Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 02:06 PM

14 posts, read 15,421 times

Advertisements

I wonder why there's no video games section on this forums, as it's a hobby many people enjoy. I'm following the development of many MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games) primarily because I'm amazed at how complex those games are, from the networking that has to simulate thousands of players per world (and hundreds in small area during battles) to the engine that has to render continent-sized worlds with all its objects and lighting, and finally the in-house solutions and tools to support character advancement, map generation, structure destruction, etc.. Those recent years, the MMORPGs coming out in the west are mostly developed by independent studios (e.g. Albion Online, Elite-Dangerous (albeit not 100% massively multiplayer), Boundless and Legend of Aria). Currently there are 14 most popular indie MMORPGs in development, and I've made a list with those games' info and gameplay videos.

Dual Universe [Beta]
Setting: Science-Fiction || Focus: PvP || Budget: ~$25M* || Engine: Unigine 2
  • Single shard persistent universe shared by all the players
  • Voxel-based universe: player-made cities, stations and warships
  • Space warfare: pirate ships, coordinated attacks, skirmishes
  • Player-controlled global economy: mine, craft, build, optimize, barter and trade

Crowfall [Beta]
Setting: Medieval Fantasy || Focus: PvP || Budget: $38M || Engine: Unity 5
  • Spiritual successor to Shadowbane
  • Player-created worlds with parcels of terrain and pre-fab building pieces
  • GvG/RvR campaigns that guilds or factions can win
  • Deep crafting system inspired by Star Wars: Galaxies

Camelot Unchained [Beta]
Setting: Medieval Fantasy || Focus: RvR || Budget: ~$27M* || Engine: Unchained
  • Spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot
  • Large-scale RvR battles and sieges with more than a thousand players
  • Open world with islands that players can move to strategically reshape the world
  • Block-by-block construction with server-side stability and destruction

Gloria Victis [Beta]
Setting: Medieval Low-Fantasy || Focus: PvP || Budget: ~$4M* || Engine: Unity 5
  • Skill-based combat mechanics à la Mount and Blade
  • Class-less system with diversified equipment
  • Open world with housing, territory control and sieges
  • Complex crafting system: leatherworking, armorsmithing, weapon forging

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen [Pre-Alpha]
Setting: Medieval Fantasy || Focus: PvE || Budget: $? || Engine: Unity 5
  • Spiritual successor to EverQuest
  • Deeply social: dungeons require teamwork and group strategy
  • Fun climbing system
  • Perception system: the world reveals its secrets through the environment

Ashes of Creation [Alpha]
Setting: Medieval Fantasy || Focus: PvP/PvE || Budget: ~$30M* || Engine: Unreal 4
  • Nodes system: player participation influences the type of content in the surrounding areas
  • Open world housing: players have the ability to survey and develop land anywhere in the world
  • Castle sieges with hundreds of players with many moving parts
  • Harsh, unforgiving and stunning environment

Wild Terra 2 [Beta]
Setting: Medieval Fantasy || Focus: PvE/PvP || Budget: $? || Engine: Unity 5
  • Immersion and adventure: a world full of interconnected little things
  • Every season a new continent will be available, with a variety of biomes and inhabitants, conditions, rules and rewards
  • Various roles: blacksmith, fisherman, doctor, alchemist, sailor, weaver, merchant, farmer, carpenter, cartographer or hunter
  • Raids and sieges: players join groups and clans to siege medieval castles, raid large bosses and adventure in dungeons

Profane [Alpha]
Setting: Medieval Fantasy || Focus: PvP || Budget: $? || Engine: Unity 5
  • Territory conquest: guilds can leave their mark on the game's history by conquering mines and castles
  • Players can build small towns and great cities in the open world
  • No class or level: combat style is determined by what players exercise the most
  • Open PvP and full loot: karma system with restrictions to access cities if the player is a criminal

AdventureQuest 3D [Beta]
Setting: Medieval Fantasy || Focus: PvE/PvP || Budget: $? || Engine: Unity 5
  • Cross platform: can be played on PC and mobile
  • Ever expanding world: exploration of the lively land with new exciting environments
  • Randomly generated dungeons that are unique and offer a new experience every time
  • Random events: dragons could swoop down, the undead may rise, or there could be an Easter egg hunt

Star Citizen [Alpha]
Setting: Science-Fiction || Focus: PvP || Budget: $348M || Engine: Lumberyard
  • Spiritual successor to Freelancer
  • Procedurally generated and handcrafted stunning worlds
  • Open world PvP with high speed dog fights with multi-crew ships or intense FPS warfare
  • Exploration: hidden outpost, abandoned ships and beautiful sunsets

Foxhole [Beta]
Setting: WW1/WW2 || Focus: RvR || Budget: $? || Engine: Unreal 4
  • Single shard with hundreds of players: wars that last several weeks and reset after each war
  • Players are what they carry or drive: player progression is purely horizontal as characters have no stats
  • Three main roles: soldier, logistics, builder, and many sub-roles: medics, drivers, gunners, artillery, partisan, etc.
  • Deep logistics and building mechanics: transportation, factories, scrapping, trenches, bridges, defenses (AI), bunker bases

Corepunk [Alpha]
Setting: Cyberpunk || Focus: PvE/PvP || Budget: $? || Unity 5
  • Seamless open world with top-down view and fog of war
  • Explore the world, participate in trading, complete dungeons, or engage in PvP battles
  • Day / night cycles as well as weather conditions
  • Flexible character customization with a wide variety of builds

