Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 12:10 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,155 times

Advertisements

Source

This week is the game festival known as Gamecon, which is basically the E3 of Japan.

Now, anyone who's been paying attention to gaming news these past few weeks has seen numerous leaks of a new model of PS3, the PS3 slim (a smaller version of the PS3, like the PSone was to the PS1 and the PS2 slimline was to the PS2) has been making surface.

Dating back way back to almost the beginning of the year, when leaked pictures from a manufacturer in China showed pics of the PS3 Slim.

Well, today, at Sony's press conference, they announced numerous things. XMB 3.0, which is an update to the dash which adds more functionality, Digital Media On Demand for the PSP (basically, you can buy comics and view them on the PSP), and now the PS3 Slim, which comes as no surprise. Also, the console comes with an internal memory of 120gb.

What does come at a suprise is how soon the console is coming out (First week of September), and the price point of the console.

$299.

That's right. $299. In Europe, that's 299 euros. In japan, that's 29989 yen.

Basically, the PS3 is now cheaper than the Elite model of the Xbox 360 (the only model worth anything.) This price drop also applies to the current 80gb model, which the Slim will be replacing. ALso note, that the 160gb model is showing ap rice drop to $399.

Sony just won the console war between the 360 and the PS3.

I guarantee it.

*edit*

I have a picture for it now:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
How is the Elite model the only one worth anything? I'm doing just fine with my first revision (20GB) 360 playing the latest games. I'd take a bare bones 360 without a hard drive before you can stick me with a PS3. Sony has lost this round some time ago with both MSFT and Sony well along the way to developing next gen platforms. I love how you assume that MSFT won't counter a price drop by reducing pricing on the 360.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:33 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
How is the Elite model the only one worth anything? I'm doing just fine with my first revision (20GB) 360 playing the latest games. I'd take a bare bones 360 without a hard drive before you can stick me with a PS3. Sony has lost this round some time ago with both MSFT and Sony well along the way to developing next gen platforms. I love how you assume that MSFT won't counter a price drop by reducing pricing on the 360.

Considering that Microsoft just raised the price of the 360 in the UK, I don't think it's very likely they're about to announce a price drop.

The PS3 and the 360 have equal standing in terms of games. However, the PS3 has better options when it comes to media and such. THe main thing the 360 has over the PS3 is that it has more DLC. Outside of that, the Ps3 is a superior console.

ANd the elite is the only option on the market that's worth it, because there are only 2 options. The hard drive-less Arcade, and the Elite.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:09 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,825 times
I think this is neat, but they STILL HAVE NOT MADE IT LIKE A COMPONENT!!!!!

I really want a version that will fit in my stereo cabinet (with those feet that give it enough space for ventilation).

Where do I have to yell this at them until they get the message? DO no Japanese electronics manufacturer have any clue what looks best to the American public?

this looks like a SLIM version of the Foreman grill!!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Considering that Microsoft just raised the price of the 360 in the UK, I don't think it's very likely they're about to announce a price drop.

The PS3 and the 360 have equal standing in terms of games. However, the PS3 has better options when it comes to media and such. THe main thing the 360 has over the PS3 is that it has more DLC. Outside of that, the Ps3 is a superior console.

ANd the elite is the only option on the market that's worth it, because there are only 2 options. The hard drive-less Arcade, and the Elite.
As far as a gaming console, the 360 is superior (DLC and online features). The PS3 may have some more flexible media sharing options but those features aren't a deal breaker for me because I would never use them. My 360 streams audio and video from any computer on my network which is more than enough for me because I barely use that feature as it is. The only feature the PS3 has that I would value is the Bluray player but at this point Bluray is not taking the market by storm and by the time it does standalone consumer Bluray players will be dirt cheap (already getting there) and the next wave of consoles will have Bluray playback built in.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,057 times
This makes the PS3 a good deal for Blu-Ray and gaming, since most all $200-300 Blu-Ray players are slower than PS3, however PS3 is probably a little noisier than stand alone players. I noticed BestBuy has the current version on their website for $299 with LittleBigPlanet and Wall-E Blu-Ray.

As far as "next wave of consoles will have Bluray playback built in," Sony owns a fair share of Blu-Ray technology, which none of the other console makers do, so all other console makers would have to license it.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:19 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
We're getting this, our 60GB PS3 sadly broke (has an orange light) about 2 months ago, the PS3 Slim was a rumor so we've been holding out for a new PS3 but this was finally announced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games