Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 05:00 AM

5 posts, read 2,204 times

Advertisements

Who still plays WoW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 05:28 AM

144 posts, read 81,083 times
Ahaha, me from time to time. Actually waiting to try Shadowlands, hoping it won't be as bad as BfA.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:01 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
I played back when WoW came out, but grew tired of the game rather quickly.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:19 PM

628 posts, read 209,477 times
I was playing classic wow until Blizzard pulled that Twitch stunt. Now they've lost my business forever (not that they care).

Old 05-24-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post
I was playing classic wow until Blizzard pulled that Twitch stunt. Now they've lost my business forever (not that they care).
What was the Twitch stunt?

Old 05-26-2020, 05:34 PM

628 posts, read 209,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
What was the Twitch stunt?
You didn't hear about the Hearthstone tournament debacle on Twitch?

Blizzard stripped a tournament winner of their winnings and banned him from competing again because he made a statement post-tournament supporting the Hong Kong people's fight for their rights against mainland China's attempt to enforce legislation in HK that would legalize extradition from HK to mainland in prosecuting anyone in HK who speaks out against the mainland Chinese government.

HK was a mess in marches, protests, the police were mobilized and caught on camera attacking peaceful protesters, innocent people were shot and killed, roaming gangs of police not-in-uniform attacking peaceful protesters, etc etc etc, the story is amazing.

The tournament winner made a one-sentence statement in support of the people of HK standing for their rights. Blizzard went ballistic. After a MASSIVE public outcry against the company, Blizzard offered an apology, reduced the tournament champion's ban down to six months, and awarded him the prize money. They issued an apology here in the United States but then Blizzard China issued a statement in China that completely countered the statement they made here in the USA, continuing to attack the tournament champion's actions and reinforce their support of the Chinese government's heavy-handed rule. Basically, Blizzard lied to the US trying to save face but didn't expect anyone to translate the Chinese press release and publicize their two-faced statements side by side in the US media.

Blizzard permanently fired the two shout casters who happened to be interviewing the guy, too. They didn't say anything. In fact, when the tourney champ made his statement, the two shout casters slid down in their chairs and out of view trying to get off-screen before it was "too late."

During a gaming convention soon after, the Blizzard head honcho came out to make a public statement taking personal responsibility for the mess, very nearly squeezed out a single tear, and then didn't bother correcting their Chinese press release or refute it or recall it, didn't remove the champ's still-ridiculous 6 month ban, and tried to memory-hole the whole ordeal by not talking about it again.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
I do from time to time, mostly to catch up with old friends. Certainly doesn't hold my interest as much as it once did.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post
You didn't hear about the Hearthstone tournament debacle on Twitch?

Blizzard stripped a tournament winner of their winnings and banned him from competing again because he made a statement post-tournament supporting the Hong Kong people's fight for their rights against mainland China's attempt to enforce legislation in HK that would legalize extradition from HK to mainland in prosecuting anyone in HK who speaks out against the mainland Chinese government.

HK was a mess in marches, protests, the police were mobilized and caught on camera attacking peaceful protesters, innocent people were shot and killed, roaming gangs of police not-in-uniform attacking peaceful protesters, etc etc etc, the story is amazing.

The tournament winner made a one-sentence statement in support of the people of HK standing for their rights. Blizzard went ballistic. After a MASSIVE public outcry against the company, Blizzard offered an apology, reduced the tournament champion's ban down to six months, and awarded him the prize money. They issued an apology here in the United States but then Blizzard China issued a statement in China that completely countered the statement they made here in the USA, continuing to attack the tournament champion's actions and reinforce their support of the Chinese government's heavy-handed rule. Basically, Blizzard lied to the US trying to save face but didn't expect anyone to translate the Chinese press release and publicize their two-faced statements side by side in the US media.

Blizzard permanently fired the two shout casters who happened to be interviewing the guy, too. They didn't say anything. In fact, when the tourney champ made his statement, the two shout casters slid down in their chairs and out of view trying to get off-screen before it was "too late."

During a gaming convention soon after, the Blizzard head honcho came out to make a public statement taking personal responsibility for the mess, very nearly squeezed out a single tear, and then didn't bother correcting their Chinese press release or refute it or recall it, didn't remove the champ's still-ridiculous 6 month ban, and tried to memory-hole the whole ordeal by not talking about it again.
Ah yes, I am familiar with that one. For some reason, when you said Blizzard pulled a Twitch stunt, I thought it was something specifically related to WOW, so I got confused. Thanks for clearing it up.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:11 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I only started playing WoW in 2016 after years of claiming I wouldn't start because I didn't want to get addicted.

Eventually, I realized that I am a professional with a master's degree, demanding management job, and leadership roles in my charity work - if I want to play a video game, I can play a video game!

It's certainly been a good source of distraction and a way to force myself away from doom scrolling social media in the past few months.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:07 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I play classic pretty actively.

Retail has gotten awful. I’m not excited for Shadowlands either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games