Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:56 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times

Advertisements

In November, Nintendo is releasing a miniature NES that comes with 30 built-in games. Most of these games are the vintage games us old fogeys used to play, such as Donkey Kong and Galaga. It will not be able to connect to the internet and no more games can be added or will be released for the system. I am very excited about it. I don't play video games at all anymore, but it brings back fond memories about playing video games in the arcade and at home, when it was simple and before the internet made it more complicated than I desired. I want that feeling back, and would love to get back in the swing of things and die repeatedly trying to level up on Super Mario Bros. So my wife and I (she's in her early 50s and I'm almost 40) think it will be a lot of fun. It will play the games it advertises, that's all, and that's all it will ever do. You can snag the system for a mere $59.99. I'm going to buy one. What do you think about it?

Nintendo is releasing a miniature NES with 30 built-in games | The Verge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 12:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,737 times
I think it's fantastic and a great way to introduce younger generations to older games. It will also be a good way for older gamers to replay some of these.

I do think there is missed potential here though. Many of us held on to all of our old games and have many of these titles already. Without offering the ability to purchase and download more games in the future I'm not really interested whereas I would be otherwise. It would also be nice if the controller was wireless, because a cord stretching across the room is something I do not miss from older gaming systems.

I don't mean to sound negative though, as I said I think this thing is great and will probably sell incredibly well. There probably aren't enough like me to make a stronger business case for them. I could definitely see purchasing this as a Christmas gift for my nephews.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:45 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
Get a RetroN 5.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:41 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Some of my friends are getting it.

I think it'd make a good gift for a young one, but I don't know these days.

Some kids may be spoiled at the under powered graphics. I mean, my co-worker's kids are already experts at electronic gadgets that are way more advanced than what they had when I was very young.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
I'm looking forward to the pixellated graphics of the days of yore, when all I had to do was point and shoot at something, and before I knew it, my target was history and my initials were on the high score board

Old 07-19-2016, 04:50 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I'm buying this instantly.

Immediately.

Right the eff now.

You know it's going to sell like hot cakes.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:46 PM

540 posts, read 1,097,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I think it's fantastic and a great way to introduce younger generations to older games. It will also be a good way for older gamers to replay some of these.

I do think there is missed potential here though. Many of us held on to all of our old games and have many of these titles already. Without offering the ability to purchase and download more games in the future I'm not really interested whereas I would be otherwise. It would also be nice if the controller was wireless, because a cord stretching across the room is something I do not miss from older gaming systems.

I don't mean to sound negative though, as I said I think this thing is great and will probably sell incredibly well. There probably aren't enough like me to make a stronger business case for them. I could definitely see purchasing this as a Christmas gift for my nephews.

This is just meant to plug and play. Adding in wifi and storage (not to mention an UI and payment method) would add more cost and make things too complex for many people. If you want to play your NES games, you can easily buy a used system or a new clone system like a Retron.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:51 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,411 times
Yeah, I'm much happier with my cloned system I bought. It allows me to play all of MY old games, not the games that Nintendo deems worthy of putting in the system.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:37 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,932,406 times
Galaga is just a poor man's Galaxian. And no Burgertime? WTF?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:01 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Looks like Sega's doing their own thing in response.

The good old days when those two went at each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games