Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,941 times

Advertisements

...cause I do. I was in Gamestop recently and saw pretty much the same ol crap for twice the price. Lots and lots of first person shooters and Grand Theft Auto's. The wii seems to be the only platform still trying to be original.

I remember when (THE) Final Fantasy VII first came out and Goldeneye 007 and Parappa the Rapper, Tomb Raider was still cool, squaresoft was actually doing other games besides Final Fantasy (Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, etc), and Resident Evil came out and changed survival horror games forever. It seems like no one wants to take a chance with something original anymore. The whole gaming world nowadays seems to revolves around Halo, Modern Combat, Guitar Hero, Grand Theft Auto, and Soul Caliber.

The only major game in recent times that seemed to be original was Mirror's Edge... Which was an awesome game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,684,789 times
I remember when computer games use to line the shelves of such places. Now they have a bargain bin of computer games hidden in the back somewhere because of all the console games. I was never much for console games. I love my PC.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:45 PM

I used to play a lot of MYST and Riven consumed my life for a few months. You're right though. You don't see as many computer games as you used to. Probably in part to Microsoft encouraging development for XBox over windows now.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,955 times
I remember the days of shelves lined with Atari 2600 cartridges. Sadly, technological advances ruined that as well.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:22 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,808,929 times
Heck I think the best years of gaming were before that with the wars between Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Heck I think the best years of gaming were before that with the wars between Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.
Oh those were some good times too! I remember unpackaging my Genesis and seeing Sonic 2 in the box and thinking "Wow look how small the cartrage is! So high tech!" I played a lot of Chrono Trigger and Super Mario World too.

Of course back then they included an extra controller and a free game with the system.

I personally think that the Playstation/Saturn/N64 years were the perfect marriage of technology coming into it's own and developers still putting out a lot of variety.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
...cause I do. I was in Gamestop recently and saw pretty much the same ol crap for twice the price. Lots and lots of first person shooters and Grand Theft Auto's. The wii seems to be the only platform still trying to be original.

I remember when (THE) Final Fantasy VII first came out and Goldeneye 007 and Parappa the Rapper, Tomb Raider was still cool, squaresoft was actually doing other games besides Final Fantasy (Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, etc), and Resident Evil came out and changed survival horror games forever. It seems like no one wants to take a chance with something original anymore. The whole gaming world nowadays seems to revolves around Halo, Modern Combat, Guitar Hero, Grand Theft Auto, and Soul Caliber.

The only major game in recent times that seemed to be original was Mirror's Edge... Which was an awesome game.

Hell No! We are in the middle of the golden age of gaming right now and I think it will only get better.

I just finished my first COD6 playthrough and even though it was #6 it was still a jaw dropping experience. GTA 4 was also great and I am a confirmed soul calibur junkie. But that is hardly the sum total of all gaming; there are hundreds of titles for every genre and LOTS of creativity being put into them. Games these days are generally eye-popping, immersive, huge, complicated yet still intuitive and and all together great! I wouldn't go back to 90's gaming for anything.

I have Mirror's Edge too, and I liked it as well, even though the movements of the game made me sick if I played it too long. But it wasn't that incredibly unique either; it drew heavily from older cyberpunk sources like Ghost in the Shell for it's vibe.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
I think the we're in a slow-ish part aside from some of the blockbuster games coming out now, but the golden age is certainly not over. Heck, it might just be getting started. I hope things continue to get better, but I'm getting a little tired of having to buy a new console every few years to keep up.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:53 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,893,748 times
I think in some ways the technology has overshadowed the games. Similar with movies, how some directors have gone cgi and digital effects crazy, and they get away from what made movies successful in the first place. I.e. George Lucas with Star Wars 1-III, vs IV-VI.

I havent really kept up with games much this decade. Outside of grand theft auto, which I thought was brilliant and groundbreaking series. And some others stand out, mario galaxy, and some of the zeldas.

-Like the sports games I havent kept up with. Whats the difference between Madden 03 and Madden 07 or 08? Or Nascar 02 vs 06. Just small details and improvements.

-Some franchises have run out of steam like tony hawk. Games now are missing the great soundtracks from the 90's. Some of the early tony hawks had maybe THE best skateboard soundtrack of all time, never to be topped.

-The mario games were groundbreaking. Remember the overworld map in Super Mario World. That was HUGE. Or Mario 64, just playing the first level, that was huge. Those were seminal moments in video game history.

-I use to play goldeneye forever. Thats when cheat codes meant something. Remember the odd job cheats, and rumors of playing as sean connery. I think cheats have been devalued.

-I still like the old 80's games like paperboy. Classic 80's. A few months ago I was playing super ghouls and ghosts. There are many great soundtracks from the 90's that I think have been forgotten (i.e. actraiser).

Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,301,541 times
To me, video games have gotten TOO complex.... Maybe it's my age, but I used to be SO good at all of these games. Now it seems in Madden you need to be able to punch a rapid combination of 6 buttons in succession to pull off the move you are intending and such and it's gotten FAR too frustrating.....

IMO in the attempt to capture realism, many games have gotten too difficult to play...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games