Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,241 times

Advertisements

Some video games causes great impact on kids. Sometimes they compare this with real life scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
I know some video games are vulgar, crude and violent. I do think repeated exposure can lower morality. Do they blur the line in some young minds between gaming and reality? In extreme cases, maybe.

The world is full of 'extreme cases' and you cannot sugar coat and softly pad everyone's reality. I see the world as a vibrant tree that occasionally gets dead twigs and branches. You clip them off and tree does better and looks better.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:23 AM

10 posts, read 8,754 times
There is no exact answer because I find it very private for each person and it mostly depends on real-world perception and life experience. But basically NO, then YES, otherwise violence in games might be banned by governments and equate to extremism.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:35 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Late to the party, just discovered this forum .

No, today’s world isn’t more dangerous. You grew up during the most crime-ridden period in modern American history. By objective measures the country is far safer now. But you and countless other parents think the reverse is true. What accounts for this delusion?

The facts, as explained in my 2002 column on this subject: A crude benchmark of public safety is the violent crime rate reported annually by the FBI. In 1960 the rate was 161 per 100,000 people. Starting in 1963 the rate began rising sharply, reaching 364 by 1970 and peaking at 758 in 1991. Since then it’s dropped steadily: In 2013 it was down to 368, about the same as in 1970.

Assuming you’re now 35, you were born in 1980 or so and were 11 in 1991, the worst year on record. And yet you think it was safer then than now.

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...more-dangerous

There are many articles out there just like this. We hear about killings now... every damn day. You didn't in 1970. 1980. 1990. Overall the 2000s' just keep getting safer....

Old 08-29-2018, 03:48 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
I've had strong emotional responses to some modern games, and I'm 60. I can only imagine what it's like for an impressionable teen. Not that I'd want to deny them the experience at all. But parents should still check on their kids to make sure they're not going over the edge.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:21 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
In light of the horrible incident in Jacksonville last weekend, I think this whole topic will get ginned up again.

The shooter had mental health flags for years, and it seemed significant mental illnesses, and possibly disability. He reminded me a lot of Adam Lanza, the Sandy Hook shooter.

I don't think the fact that he was a gamer or shot up a gaming event was any kind of determinant. Someone like that will find something or someone, somewhere, to go off on.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I've had strong emotional responses to some modern games, and I'm 60. I can only imagine what it's like for an impressionable teen. Not that I'd want to deny them the experience at all. But parents should still check on their kids to make sure they're not going over the edge.
I was an impressionable teen once. I played violent games. I knew then and people do now that shooting pixels on a screen is a game. That no one gets hurt. That is entirely different then actually shooting a real gun at real people.

This reminds me of Ozzy's controversy years ago. Kid killed himself. He had headphones on when they found him with his Ozzy album on the side with 'Suicide Solution'. That must be why he did it.
So dumb.
1st: Kid was going to kill himself already. The music didn't make him do it. Maybe it helped him relax to do it because doesn't music always kind of help us in that way? It does me. Some times it lifts me up and gets me motivated to to that thing I want to do.
2nd: the song lyrics are actually about alcoholism. Killing yourself with booze.
3rd: we have no way of knowing if that was even the track that was on when he actually did the deed. I posit it was much more likely he actually did it during another song on that same side of that "Blizzard of Oz" album....

"I'm going off the rails on a crazy train!"

Old 08-31-2018, 03:08 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I was an impressionable teen once. I played violent games. I knew then and people do now that shooting pixels on a screen is a game. That no one gets hurt. That is entirely different then actually shooting a real gun at real people.
Right, but some people are just wired differently; they have difficulty separating fact from fantasy. Take Robert D. Chain, for example. Strong stimuli can set them off.

Anyway, concerns of this nature usually fall under the "moral panic" moniker. It's happened before: comic books, role-playing games, HIV/AIDS, and now video games.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:49 PM

If you're a normal well adjusted individual, playing these games won't turn you into a mall shooter.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:47 PM

804 posts, read 545,848 times
Neglectful parents
Becoming outcast
cherry picking people
Be seen as a stereotype

Being expected to join the military and dying for your nation when there is no real threat

Inside of a home where you are the only alpha surrounded by BETA's.

Not having enough relationship with god.

I have been through this paranoia already. What is stopping most of us? In my opinion it is god. You are surrounded by cruelty left to right. You know why and who is doing the harm. Then your unable to perform and be normal.

It is like you are not wrong it the people around you who is wrong. You know what is right from what is wrong. Your not stupid and you know why. However it is one big horrible puzzle.

Because you have no good experience. No cushioning in your life. No safety pillow of joy or truth. Then it becomes a problem.

Videogames becomes a problem when people start to attack it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games