Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:15 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
To me, video games have gotten TOO complex.... Maybe it's my age, but I used to be SO good at all of these games. Now it seems in Madden you need to be able to punch a rapid combination of 6 buttons in succession to pull off the move you are intending and such and it's gotten FAR too frustrating.....

IMO in the attempt to capture realism, many games have gotten too difficult to play...
I see the exact opposite problem, games are getting too simple. But then again I am a PC gamer, I like games like the Civilization series, the SimCity series, Europa Universalis, pretty much any of the 4x games.

It seems that game makers are focusing more on casual gamers and console gamers now. There hasn't been a good city simulator since SimCity4 Rush Hour was released in 2003! Fortunately tho, the fanbase has created a huge amount of custom content and I still enjoying playing it.

Civ IV is another of my favorites, and I have been anticipating a new release soon. Unfortunately, the next Civ game is going to be a Facebook game. Seriously! I wish that was just some sort of joke but its not. Again the fanbase has saved the day with a lot of great mods for CivIV so I will have something to play instead of Civilization:Farmville.

I waited for years for the release of Spore and had high expectations. Well Spore is ok but certainly not the caliber of game that I was expecting. Rumor has it that the game had to be simplified and cuteified to appeal to more gamers.

For me the golden age is definitely over, but for other types of gamers things are still looking good I would think. Certainly many of friends who play the Facebook games seem to enjoy them greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:53 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I see the exact opposite problem, games are getting too simple. But then again I am a PC gamer, I like games like the Civilization series, the SimCity series, Europa Universalis, pretty much any of the 4x games.

It seems that game makers are focusing more on casual gamers and console gamers now. There hasn't been a good city simulator since SimCity4 Rush Hour was released in 2003! Fortunately tho, the fanbase has created a huge amount of custom content and I still enjoying playing it.

Civ IV is another of my favorites, and I have been anticipating a new release soon. Unfortunately, the next Civ game is going to be a Facebook game. Seriously! I wish that was just some sort of joke but its not. Again the fanbase has saved the day with a lot of great mods for CivIV so I will have something to play instead of Civilization:Farmville.

I waited for years for the release of Spore and had high expectations. Well Spore is ok but certainly not the caliber of game that I was expecting. Rumor has it that the game had to be simplified and cuteified to appeal to more gamers.

For me the golden age is definitely over, but for other types of gamers things are still looking good I would think. Certainly many of friends who play the Facebook games seem to enjoy them greatly.
Well, we're talking about different genres of games as far as this issue is concerned.... I still like the Civ games and such. I'm referring more to the Sports and Action games that require you to hit the right combo of 12 buttons in a row for your guy to do what you want him to do and such...

Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,302 times
I'm loving this generation of games. Sure, it's packed with shooters that can get a bit repetitive but gaming still is moving forward, especially with regards to graphics.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is an excellent example of that. It's a bit like Tomb Raider, but the story and graphics are unparalleled. They really blew me away.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Does anyone else feel like the golden age of gaming is behind us?
No way. How can you say that? With the continuing development of technology, and the current rate that gaming industry outsells and outearns the movie industry, we have not yet even begun to see the zenith of gaming. It will continue to get better and better

Old 12-26-2009, 09:50 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
No way. How can you say that? With the continuing development of technology, and the current rate that gaming industry outsells and outearns the movie industry, we have not yet even begun to see the zenith of gaming. It will continue to get better and better
I can say that because I feel like creativity and originality has taken a back seat to corporate affairs. Companies don't want to take any chances anymore so we get the same crap over and over with sparklier graphics because they know the general public will eat it up. The same reason the golden age of the movie making industry is commonly accepted to be in the 60's and 70's. The same reason the music industry has been hijacked by American idol's with perfect voices and no character. I realize gaming is a business but these companies were making money back when they were putting out new and original stuff too. I'll take my Super Nintendo and PS1 games over Xbox 360 and PS3 games any day. I hope I'm wrong though. I hope that games see a renascence similar to what the Dreamcast was trying to do before Sony put them out.

