Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:27 PM

822 posts, read 2,207,409 times

Advertisements

I've played through Fallout 3 and FNV multiple times. I'm excited about this new one, but I can't play it until this semester is over b/c I know I'll most likely get hooked right away.

What are your impressions of the new game so far?

Is some of the same music used from Fallout 3 & Fallout NV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 07:20 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,611,758 times
PC version keeps crashing for me. Can't even begin

Old 11-11-2015, 08:54 PM

4,066 posts, read 2,280,529 times
Have about 6 hours in so far and it's intense!!! I have the PC version and no issues so far. Storyline is great and graphics are amazing. It's definitely a game you want to take your time and really get into. Loving it so far!!!!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,860,055 times
Gotta say I love it... It's an irrational love though.

The graphics are a bizarre mix of the best next-gen graphics thrown into something from the early PS3/XBox 360 era... for example, some of the faces you can make in the character creator mode are jaw-droppingly detailed down to the last skin pore but the character bodies themselves are stiff, unnatural and just plain silly... like animated barbie dolls really. The lighting works well in the environments but it often washes out the details of your character and makes them look lousy in 3rd person or cut-scenes. Some of the textures/environments are freakishly photo-realistic (like vault 111 where you can read every single dial on the equipment) but the vast dead forests outside just look like crap... almost like they were lifted straight out of Skyrim minus their leaves.

Really, the game feels like one of Bethesda's older titles spiced up with graphics mods... it's just not visually well-balanced like we expect from most games these days and plays pretty much exactly as the older games too.

...But there's something just so damn addictive about scavenging and exploring. Being able to make the game your own with post-apocalyptic weapons, armor, personal pads and even towns is a stroke of genius too.

I wonder how this game would do if nobody knew what "Fallout" was. I think we forgive A LOT because we have so much nostalgia for the series rolling around in our heads. Still, what other games allow you to pick up virtually every object in the environment, kick 'em around, carry them to the other side of the map or just fill your inventory with thousands of items? I'm into it about 16 hours after only 2 days of playing it and I know I'm gonna be sucked into this game for months.

I read somewhere that "Fallout 4" is what we remember "Fallout 3" being like when we played it for the first time... if you actually go back to 3, it's shocking how bad the game aged.

Kinda makes me excited for "Fallout 5" in another 7 years.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:50 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,856,346 times
I have not played any of the Fallout series, is it a similar "feel" as playing Skyrim (aside from the completely different type of story)?

Old 11-12-2015, 05:42 AM

4,066 posts, read 2,280,529 times
Well it's much gloomier! I was in a new area the other day and scavenging. The winds started picking up and before I knew it there was a radiation storm coming! I hid in a nearby shelter and watched it thru a tiny window. It was hard to see anything and lighting was everywhere. Stayed there until it passed. The weather details add a special authenticity to this game!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:55 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,128,329 times
I ****ing love it!

One question: for the crafting portion of the game....all all the resources you need located inside the base area? I want to put up some big defense systems (laser turrets and missle launchers), but I can't find everything I need. Can I find the materials I need outside of the home base areas? and transfer them to my base-building inventory?

Old 11-12-2015, 01:01 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,938,982 times
Is it mandatory to play in First person or 3rd person or do you have choices? also any particular prefeence? Is this one o f those games where you could have waited for a price drop? I'm sure on black friday they will be dirt cheap?

Old 11-12-2015, 02:26 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,860,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I ****ing love it!

One question: for the crafting portion of the game....all all the resources you need located inside the base area? I want to put up some big defense systems (laser turrets and missle launchers), but I can't find everything I need. Can I find the materials I need outside of the home base areas? and transfer them to my base-building inventory?
Yeah, junk you find while scavenging around does... so pick up those tin cans you find!

There are something like a dozen buildable areas too... I think the stuff you recycle in one area goes into a pool that can be used in any of the areas. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 11-13-2015, 12:08 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,743,251 times
Each buildable area has this red workshop - you can store anything there and all junk stored is available for crafting from nearby workbenches and for base upgrades. A friend that also plays, but in a very different way, said she created and linked several settlements and now she can use junk stashed in any of them in them all.
Generally I love the game so far, even though it is a bit simplified .. but I'm not convinced just yet that dropping the % skills and old mechanics was a bad move.
Generally the game looks great, runs really well (my gtx 660 isn't really top of the line, but the game runs smooth on med details and in full hd) and only crashed once so far in the 15 or so hours I played.
I also love the crafting system, I really do. I am yet to build anything bigger than a shack with a few potato plants around it, but I'll get to it.
The only thing I don't really like right now is how the hud changes when you put on your power armor. I guess I understand why Still, my character is lvl 19 now and I only used the power armor once, when I got it.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games