Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,999 times

Advertisements

According to steve jobs iPhone and iPod touch is coming at the gaming market

Games are serious business for Apple - Citizen Gamer - MSNBC.com
Apple - iPhone
Apple - iPod touch
Apple - iPhone - App Store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:23 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
From looking at Best Buy Online:

The 8GB Touch is $229 ($200 for the Refurb).
The 16GB Touch is $299 ($279 for the Refurb).
The 32GB Touch is $399 ($379 for the Refurb).

The Nintendo DS is $129 brand new.
The Sony PSP is $169 brand new.

Personally, I don't see the value of walking around with a Touch or the iPhone - I've no need to validate my existence with the all-so-mystical ownership of an overhyped and overpriced piece of junk. For the price, I don't see the value of the iPhone or Touch. As stated many times over, many of us true gamers don't care about what the iPod Touch (or phone) may or may not have. From what I've seen of the iPod Touch and its fans, it really is a toy for lonely children who get a lack of true love and attention from their parents.

By "true gamer", I don't care what extra features come with the system. Yes, they can be nifty to play around with. I won't deny that. But if I'm going to drop any amount of my money on a game system, then I'm going to use it mainly for games.

So, unless Apple were to come out with a handheld system with proper controls (not just relying on tilt and touch) and real games - Super Monkey Balls is not a real game - then there's absolutely no chance that actual gamers would toss the DS or the PSP in exchange for the junk Apple releases.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:50 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Can the iTouch/iPhone play Metal Gear: Portable Ops? How about Final Fantasy: Crisis Core? Maybe Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep? 358/2 days? Castlevania anything? Zelda: Phantom Hourglass? Pokemon Platinum?

No?

Then saying that the iTouch/iPhone will give any game-based portable a run for their money is laughable at BEST. Maybe they'll have some nifty features that the PSP/DS doesn't, however, I simply don't care about that. I care about what games are played. And Bejeweled/Super Monkey Ball is no Final Fantasy.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:16 PM

ha you people cant get facts right. even EA made Need for Speed for the iphone and spore, also more games like star wars, crash, tap tap revenge (almost like guitar hero), moto chaser , pocket guitar, cro mag rally, x-plane 9, asphalt 4 elite racing, and more with over 700 hundred games in 60 days.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/gallery/ads/
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...21_848x480.mov

Last edited by NYCBoy1212; 09-19-2008 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
From looking at Best Buy Online:

The 8GB Touch is $229 ($200 for the Refurb).
The 16GB Touch is $299 ($279 for the Refurb).
The 32GB Touch is $399 ($379 for the Refurb).

The Nintendo DS is $129 brand new.
The Sony PSP is $169 brand new.

Personally, I don't see the value of walking around with a Touch or the iPhone - I've no need to validate my existence with the all-so-mystical ownership of an overhyped and overpriced piece of junk. For the price, I don't see the value of the iPhone or Touch. As stated many times over, many of us true gamers don't care about what the iPod Touch (or phone) may or may not have. From what I've seen of the iPod Touch and its fans, it really is a toy for lonely children who get a lack of true love and attention from their parents.

By "true gamer", I don't care what extra features come with the system. Yes, they can be nifty to play around with. I won't deny that. But if I'm going to drop any amount of my money on a game system, then I'm going to use it mainly for games.

So, unless Apple were to come out with a handheld system with proper controls (not just relying on tilt and touch) and real games - Super Monkey Balls is not a real game - then there's absolutely no chance that actual gamers would toss the DS or the PSP in exchange for the junk Apple releases.
hey apple beat sony to the pun, i bet you didnt here that sony had plans of making a psp phone but that was along time ago. now it is no use. And dont be jealous because you cant afford one. Look at your piece of junk you call a phone. the iPhone cost $200. Hey i am a true gamer. dont assume i dont have those systems. as i stated before i have a psp and a ds but i dont play them. i bought them when they first came out. Sony and nintendo cant even beat it for gadget of the year

http://uk.reuters.com/article/techno...rue?sr=hotnews

Old 09-19-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Can the iTouch/iPhone play Metal Gear: Portable Ops? How about Final Fantasy: Crisis Core? Maybe Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep? 358/2 days? Castlevania anything? Zelda: Phantom Hourglass? Pokemon Platinum?

No?