People seem to be easily distracted by graphics.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:36 AM

85 posts, read 202,283 times
I can honestly say that I don't really agree. I of course will concede the point that there is a decent amount of redundancy in a large amount of games that have been coming out for the past several years, but there are still a number of games that in my opinion have been absolutely wonderful to play, visually stunning, and quite creative.

I am a big PC gamer, and some of the more recent titles that really drew me in and that I enjoyed for their creativity were most of the recent games by Bethesda Softworks, like Oblivion and Fallout 3; I also really enjoyed Bioshock and cannot wait for the second one to come out; and of course several of the Valve games, like Portal and the Half-Life games (I know those are a bit older, sorry).

As far as console games, I can honestly say that as many times as Zelda remakes a game, I am constantly amazed by how incredibly entertaining it is. Mirrors Edge was an incredibly fun game, I loved both of the God of War games, the Prince of Persia games (though I haven't gotten to the newest remake yet) and I really adored Shadow of the Colossus when that came out as well because of its originality and creativity.

I of course, will agree that some of the older games you really cannot beat. How many times do I wish that I still have my old Sim City game or Day of the Tentacle because of how innovative and singularly creative they were? More than I can count. But there are still people that are really working on keeping it that way with newer games that come out, although they often do unfortunately have lots of limitations as far as corporations giving them limited time to make and perfect their games.

I suppose my long winded response really just boils down to this: a ton of the older games were awesome, and even though you might have to search harder to find them nowadays, there are still some great titles out there that can be just as enjoyable.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:31 AM

^^^ we're saying pretty much the same thing. You're just saying it more positively than I am lol. Good, original games are getting harder and harder to find hence the golden age of gaming might be behind us (but hopefully not).

I'll admit I enjoyed Bioshock. It put a really cool flair on the fps genre. I also stated that I liked Mirror's Edge in my original post too. I liked that game a lot! It's the only game in recent times that I can think of that gave me the excitement of experiencing something fresh and new. The graphics enhanced the experience insted of driving it which is the way it should be. The game that gave me that experience before Mirror's Edge was Okami I think. (even though it played a lot like Zelda).

Old 12-28-2009, 11:50 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
No, I don't. I find the quality of play with games nowadays consistent with the quality of play in the "old" days. Games nowadays are no better and no worse than games back then.

Each generation has its great releases, its okay releases, and its bad releases. And each generation has one genre that the companies spam the most titles out of.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
No, I don't. I find the quality of play with games nowadays consistent with the quality of play in the "old" days. Games nowadays are no better and no worse than games back then.

Each generation has its great releases, its okay releases, and its bad releases. And each generation has one genre that the companies spam the most titles out of.
You have a point. Final Fantasy VII came out and everyone was trying to be the next one of those. Halo came out and now everyone is trying to be the next that. I've always been an RPG guy and the gaming industry has been pretty dry with those lately.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
You have a point. Final Fantasy VII came out and everyone was trying to be the next one of those. Halo came out and now everyone is trying to be the next that. I've always been an RPG guy and the gaming industry has been pretty dry with those lately.
I'm an RPG man myself. While there isn't nearly as much RPG releases as there were in the PSone/PS2 days, we still see some quality releases, such as Tales of Vesperia for the 360, and even Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, which in my opinion, is better than the original FFVII. Not to mention Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Last Remnant, etc. It's suprising to see the turnaround the 360 has made in RPGs in comparison to the Xbox.

I guess I'm lucky that I can enjoy every genre out there (with the exception of simulation). So that even if my favourite genre, RPGs, are sparse, I still find solace in action titles or FPS games. ONe of my favourite games this generation is Metal Gear Solid 4, for instance. ANd it's also on my top 15 of all time.

I just think that sometimes people look at the past generations with rosy glasses, and don't actually realize that every generation follows pretty much the same trend. You just have either find your niche and stick with it, or learn to become flexible in every genre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games