem), if it did, then gaming would be entirely PC only, with penetration into the mobile market. However consoles would be a thing of the past, and lets be honest here, consoles that are pure gaming platforms don't add much general functionality to people's lives, it's a games console, but a PC can play games the best PC's play games better than consoles with higher resolutions and better online experiences, your phone can play games, hell your Web enabled TV can play games (and you can sometimes play games on your cable box, or DVR).

Old 01-02-2014, 07:55 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
So I have been trying to find a PS4 for a couple of months now, but no luck. Each time I go into a Gamestop and Walmart, both places have multiple Xbox1's and zero PS4's. Heck, Xmas eve, Walmart had 6 in and zero PS4's.

So I am trying to figure out why store shelves have many Xbox 1's but do not have any PS4's. Is it because the PS4 is cheaper? Perhaps people prefer the PS4 over the Xbox1? Or could it be that Microsoft shipped out many many more units to cover all the demand while Sony sent out just enough to cover pre-sales?
Today I was out cashing in some gift certificates I got for Christmas and I noticed every store had tons of Xbox One's in stock but no PS4's. Sam's Club had over a dozen XB1's in their cage thingy and Walmart had about 8 in their glass case. It appears that Microsoft is really saturating the market right now.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:11 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Today I was out cashing in some gift certificates I got for Christmas and I noticed every store had tons of Xbox One's in stock but no PS4's. Sam's Club had over a dozen XB1's in their cage thingy and Walmart had about 8 in their glass case. It appears that Microsoft is really saturating the market right now.
Dude... the horse is dead.

I could give a rat's if there wasn't a PS4 available in the entire northern hemisphere... it still doesn't make it a better console. If I lived paycheck to paycheck and had to put my next gen console on my credit card just to make sure I had the money in my checking account to pay my rent at the end of the month guess what...

I'd have bought a PS4.

What? The XB1 has a better game library? I don't care, I need to save this $100 in case I run out of gas on my way to work next week.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:52 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Dude... the horse is dead.

I could give a rat's if there wasn't a PS4 available in the entire northern hemisphere... it still doesn't make it a better console. If I lived paycheck to paycheck and had to put my next gen console on my credit card just to make sure I had the money in my checking account to pay my rent at the end of the month guess what...

I'd have bought a PS4.

What? The XB1 has a better game library? I don't care, I need to save this $100 in case I run out of gas on my way to work next week.
This is the mentality that has the United States $17,000,000,000,000 in debt.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Well, if you buy a Sony, that's $400 of our trade deficit going to Japan, which then increases the National Debt, because it's increasing the trade deficit the $400 leaves the country for Japan, if you buy an Xbox One, then there's no trade deficit, because Microsoft is an American Company, AND the $500 is subject to tax from Microsoft's corporate taxes (so no net negative from trade deficit, and a net positive from taxes), which of course may not be directly subject to taxes for Sony (SCE being a Japanese Corporation). Indeed around $14 or so goes to Sony for every game purchased, which also increases trade deficit, with an XB1 that $14 or so goes to Microsoft (no net negative trade deficit) and is subject to corporate taxes.

If you really care about the National Debt, you would also care about the balance of trade, then you'd consider these things before deciding who gets your money.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
That may be so... I was pointing out that the price had absolutely zero influence on what console I bought.

I paid cash for my XB1. Yes I paid $100 more and for that I got all in one functionality, Kinect, and better games.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:01 PM

239 posts, read 617,958 times
I don't have any allegiance to either one. I do have a 360 and am considering an xbox one. I would like to get the PS4 just so I can have access to the PS only games. I am leaning towards the xbox because it seems like it just has more capabilities. It controls the tv, dvr etc. Also it comes with the kinect so if I choose to get one of those games I can.
I dont know...someone help! Why should I choose the PS over the Xbox?

Old 01-03-2014, 01:57 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif408 View Post
I don't have any allegiance to either one. I do have a 360 and am considering an xbox one. I would like to get the PS4 just so I can have access to the PS only games. I am leaning towards the xbox because it seems like it just has more capabilities. It controls the tv, dvr etc. Also it comes with the kinect so if I choose to get one of those games I can.
I dont know...someone help! Why should I choose the PS over the Xbox?
You already answered your own question...you want to play Sony exclusives but it appears that you prefer the Xbox One for its media content and Kinect.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
You already answered your own question...you want to play Sony exclusives but it appears that you prefer the Xbox One for its media content and Kinect.
... and that's why I bought an XB1. I got the exclusives (Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, and KI) that I wanted... as well as NBA 2k14 which is great on either console. I also love the all in one features and Kinect is pretty darn cool.

The PS4 launch titles were pretty bad. I'll buy the PS4 in March when it has an exclusive I want... (MLB 14 The Show) It will be my secondary console.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games