Mortal Online 2 [Beta]
Setting: Medieval Fantasy || Focus: PvP || Budget: $? || Engine: Unreal 4
  • Open and realistic sandbox world
  • True, real-time combat where outcomes are decided by skill rather than levels or gear
  • Legendary crafters trading across the globe, famous warriors studying the art of combat
  • Individual reputation: people will recognize you by the impact you've made on the world

Rise Online [Alpha]
Setting: Medieval Fantasy || Focus PvP/PvE || Budget: $? || Engine: Unreal 4
  • Spiritual successor to Knight Online
  • Full PvP-based maps and events
  • PvE content like missions, creatures and bosses that take several groups to defeat
  • An endless war between two kingdoms

Cross post. *Personal estimate, may be inaccurate
Feel free to suggest improvements to this post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 11:18 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisbaud View Post
I wonder why there's no video games section on this forums!
But you just posted this in the "Video Games" section of this forum.

Oh, I see....you are a bot, no? Just joined and all of your posts are like a minute apart.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:48 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
^ I was about to say the same thing. You’ve clearly found the video games sub forum.

Interesting list btw. The only games I’m somewhat familiar with are Star Citizen (it’s been in alpha for so long) and the original Mortal Online, which was praised for its ambition back in the day. I’ll check the list out as I’m interested in seeing what’s going on, though personally I’ve not played any MMO’s in a long time.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
But you just posted this in the "Video Games" section of this forum.
Either it's been moved by a mod, or I'm very confused. I think I've posted my message in the "Hobbies and Recreation" section, as I couldn't find the "Video games".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
^ I was about to say the same thing. You’ve clearly found the video games sub forum.

Interesting list btw. The only games I’m somewhat familiar with are Star Citizen (it’s been in alpha for so long) and the original Mortal Online, which was praised for its ambition back in the day. I’ll check the list out as I’m interested in seeing what’s going on, though personally I’ve not played any MMO’s in a long time.
Yea Star Citizen is the behemoth among the indie MMOs. I wonder what kind of budget they'll end with, when the game finally releases. Possibly +$500M

Old 03-11-2021, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Either it's been moved by a mod, or I'm very confused. I think I've posted my message in the "Hobbies and Recreation" section, as I couldn't find the "Video games".
The video game section is located under entertainment and arts.

Quote:
Yea Star Citizen is the behemoth among the indie MMOs. I wonder what kind of budget they'll end with, when the game finally releases. Possibly +$500M
It could very well go past 500 as the game is nowhere close to being done. There are a lot of rumours floating around suggesting that the game is vaporware. I hope it does eventually come out as I’d love to check it out when it’s complete.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
The video game section is located under entertainment and arts.

It could very well go past 500 as the game is nowhere close to being done. There are a lot of rumours floating around suggesting that the game is vaporware. I hope it does eventually come out as I’d love to check it out when it’s complete.
I'd also like to try this game when it's ready. It's already looking stunning and very complex (at least the tech they're using to create the game). I'll probably never own a computer that can run SC but we never know!

Old 03-12-2021, 12:47 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
I'd say its dead.

The development timeline and consistent delays, with indefinite postponing of Squadron 42 make me highly skeptical that its going to ever be released. If they can't manage to stabilize and release a stand alone single player campaign, they've no chance of releasing a stable persistent, MMO space combat experience.

CP2077 stands as testament to respected developers and long development cycles not creating a worthwhile experience. I suspect without financial backer pressure CP2077 would still be vaporware, much like SC, is. While SC has more investment, the nature of the investment prevents concentrated pressure to complete, no pressure means no urgency, and a "just another thing" culture, or refactoring, thus restabilizing. I'm not optimistic.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I'd also like to try this game when it's ready. It's already looking stunning and very complex (at least the tech they're using to create the game). I'll probably never own a computer that can run SC but we never know!
I’m really hoping is does come out at some point, but I’m sceptical about it. It’s been nearly a decade and they’re still in Alpha. Apparently only one star system is available in the game currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'd say its dead.

The development timeline and consistent delays, with indefinite postponing of Squadron 42 make me highly skeptical that its going to ever be released. If they can't manage to stabilize and release a stand alone single player campaign, they've no chance of releasing a stable persistent, MMO space combat experience.

CP2077 stands as testament to respected developers and long development cycles not creating a worthwhile experience. I suspect without financial backer pressure CP2077 would still be vaporware, much like SC, is. While SC has more investment, the nature of the investment prevents concentrated pressure to complete, no pressure means no urgency, and a "just another thing" culture, or refactoring, thus restabilizing. I'm not optimistic.
Cyberpunk was a major letdown in a lot areas, though I still enjoy bits of it. Unfortunately, the game has been collecting dust. I’ve not gone back to it in over a month, despite being nowhere near done with it. It’s a real shame as I was all over Witcher 3 when it came out

Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I’m really hoping is does come out at some point, but I’m sceptical about it. It’s been nearly a decade and they’re still in Alpha. Apparently only one star system is available in the game currently.
Yea and if I'm correct they had to remove an entire planet earlier this year to make some space for new content. If it's the case it's not a good omen for all the systems they're supposed to implement in the future. Hopefully they can upgrade their server tech to allow more planets and suns running on their servers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games