Then saying that the iTouch/iPhone will give any game-based portable a run for their money is laughable at BEST. Maybe they'll have some nifty features that the PSP/DS doesn't, however, I simply don't care about that. I care about what games are played. And Bejeweled/Super Monkey Ball is no Final Fantasy.
hey obviously you guys dont have sources. Those games listed can be easily made for the iPhone and ipod touch. as i stated 2 post ago with games that are at that level.

but anyway apple knows how to design sexy.

http://images.apple.com/ipodtouch/gallery/images/ipodtouch_image4_20080909.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by NYCBoy1212; 09-19-2008 at 03:34 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 04:14 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
ha you people cant get facts right. even EA made Need for Speed for the iphone and spore, also more games like star wars, crash, tap tap revenge (almost like guitar hero), moto chaser , pocket guitar, cro mag rally, x-plane 9, asphalt 4 elite racing, and more with over 700 hundred games in 60 days.

Apple - iPod touch - Gallery - TV Ads
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...21_848x480.mov

Congrats! It can play games that every other cellphone can play! It still won't have the same quality as the DS or the PSP. Quantity=/=quality, and the iPhone/iTouch most certainly shows this.

You name games, now name companies. EA is famous for making cellphone game, sand not everyone likes EA. Like me. Now. List me companies. Companies such as SquareEnix, who has never, ever released a cellphone game outside of Japan because the U.S. STILL cannot handle the games that come out on Japanese cellphones because we're so far behind. How about Konami, who made a Metal Gear game for the cellphone that was not released outside of Japan. Or those Syphon Filters that were not released in the U.S.

What you're showing me is what we call "Shovelware". Basically, games rushed out that aren't up to par quality wise. The iPhone and the iTouch can have all the nifty shovelware games they want, but unless I get me a good epic RPG or a decent FPS game, or even a Devil May Cry type game, I won't care.

As for the sony PSP phone thing, it's already happened. It's called Skype. Look it up. Not that I need it, since I have a nifty Razr. Which is all I need for a phone.

I don't care what's the gadget of the year. Apple products have never interested me. I'm not jealous of your "sexy" iTouch/iPhone, I've got all I want. A PS3, a 360, a Wii, a DS, a SP, and 2 computers that can run Crysis at the max settings. So, no. I'm not jealous. I just don't need to buy expensive products that play crap games to justify my social standing.

And with that, I'm off to play Hellgate: London. Another graphics heavy game that runs beautifully on this system. And maybe later, I'll play some more Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Which runs beatifully on my 360. Or maybe even Crisis Core, which no cellphone will ever play.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:00 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
IMO, there are 3 major issues that will keep Apple from becoming a major player (no pun intended) in the portable game player field:

1) controls. the touchscreen is awesome for some stuff, but it has severe limitations. touchscreen just simply can not give you the same level of control as regular old buttons. this is made even worse by the fact that you must actually touch the iPhone/iTouch screen for it to work, as opposed to using a stylus (yeah, my DS stylus gets lost a lot, but at least it's cheap, plus w/ the DS, anything could be a stylus. it takes a while to get use to the touchscreen on the iPhone/iTouch, to get use to hitting the "q" w/ your finger when you're trying to type a "w"). the iPhone/iTouch could never be used for any sort of game that requires precision, such as shooting or sports games. the accelerometer is a nice feature, especially for racing games, but can't be used as a replacement for real button controls

2) memory. this is a HUGE issue. how many megabytes is a massive RPG like Final Fantasy going to take up? how about a game w/ multiple levels like Super Mario? the main issue w/ the iPhone/iTouch is that they have a finite amount of space. you can't interchange games in and out using a cartridge or disk like w/ a DS or PSP, you can't even switch out a memory card like you can w/ the Sandisk Sansa. if you get sick of the game you have on there, you'll likely need to take it off your player or take something else off to make room for more than one game. and if you take the game off, then what happens? will it save your spot? revert back to the beginning once removed? how long is it going to take for this game to get on/off your player? it takes iTunes at least 10 seconds to load a 30-60 minute audio podcast onto my Nano, how long will it take to load a massive game on there? with my DS, I can carry several lightweight games around w/ me. if I get bored w/ Pokemon Platinum, I can switch it out for Zelda; if I run into a classmate w/ Mario Kart w/ them, I can switch out Zelda, pop in Mario Kart, and have a race. if I can only fit one large game (or several small puzzle games) onto my iPhone/iTouch, what happens if I get bored w/ it and want to play something else? switch to the Internet and hope I can pick up a free hotspot so I can download something else?

