Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 10:08 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,847 times

Advertisements

https://www.pcgamer.com/can-real-tim...rink-of-death/

I always loved RTS games and still fire up command and conquer a few times a year. Would be great to see them make a comeback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 08:53 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I played Age of Empires and AOE II competitively as a teenager on MSN Gaming Zone. I bought the HD remaster when it came out a couple years ago.

It's a trip down memory lane and I'll fire up a couple games once or twice a week. I can still win 1v1 RMs against random people probably 80%-90% of the time from all that playing in clans as a kid. At that time, I was on the lower end of the high rollers, so to speak.

I don't think today's kids have the attention span for all the chess pieces.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:47 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't think today's kids have the attention span for all the chess pieces.
Funny as those of us that prefer turn based games think that the real time folks are the low attention span ones.

Company of Heroes was my favorite of the RTS games.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:51 AM

1,406 posts, read 802,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Funny as those of us that prefer turn based games think that the real time folks are the low attention span ones.

Company of Heroes was my favorite of the RTS games.
Agreed. RTS always seemed too frantic and hectic to me. Give me a Civilization or MoO, where I can take time to plan my moves. Actual strategy.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:42 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Yeah never liked the "twitch" games. RTS has no S-Strategy really when the real strategy is to simply move your wrist as quick as possible.
Give me turn-based all the time for strategy games. Give me time to analyze my next move, like chess.

I do like Total War series and similar, but I use the pause feature quite a bit.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah never liked the "twitch" games. RTS has no S-Strategy really when the real strategy is to simply move your wrist as quick as possible.
Give me turn-based all the time for strategy games. Give me time to analyze my next move, like chess.

I do like Total War series and similar, but I use the pause feature quite a bit.
It's not, but okay. I mean, you take something of the Starcraft archetype and that's really about competitive online play. Sure, the campaign wasn't bad but it's not what made Starcraft. I played a lot of Starcraft back in the day and later Dawn of War and Company of Heroes which are similar games that really focused on the competitive online play aspect. There's definitely strategies and counter strategies but they're by any means 4x/grand strategy type of games. I mean, sometimes they do hybrid a bit like Dawn of War campaign mode but really it wasn't a particularly good 4x/grand strategy game by any means.

These days I enjoy more 4x/grand strategy. I've played way more HoI, Stellaris, or EU though. Look forward to CK 3. Never really got hooked in Civ 5 or 6. I own them both, played them a bit, but didn't really get hooked on them. Total War I've sort of checked out on since Rome II. I bought Britania when it went on sale for 50%. Okay for $20 but nothing to write home about, wouldn't really recommend it. I might do the same with Three Kingdoms which probably won't be 50% off until Troy is coming up.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:09 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's not, but okay. I mean, you take something of the Starcraft archetype and that's really about competitive online play. Sure, the campaign wasn't bad but it's not what made Starcraft. I played a lot of Starcraft back in the day and later Dawn of War and Company of Heroes which are similar games that really focused on the competitive online play aspect. There's definitely strategies and counter strategies but they're by any means 4x/grand strategy type of games. I mean, sometimes they do hybrid a bit like Dawn of War campaign mode but really it wasn't a particularly good 4x/grand strategy game by any means.

These days I enjoy more 4x/grand strategy. I've played way more HoI, Stellaris, or EU though. Look forward to CK 3. Never really got hooked in Civ 5 or 6. I own them both, played them a bit, but didn't really get hooked on them. Total War I've sort of checked out on since Rome II. I bought Britania when it went on sale for 50%. Okay for $20 but nothing to write home about, wouldn't really recommend it. I might do the same with Three Kingdoms which probably won't be 50% off until Troy is coming up.
I don't do online usually, so that's perhaps one of my issues. Prefer playing against the AI.

It doesn't even have to be 4X (although I like Civ IV and prior and like you haven't gotten into the releases yet). Matrix games and a few other niche distributors have some excellent turn-based war similuations with really good AI. "Strategic Command" and "Operational Art of War" is a good example (I think they are also on Steam). Not visually exciting, sometimes using NATO symbols, but they do pretty good at war simulation.

Total War likewise I like the old series, still play "Medieval II" and "Empire" . If I get bored with it I just try out another of the many mods that the community has created.

EU...I guess you would call those pausable real time. I have EUIII and EUIV and CKII but have yet to really play them alot. For some reason I really have a problem getting into it (maybe due to the complexity). Sometimes I feel that the game is just playing itself. CKII - sometimes that seems like a genetics simulation, so much focus on getting your character married to the right spouse to produce the perfect offspring with the right traits. Don't even get me started on the DLC that they constantly roll out.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
https://www.pcgamer.com/can-real-tim...rink-of-death/

I always loved RTS games and still fire up command and conquer a few times a year. Would be great to see them make a comeback.
try 0ad. best free rts i played. i would play still but ive already know everything about the game.

RTS will certainly be big hit one day, and you will see one RTS made after another, which is not good (like it happened to battle royale). but whatever.

I didnt play AOE but theres AOE4 and if it will have good multiplayer battles then ill play it 24/7

Old 01-29-2020, 06:31 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Can RTS make a comeback?

I dont think so. At BEST, it'll become a "niche" gaming category like flight simulators. A very very small but loyal following, but never make any appearance in any Top 25 Games list. Again, this is at BEST.

There are just too many other exciting games out there, especially in the FPS, MMO and the life consuming MMORPG genres.

If something were to make any type of "comeback", there would have to be a significant demand and interest in it. This is NOT going to happen with any RTS game. Its just is not going to happen.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:31 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I dont think so. At BEST, it'll become a "niche" gaming category like flight simulators. A very very small but loyal following, but never make any appearance in any Top 25 Games list. Again, this is at BEST.

There are just too many other exciting games out there, especially in the FPS, MMO and the life consuming MMORPG genres.

If something were to make any type of "comeback", there would have to be a significant demand and interest in it. This is NOT going to happen with any RTS game. Its just is not going to happen.
Yeah I tend to agree. 3D gaming killed RTS, while there have been large releases during this current era of gaming (Starcraft 2 for example) it's been dead a while, and even SC2 wasn't the run away success it was expected to be. Moving away from PC to console didn't help either.

I could see it returning as a minigame in a larger title though. Like in an open world title RPG or AA that adapts based on outcomes of RTS conflicts. Would increase replayability for one thing, and provide motivation to engage with the minigame as another.

The other alternative is RTS mobile games, it's a reasonable platform and classic RTS would have died for the computational, graphical and memory specs of a modern cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games