Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM

216 posts, read 313,847 times

Advertisements

I am currently re-reading Cornwell's Sharpe Series and Fraser's Flashman series (great, great books by the way) and now I'm hankering to play some RTS set in the age of black powder warfare. I want to get really detailed with infantry formations, line vs square vs column, switching between ball and canister for my cannon, flanking formations with cavalry, etc. I am a big history nerd so the more micro management the better. Can anyone recommend a game like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,346 times
Napoleon Total War maybe? That might be your thing.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:01 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
This is something I know about, I think I've played the majority of them just to try to find the right one. However my preference is for turn-based games. With the RT it turn not as much into micro-management, but into a click-fest. Anyways, these are the ones I've tried (I think you're interest is tactical, but I will include some grand strategy and some turn based):

Napoleon Total War: The obvious choice, mix of RT tactical battles and turn-based grand strategy. It comes with the Total War franchise's mix of excellent graphics and really bad AI. It's fun however, get one of the good mods like The Darth Mod so the AI can be improved. You will enjoy the tactical mod.

March of the Eagles: Real Time strategy/operational (not tactical, although you do have some tactical choices before combat) similar to Europa Universalis. It's been somewhat ignored by it's publishers but I actually enjoy the heck out of this game. The game engine they call "pausable real time". If you buy, get the mod that enables you to start in the Europe of 1795. It has a very simplified poltical engine to it, which is actually pretty accurate to Napolenoic warfare - lose one or 2 battles and a nation sues for peace, loses some territory, pays some concessions, and lives to fight in the next coalition a year to two later.

Crown of Glory: This is turn based so it may not interest you. It is also mostly grand strategy, but it does have a tactical turn-based layer like Total War (except all turn-based). Extremenly complex as it does a good job of modeling the economy and the complex political aspect of that period. As well as the logistics of moving man and beast over Europe and not having them starve to death before they even get into combat. There is a serious learning curve to it.

John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic War: Again, turn-based. But it recreates tactical combat, moving from line to column and squares, skirmishers, cannon, cavalry, probably still the best and most accurate historical representation. This is an old game engine from the late 90s, with sprites representing troops, but the battlefields and order of battles are represented to a T. Matrix publishes the new version of this game so that it works in all new operating systems, and modders have recreated just about every battlefield that Napolean every walked on.

Mount and Blade Warband: Napoleon Expansion: This Napoleon expansion is purely for on-line play. It's real time and like no other game around. The novelty of this is a few modes:
a.) The Commander mode - You can play online and command a squad of soldiers (20 to 40). Line up next to your fellow squads and maneuver, order your troops to fire volley's, advance, fall back, order bayonet charges, move into 2 lines, 4 lines, etc. You play on teams that may have 20 or more squads each, so you can look to the left and right to see how your other team's forces are doing, and support each other, watch for cav, outflank, etc. You play a commander with a sword and pistol. You can also play commanding a cannon or cavalry squad. This is amazingly fun, and unique. Check out some youtube videos.
b.) now if you are really serious then you can join a clan and just play one soldier with hundreds of other Napoleonic enthusiasts divided into actual regiments. This is serious stuff - these guys actually practice with their characters, have commanders, you may play a common footsoldier with a brown bess or baker rifle and virtually train marching in line, changing to column, changing to square, etc. Then they have battles. A bit to serious for me, but it's there.

I think that is the list of the games I've tried or played. There are others out there, for RT the other ones I know about but never have played include:
Cossacks 2 (with or without the Napoleonic expansion): Sounded just like Total War but it seems most of the battles are in some urban villages. Not historically accurate.
HistWar: Read both good and bad things about this game. RT, tactical battles, huge maps, historically accurate, but bad interface and very complex.
and soon to be:
Scourge of War: Waterloo. Oh man this might be the ultimate engine. The Scourge of War series is used for Civil War right now but they are adapting it for Napoleonic Warfare. Like Total War, but with an actual AI that actually gives one a challenge, and it will look and feel like a battle with huge maps and thousands of soldiers, not a skirmish with a few hundred soldiers. This will be a first day buy for me:
Scourge of War: Waterloo first Screenshots revealed

Last edited by Dd714; 09-22-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 02:03 PM

Oh yeah, I have never read the Sharpe's books but I've been renting the Sharpe's movie series from Netflix and can highly recommend it. Made for British television, it does what it can with the limited budget. Not bad at all.
I also recommend the Napoleonic age of sail novels by Patrick O'Brian.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:45 PM

216 posts, read 313,847 times
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply, dd714. I will check out that list. Mount and blade seems too hardcore for me but I'm going to look it up anyway.

I would definitely recommend reading the Sharpe books. They are extremely entertaining action novels with a lot of the period details you will probably like. I saw a few episodes of the show, and it was OK. But I really imagined Sharpe, Harper and the 95th as these larger than life asskickers and the the show did not measure up in that respect.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:59 PM

112 posts, read 180,790 times
I'm pretty sure there is a Napoleonic mod for Crusader Kings 2. It is isn't a RTS, but might has lots of micro management, so might be up your ally.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply, dd714. I will check out that list. Mount and blade seems too hardcore for me but I'm going to look it up anyway.

I would definitely recommend reading the Sharpe books. They are extremely entertaining action novels with a lot of the period details you will probably like. I saw a few episodes of the show, and it was OK. But I really imagined Sharpe, Harper and the 95th as these larger than life asskickers and the the show did not measure up in that respect.
Play the Mount and Blade commander mode in option a, it's actually very casual and they don't even have any leader board or kill/death statistics you have to worry about; just skip the ultra-nerdy option b mode.

For the Sharpe movies - wow how can you get more larger then life then Sean Bean (I guess maybe he is too short). And as an added bonus Sharpe's 4 has an early career topless scene of Elizabeth Hurley. I may have to check out the book if it has a lot of detail.

Crusader Kings is grand strategy I think (similar to the EU series) but I've seen good reviews about it.

Also check out Matrix Games list of Napoleonic games, some of which I have discussed in my previous thread. None of them have the fancy graphics of Total War however:

Matrix Games - What's Your Strategy?

Old 09-26-2014, 06:58 AM

I have another one! - Imperial Glory - Game from 2005 or so, set in the Napoleonic period. Seems to be very similar to Total War - with a turn-based strategic map and a real-time tactical battle. Just saw it for all of $5 on Steam. Reviews seem mixed, but for $5 it might be worth a try.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:44 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,190,448 times
If you are thinking about getting Napoleon Total War, it is on sale on steam through Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games