3) games. I'm sure Apple has some great games, but when you factor in points #1 and #2, they will be fairly limited to puzzle, trivia, and racing games. not saying they can branch out from these, just not sure how they could do it w/ a touchscreen, no precise controls, and limited memory. w/ the Sony and Nintendo, you have 2 companies that have been producing games for years and have several well known, popular titles. the only other company that could compete with them on this level is Microsoft. now if Microsoft entered the field w/ a portable device that played Xbox games, THEN you'd have some competition w/ Sony and Nintendo, especially if they could carry over the popular XBox Live feature. if MS came out w/ a player, or tweaked the Zune to incorporate some games (they'd have to add in some more buttons of course and not rely on the wheel), then they could basically lock Apple out of this race. Apple has a lot of catching up to do in terms of coming out w/ good, high quality games that will become as much as a household name as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Halo, God of War, Call of Duty, and GTA

the iPhone/iTouch are fine products, but there are just some markets Apple can't dominate, and I don't think they'll make much of a dent in the portable gaming field

Last edited by eevee; 09-19-2008 at 06:19 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Congrats! It can play games that every other cellphone can play! It still won't have the same quality as the DS or the PSP. Quantity=/=quality, and the iPhone/iTouch most certainly shows this.

You name games, now name companies. EA is famous for making cellphone game, sand not everyone likes EA. Like me. Now. List me companies. Companies such as SquareEnix, who has never, ever released a cellphone game outside of Japan because the U.S. STILL cannot handle the games that come out on Japanese cellphones because we're so far behind. How about Konami, who made a Metal Gear game for the cellphone that was not released outside of Japan. Or those Syphon Filters that were not released in the U.S.

What you're showing me is what we call "Shovelware". Basically, games rushed out that aren't up to par quality wise. The iPhone and the iTouch can have all the nifty shovelware games they want, but unless I get me a good epic RPG or a decent FPS game, or even a Devil May Cry type game, I won't care.

As for the sony PSP phone thing, it's already happened. It's called Skype. Look it up. Not that I need it, since I have a nifty Razr. Which is all I need for a phone.

I don't care what's the gadget of the year. Apple products have never interested me. I'm not jealous of your "sexy" iTouch/iPhone, I've got all I want. A PS3, a 360, a Wii, a DS, a SP, and 2 computers that can run Crysis at the max settings. So, no. I'm not jealous. I just don't need to buy expensive products that play crap games to justify my social standing.

And with that, I'm off to play Hellgate: London. Another graphics heavy game that runs beautifully on this system. And maybe later, I'll play some more Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Which runs beatifully on my 360. Or maybe even Crisis Core, which no cellphone will ever play.
have you seen the graphics on the iphone they are much better than any other phone. like i said before companies can make games for the iphone as well so the iphone has much of a future and when i said psp phone i actually mean phone they even showed a design in gameinformer not skype and btw which was coming to iphone but i guess it got denied. and the iphone is sold all around the world which calls for a strong market which companies will make apps to make money off of. a razr is all you need ok thats good for you but to me i want quality for my money . did you even look at the links i posted. And apps can be made by any body especially many people have iphones and ipod touches

Old 09-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
IMO, there are 3 major issues that will keep Apple from becoming a major player (no pun intended) in the portable game player field:

1) controls. the touchscreen is awesome for some stuff, but it has severe limitations. touchscreen just simply can not give you the same level of control as regular old buttons. this is made even worse by the fact that you must actually touch the iPhone/iTouch screen for it to work, as opposed to using a stylus (yeah, my DS stylus gets lost a lot, but at least it's cheap, plus w/ the DS, anything could be a stylus. it takes a while to get use to the touchscreen on the iPhone/iTouch, to get use to hitting the "q" w/ your finger when you're trying to type a "w"). the iPhone/iTouch could never be used for any sort of game that requires precision, such as shooting or sports games. the accelerometer is a nice feature, especially for racing games, but can't be used as a replacement for real button controls
yes yes presumption is ok but wrong It can be used. its a touch screen endless possibilities. the keyboard can switch from vertical to horizontal. The ds touch screen is not sensitive enough basically old technology. Using your fingers is not bad its even good for virtual buttons. like this game i have that has virtual buttons on the side of the screen where you tap the buttons smoothly without lag, non-responsive, and inaccurate results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games